Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PCR checks Dublin Airport - how rigorous ?

2»

Comments

Have discovered that flying with Swiss entitles me to PCR for Fr. 110. This in combination with checks before boarding here mean I will get PCR. Also PCR testing centre needs to be listed on Passenger Locator Form. So end of story for me. Will keep forum informed here of how Irish guy and family with only antigen test manages (he will sms me). Will also relate own experience later. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

When I returned to Ireland before eu dcc was introduced,gardai checked pcr certs.including the date the pcr was done.

I'd say now eu dcc is in place (at least the case in spain) they could have dedicated staff checking the certs prior to immigration (but who knows).

Many airlines already refuse boarding to ppl who only have text messages or antigen tests. for those who get through and don't have suitable evidence of a negative pcr or double vaccine 2 weeks before (1 week for pfizer) they can look forward to an all inclusive hotel stay on arrival.

Remember,the eu dcc states when 2nd vaccine was given, and whether test was pcr or antigen and when test was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Timfy

The OP is also asking

"Also if anyone would like to warn me by direct message (not balance in public) what pubs have « relaxed » approach (no checks) and where there is a lot of social mixing I thank you in advance."

in another thread under the guise of protecting his girlfriend. There is a whiff of fish about it...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm just back from a holiday in Spain. I uploaded my DCC to the Spanish health site and got my QR for entry there which was simply scanned. On my return, it was immigration who examined the cert. I had it uploaded to my Ryanair app so the officer simply had a look at it - it wasn't scanned. So it could easily have been a faked copy.

It would not be difficult to edit a copy or image of an actual cert as only the QR holds the key to actually ensuring it is valid, so if they aren't scanning it's worthless. I don't know if the Spanish health site validates the actual cert or just accepts whatever is uploaded, it would be interesting to see.

In malaga at least the checks were done by 4 officers before immigration but as you say, I can't tell if they were checking the eu dcc also but I would assume they were... Whether that means they'd reject someone who was only vaccinated 1 day before is another story.

Id like to think immigration at Dublin airport did more than just eyeball the cert seeing as eu dcc has been in place so long. That being said,an eagle-eyed airline staff member familiar with the regulations can prevent you from boarding. Personally for the sake of a few euro (50 to 90 in most places) I wouldn't take the risk of being denied boarding,hotel quarantine and in the case of forged documentation a criminal conviction.

Is it not quarantine at home if you are Irish ?

God knows.it'd changed so much.

Currently,a EU DCC means you only need to complete a passenger location form and you do not have to quarantine from EU countries.

I returned from spain months ago when the "quarantine and get pcr after 5days and if neg, no more quarantine".. well i was negative but wasn't too strict about quarantine. I'd have lost my mind!

Excuse me (sincerely) but this does not sound possible. I am not fully agreeing with this (Irish) guy’s approach. If I am single and going to Ireland, yes I can take risks and consequences. But he has 7 or 8 people in group so he cannot take same risk. Am also seeing his point. He does not want to pay >1’000 Fr. + flight + etc. for children to see grandparents (maybe not seen in 2 years). So he and family have to inject drugs or go to quarantine hotel / prison ? He is Irish citizen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If he wants to endanger those said grandparents, he shouldn't be allowed within 500 km of them. He is entitled to be a selfish fcuk. He has that right. But he does not have the right to expect everyone else to risk their lives and the economy just so he can feel smug about himself.

Post edited by dotsman on

• Advertisement

Yes, this was happening a lot with the frontalières (French workers at border) here. Some of them come in and out from Switzerland once a week but some every morning or evening so paying for PCR was not practical. False PCR « certificate » was easily available in pdf format and controls were not strict at all on borders. A friend used one to return to Paris. This I was before Covid Certificat.

Sorry, maybe I didn’t make clear he is getting tested before coming, just not PCR - antigen. I would be surprise if his parents were not vaccinated (seeing thinking in Ireland) so it’s not problem.*

Maybe is different Irish term but not sure what you mean by he « feel smug ». Our friendly neighbour Macron (who has some influence on thinking here) wants to make life not possible to live in France if you are no vaccinated. Also in Irish / Anglo / international community here (almost) everyone is vaccinated and if not is like, are you QAnon ? Switzerland is only place you can have cool life without being vaccinated but is not « smug ». Look how difficult it is for me to have fun holiday in Ireland.

*I am reading that you can still transmit Covid even if vaccinated so maybe his parents will give to him. So maybe he gets to see parents but dies because not vaccinated so in your eyes « win-win » for you and him ?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

He needs a PCR, it's stated quite clearly antigen is not acceptable for travel to Ireland

Well Jean, it's been fun but all good things must come to an end.

I think you've asked and had answered your questions on both threads.

Why not head over to the cyclists forum and start a post on tax and insurance for cyclists?

Perhaps you are correct on consequences for him. Especially with getting on plane. But it is hypocrite to sign up to certificate which has as one of it’s principal purpose, as you say, « being vaccinated is not a requirement to travel to Ireland» but you must also pay 1000 Fr.

Personally I get feeling that people are annoyed at people coming to Ireland without vaccine. I am thinking I am probably only person on plane tested for Covid before travelling.

PCR cert and PLR checked (not scanned) at Boarding Gate in Geneva. Girl told me it is regular experience that they have to refuse entry to plane. Luckily heard some noise from other boarding gate (to Luton) before departure. Went to investigate and middle-age man and middle age woman (not together) refused onto flight. Not sure of detail but heard lady mention « QR code ». Man interrogated boarding gate lady but she responded like typical Swiss professional (answered all questions but told him nothing that would help or change his situation. Showed no emotion). Saw 2 of them walk in opposite direction with luggage to leave (never have seen this before). Why cannot people follow simple rules ?

Just passport check on arrival in Dublin (no PCR or PLR).

Return check of PCR test at Check In in Dublin. Check of passport only at GVA. GVA retains title (after COVID) of worst airport in First World. Very long queues like cows for douane contrôle. Only 3 or 4 gardes frontière to process. No one cares about you in Geneva Airport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement