Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobbridge 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I spoke to 3 different people today bemoaning unable to recruit apprentices

Cant see anyone biting for a jobbridge scheme at a deli counter in present climate

That's me out of a job when my boss here's of this

Dont like this new boards at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Take on someone and put them at risk of contracting covid on crap pay. Hope these workplaces have good insurance because I'd be going all out with these fückers.

Also how will a scheme like this work with covid around?

Surely anyone can claim distress and stress due to a lack of safety measures or even having to wear face masks. Can people actually sue workplaces for this type of stress/lack of safety measures?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll let you know once my place tries to force me back in in a couple of months.

Just a few things about this. How did they decide to put people out of work and give them the pandemic unemployment payment of €350 a week. €350 a week was what was needed to get by. How are they are expecting people to work for less now?

Looking up online, there is plenty of information online for those taking up a placement. Yet no information about the host organisation and how the scheme will be monitored.

The government's review of jobbridge 1.0 found that companies put people out of work and replaced by someone they didn't have to pay. Yet, here they are ignoring all that and going ahead again with another exploitation scheme.

This exploitation of people shouldn't be allowed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

We have a long history of our governments ignoring precedent and ploughing on anyway. The fact that they are choosing to ignore the obvious problems with farming out cheap labour to companies who'll exploit it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

• Advertisement

I had a look at a few of these placements and they're worded the same, it's about gaining meaningful work experience.

At the same time, they are taking away a meaningful job from someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

Who is 'they' exactly? When did they bring this back? And who did? Give me names.

How is it exploitation? Nobody is making anyone do this scheme, it's completely optional.

I think it's a good idea, it'll give people an opportunity to get some work experience in a new line of work and give them a taste for it. Especially those that have lost their jobs due to Covid. There's certain industries that may never bounce back. If I was in one if them I would jumping at a chance to get into something different using this scheme. If they don't like it or they find their not getting the experience, they can simply leave.

I know loads of people that used Jobbridge to get their foot in the door and into a job they wouldve never had a chance of securing had Jobbridge not been around.

These schemes are never optional when they threaten to cut your social welfare if you don't take up a placement.

I will be out of a job at the end of my contract because of this. That is a guarantee. I currently get 470euro a week after tax. I will end up unemployed for 6 months so that I can take up one of these positions because no employers are hiring properly.

So it's putting me out of work and many others and for someone else to be forced into a position they might not want at all. And I'll end up with 170euro less per week.

Someone explain that to me? I completely agree with the experience part but it should be the old fashioned way of actually hiring someone and offering them a meaningful job. Not exploitation of the unemployed.

It says the scheme is voluntary so they can't cut your payment. So it is optional. Completely at the person's choice as to whether they do the scheme or not.

I don't know what industry you're in but your statement that no employers are hiring currently is completely incorrect. Companies are crying out for staff currently.

This working scheme was only introduced this week. Give employers some time to find out about it. You wait and see.

Also, they said it was voluntary for that last jobbridge scheme, and that is what they ended up doing. Forcing people onto these schemes because if you don't you're not showing how determined you are to get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Borrowed time

Local business man is rubbing his hands at the moment.Boasting how he will be as to get employees for next to nothing while he drives around in his brand new car.The country is a disgrace and now the SEETEC JOBPATH joke being extended.More money being paid to a private company which isn't even Irish.

Probably putting them in public facing "job", and putting them at risk for catching covid as well. It's a disgrace that they are doing this again but not only that putting their health at risk on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This crap again?

It'll get abused by so many employers. Just like before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

As Seamus Joyce once wrote: "Ireland is the old sow that eats her farrow". Never a truer sentence written in the English language.

I see the young are again being teed up to pay the price for the current economic storm. No emigration release valve this time so if they try to put an entire generation through "internships" in delis we could see trouble. I hope this blows up in their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I did a 6 month stint on job bridge 1.0 back in summer 2011.

Something like 243 a week for a 40hr job, and I'd to move to Dublin to do it. Worked in ballsbridge, lived in fairview. Needed to walk each way as no money for buses after rent and bills and food.

Still. It got me some good experience, I left the job bridge position for a paid role. Haven't been out of work in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I wonder who lost their job so the employer could hire you on Jobbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will you be Turas Nua'ed into doing it?🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just to clarify, correct initial PUP was €350 pw across the board but important to point out since last September rates dropped reflecting previous earnings, in essence more that half of recepients had rate reduced, many as low as €203 pw, at a guess not more than 12% actually retained full rate of €350 and from the 7th September students returning to education loosing it all together and those on current lowest rate moving to what is being described as Jobseekers terms (whatever that means)

Obviously there's need to review all pandemic supports and come up with creative ways regarding job creation, up skilling etc, I'm not sure govs recent announcements will offer much hope but as long as that appalling and horrendously expensive non results Jobspath is not in the mix, I'd be supportive of anything that offers genuine support rather than schemes that just serve to mask unemployment figures.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

If they're crying out for staff why introduce jobsbridge? I can remember 2014 getting relatively well paid contract working in a company that had hired extensively from jobsbridge. It was very stressful, how do you justify getting paid full wage while the others are on jobsbridge?

So yes, I think jobsbridge is very difficult for employees in the private sector on non lifetime government contracts, depresses wages in general and means the government (read private sector employees/ business) has to sponsor a scheme that reduces the number of real jobs.

On the flip side, it's probably very helpful for startups with little cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

oh the naivety!

don’t you remember the last Jobsbridge scheme?

This scheme is not just for the young. It's for those between 18-65. So a 50 year old should have experience and have transferrable skills already built up but that's not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

For eternity various governmentshave assumed skills are easily transferable. It might be the case for certain skills, age cohorts but frankly impossible in some situations.

I've been helping a 59/60 year old neighbour who spent his entire life on building sites in unskilled rolls navigate and engage (discretely) with a shower from Jobspath. You couldn't actually make up some of the tasks requested of him, I'm taking about someone who thinks what's app is an expression of a greeting.

Hounded weekly and I might add remotely from a recruitment consultant (that's all they are) sitting at home on their useless fat A**** being essentially paid by the state at enormous cost to cajole people into wholly unsuitable work. My neighbour even asked if he could do a community employment scheme I stead, no, no, no was the attitude. These Jobspath companies get fees as long as clients are engaged. To date well over €200 million wasted and less than 8% job retention achieved and that's only those lasting 12 months.

It's a bizzare thing to say but it would be far more cost affective just to leave a certain cohort on a basic social welfare payment.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement