Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

No prob. Not sure if it had been mentioned before in this thread but I'm only just after finding out how to do it. I had no idea what Categories was supposed to show either as it had always been blank for me (once that Categories error page was fixed). I'm going to go do the same procedure now to follow the other forums I used to have in a drop down list - this will actually help me a lot now I think as I wasn't bothered to try and find my forums before. 🙂

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Just posted on a forum. Posted up double.

So i picked one post to delete.

But both went down the cyber swanny..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

My followed forums were already there! Did the update work or did no one know how it worked????

@Boards.ie: Niamh @Boards.ie: Odhran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

I had to manually add mine as none of them copied over. Didn't matter much as most haven't had a post in 2 weeks anyway.

• Advertisement

I just realised the forums in the Categories page (with filter set to Following) are not listed alphabetically? Not a major thing but hopefully that can be fixed or a setting added to order it by forum name.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Something is going on behind the scenes!

Pressing the back button on my phone from the last post on a thread now brings you straight back to the previous page you were on. So mostly in my case straight back to the list of bookmarks.

Hurray!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Some images go through "insert media" thing, some (from the same source) - not.

And this button:

Does absolutely nothing, no matter how hard I hit it.

Newest Opera on Windows7 Ultimate 64bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

MArk All Read comment button - Same here, Firefox and Linux

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

I cant even get into the categories page all i get is this, tried both Firefox and Chrome

I was getting the same thing up until a few days ago I think - no idea what corrected it tbh so can't offer any suggestions I'm afraid. Think it was only happening on desktop (I'm using Chrome on Win 10), mobile was fine.

@joujoujou - Does absolutely nothing, no matter how hard I hit it.

'Mark As Read' is working for me using Chrome on Win 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

*In Boards HQ*

"I thought we had it with that last pull request..."

Someone asked for a positive. At least it is more difficult for the resident racists, misogynists and transphobes of the Current Affairs forum to spout their daily quotas of bile. So there is that upside. Every cloud and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I turned on notifications for posts in threads I post in - but like everyone else, I'm not into getting a notification for every post made!

I find myself not bothering to check every single thread I follow. In the past, I would pop into them all to clear the red number down to zero. Not anymore.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi guys,

Vanilla are aware of the new influx of notifications and will get back to us later today. For myself I am now getting notifications of new threads and posts in forums that I followed (not threads I followed) so that needs to be adjusted or we'll all be inundated. 

Re Online Buying & Auctions, I fixed that earlier this morning. If anyone spots any other forums that are not open but should be please PM me and I'll sort it out. Will be going down the forum list myself but if there is anything urgent let me know.

Follow forum on desktop should be ready soon, there is already a follow button on threads on mobile and using this should follow across to My Forums on desktop. 

Re- Advanced Reply, the comments box at the end should have everything you need in it. See this post for details on how to use the editor: https://boards.ie/discussion/2058199126/how-can-i-a-users-guide-to-the-new-site/p1?new=1

Double posting - for whatever reason when we post, it looks like we have posted twice @kadman but if you refresh the page only one reply appears.

@joujoujou not sure what is going on with the image there, it should embed unless there were some privacy settings on it on Imgur maybe. The Mark All As Read on the Notifications should get rid of the red number at the top but doesn't get rid of the list, just marks them all as read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've been flagged for abuse six times apparently. Thoughts and prayers to those who I have wronged.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,841 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You have to laugh how bad this site is operating

Mr Crispy last post is showing as 14:23

Where as in the actual thread it shows 3:23

WOW! this is really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

clicking on threads and going to the first post rather then the last is weird

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes, but that only happens the first time you access a thread right? every subsequent time you should be brought to the most recent post - at least that's how it's happening for me and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've flipped and flopped emotionally since the site came back. Absolute horror, then shock, anger, then a place of quasi acceptance - to now kinda finding it comical. It beggars belief really how this was all implemented and how it's playing out. The site has been gutted of functionality and ease of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

@Boards.ie: Niamh

On Desktop

This icon no longer appears for me (Firefox) It was there until last nights downtime.

And I've just noticed that if I move my mouse to the extreme left of screen I'm getting the hover hand symbol and a portion of the menu but not all of it, it's like it is still there but not displaying or usable. It doesn't matter what size I make the window, it's not displaying since last night.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You need more whitespace on the left - it's placed in a stupid position when most people do not have their browser maximised and the comment box is right at the far left of the screen hiding the icon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Follow forum on desktop should be ready soon, there is already a follow button on threads on mobile and using this should follow across to My Forums on desktop.

Excuse my ignorance, but where is My Forums on desktop? All I see is this:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

But even with the Browser window maximised it doesn't show, but you're right, there is less space to the left of comment box than was there yesterday & yes, it's in the worst place ever.

And there was me reading all those posts about too much white space 😄

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you click on BOARDS.IE, top left, you should see the old drop down menus with My Forums (not working yet), My Threads (works but doesn't show if there are any new posts), Trending (no idea if that's working properly or not, tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

@Boards.ie: Niamh The first and only post in the newly reopened Online Buying & Aucitons is a spammer trying to sell counterfeit money. I LOLed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks HH appreciate that. 🤙🙂 So what was a one click standalone and useful dropdown menu right there in front of you now requires two clicks to see, isn't nearly so obvious and currently shows individual posts rather than the much simpler and more elegant way of before? Looking at the mobile version which is apparently working(?) is just as confusing. Has me following stuff I never followed in forums I've rarely or never been in. SMH

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

So the new holy grail is to thanks whore and report or troll people you don't like, constantly. :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement