Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prosecutions of British military veterans in Northern Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,868 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Will you stop.

You could accuse any supporter/voter for any party of the above.

Trite nonsense to avoid having to debate an issue.

Where anywhere have i glorified this,or anything,only that i view someone as more honourable than the paras/british government surronding bloody sunday

.....speaking of child killers....how many did yous heroic paras kill on blood sunday or throughout the troubles??

And how is changing laws to cover up war crimes now deemed honourable by you goys

Whenever the likes of Jamie Bryson or posters on here don't want to confront the fact that state collusion and killing is fundamentally different to paramilitary killing the 'glorification' nonsense eventually comes out.

Programme on ballymurphy massacre on rte 1 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, watching. Appalling stuff. Murdering bastards.

• Advertisement

Made in 2018, took RTE 3 years to show it.

What more can be said about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,835 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This x1000

Many SF/PIRA supporters will cry foul when the British did something sneaky.

Yet, when its one of their own, well hey, as the poster you are referring to said once, 'It is not a crime to fight for Ireland', or the best yet, it was a war and regrettable things happened, as they do in all wars.... or something like that.

I guess blowing up babies and children isn't a crime then, as it's for 'da cause'.

Grade A hypocrites many of them are.

'Something sneaky'????????

Jesus what is wrong with you people.

Kinda like saying, when a bomb kills a 3-year-old toddler, saying it was worth it for the cause, as it helped Nationalists.... eh?

Here you go with the stock lies again rather than just call out government murder and collusion.

• Advertisement

I have been on record saying that people who are guilty of such things, be it Solder F, or whoever should be brought before the courts and sentenced.

But I am not a fool either. SF will ham this stuff up for political purposes, while they protect their own.

SF has it in its power to help the victims of the Guildford and Birmingham bombs for example but refuses to cooperate with that inquiry. Why is that?

You have repeatedly stated there should be no hierarchy of victims, but it seems you care more about the people who pulled the trigger for ideological purposes than anything else, to make political hay out of it.

Using the dead, to garner more votes. That is what people are up to here.

Typical reply.

Can't call government murder and collusion for what it was without the tired old...themuns were worse.

Did you see the programme tonight...were those people 'looking for votes' 'Hamming it up'? (There wasn't a SF member on it BTW)

*The IRA have been clear for decades, there will take part in a Truth Recovery process when all the players sit down in an open and transparent process.

That will never happen when the likes of your party allow the British to hide behind obfuscation, and cover up. They have to be pressured to take responsibility for what they done and lead a proper legacy process.

Francie, do you support calls for a public inquiry into the Birmingham bombs and would you call for all in SF/PIRA to cooperate with it?

Yes to the inquiry, and emphatic No to calling on anybody to co-operate. Why would they? One sided justice?

I support a full Truth Recovery Process with ALL the players at the table.

Justice for all or do a FG/FF power swap stunt and forget about it all and lock all the testimony away until all are dead and we can have another 100 years of sniping and festering wounds.

Haha, so you want one side to be fully transparent, while you are OK with SF/PIRA hiding behind decades of anonymity and protecting the people who murdered 22 innocent civilians.

Case closed for you I think. People can judge for themselves the forked tongue language.

Again with the sickening excusing of government killing and collusion.

If you are ok with a government being the same as a paramilitary organisation you go right ahead. YOU are the problem.

I want Truth for all. And that MUST start with 'democratically' elected governments.

You cannot help yourself revealing what you are. You only want the Shinners hurt politically, you don't care about the people here. You are as transparent as the British attempt to give an amnesty to their own.

I am not excusing anything. In fact, it appears you want to have a hierarchy of victims here. You want the victims of Bloody Sunday and the like put on a pedestal first and foremost, while you reject any notion that SF/PIRA would cooperate in any investigation where other innocent civilians died.

If you want the 'Truth for all', then why do you reject the notion that SF/PIRA cooperate with any investigation into the Birmingham bombings? It costs nothing to do the right thing.

Ill ask again, why don't you ask SF/PIRA to cooperate with any public inquiry into the Birmingham bombings? Because it may hurt SF?

Thought so!

Where have sinn fein called for no cooperation with birmingham bombings,and when did they change the law to cover it up??

Mate,as regards hurting sf,after all this time,its perplexing that liberials still dont get it,people simply dont care,

and want change from decades of ffg misrule (jesus wept,the messing with zappone is basically open contempt for the public imo)

,be that via soc dems or shinners,who remain the largest viable option,its long since time to paraphrase tony holohan,"break the chain of contempt"

I didn't 'reject' any notion.

Read again: I said I would not call on the IRA to enter a process of Truth Recovery on their own.

That HAS to be all players or none.

If that is not clear that is your problem not mine.

Please do not extrapolate that into a hierarchy of victims.

I do have a hierarchy of responsibility though, something wholly missing in your biased and pathetic deflecting blame game, as any reading the thread can see. You and people like you, use victims for political game all the time - the 'selective list of victims of one side'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

aye - I see you avoid mentioning when the army kill civilians. typical.

• Advertisement

Well, as someone who has defended the New IRA and the murder of Lyra McKee you have no credibility here I am afraid.

You have a hierarchy of responsibility because it suits you politically. That is all.

It is a pity you wouldn't lobby SF/PIRA to help out other innocent victims, yet bang the drum when 'Da Brits' do the same as SF.....

As I said, SF are Grade A hypocrites here.

No.

I have a heirarchy of responsibility because as the world now knows only too well, a government colluded with a sectarian statelet until it went up in flames and was a player/combatant in the conflict/war that followed. A conflict/war that was wrong from the beginning.

You tend to support that government and the remnants of that sectarian statelet politically just as the power swap chose to do. Even if you pretend to be critical of them, you are only really doing it to score cheap political point.

Keywords there Francie,

"You have a hierarchy of responsibility"

That is you, nobody else. A very very convenient excuse to be political on victims' rights to justice. I guess Ireland should have just invaded the North, eh? Sort them out!! lol

I have never had any shame or compunction about blaming the responsible government for allowing a set of circumstances to exist that resulted in conflict/war.

I also want a Truth Recovery process primarily for the victims, even if that results in prosecutions for whomever.

There is a single word of complaint from me about the sentences served by convicted IRA men and women or their deaths n active service. They have their share of blame for what happened too.

YOU come on a thread about the states involvement in murder, cover up and amnesty and all you want to do is point the finger at SF and you accuse me of being 'political'.

Sad, pathetic and nauseous.

You are being political Francie because you are denying the very fact that it was SF/PIRA who escalated the conflict to what it became. It was they who started a bombing campaign across the North and on the UK mainland.

You are the person who thinks that the Warrington bombing was warranted and indeed was justified as it helped Nationalists and Catholics in the North.

All the while forgetting that the IRA were, undemocratically may I add, fighting for a United Ireland, something they failed to achieve.

Maybe Ireland should have just invaded the North, and all would have been well? Eh?

Lies again about Warrington. Scurrilous lies. Not to mention a seriously bad grasp of history, not the first time you showed that.

You aren't worth debating Mark because of what you will stoop to try and goad. Another FGer who lies when caught in a bind.

Did you not advocate that Ireland invade the North, multiple times?

Your views on Warrington are on the record. You tried to say it was wrong with the classic 'but' afterwards, which was a veiled attempt to justify the bombing or indeed any bombings the PIRA carried out that killed innocent people.

"It was a war and bad things happen in a war" is the usual summary.

Until of course, we talk about 'da Brits' then, of course, they are responsible for everything and anything...

I'm not an FG'er either by the way.

No I didn't advocate an invasion, I advocated a humanitarian incursion that did not attack any British installations and was flagged internationally as such...you twisted and lied about what I said.

You asked what the IRA's thinking was about Warrington and what it achieved for them. You twisted and lied about my answer which was analytical and never once voiced support for what they where doing.

I have said repeatedly that they all bear a share of the blame and responsibility but that the primary responsibility lies with those who created the circumstances for conflict/war. You lie and twist that too into me ONLY blaming the British.

• Advertisement

A 'humanitarian incursion' by the Irish army into a foreign jurisdiction. Right out of Putin's playbook there ala Ukraine and Crimea.....

You can call it whatever you like, if you are sending Irish Troops into another country uninvited, it's an invasion..... You can call a sheep a pig, but it's still a sheep. We have been down this road, and you were rightly laughed out of the place when you raised that piece of gold.

Let us not forget, that we should not have accepted the treaty either and advocated, doing 'whatever it took', including invasion to stop the partition of the country.... You seem to be a fan of invading the North tbh.

As for the rest of it, its been done and discussed before. I have always asked a simple question. How did killing toddlers in the UK help the average Catholic and Nationalist in the north. The answer is of course, it didnt... but some hang onto to notion that it had to mean something... right...something good had to come from it, otherwise it was just pointless murder...?

Well that all it was, pointless murder. No buts, no if's.

Advertisement