Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Man i miss the time beside the date on each post, Its just after 12 and the posts from yesterday are just in the 20th July and no time, I have no idea if people are commenting before or after the downtime.

This needs to be returned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What was the big update..it's still awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,263 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There is an hack if you're on desktop see my earlier posts about using an extension, is even a way to do it on mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The @usernamethingy is very temperamental. Sometimes when you click on the name you want a different name magically appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I'm actually really trying here but this is just a mess, how do you look up your old posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

In your Profile, there should be a Comments link at the bottom. Use it as a workaround until a direct link is implemented.

The above is on Mobile, may be slightly different on Desktop.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So I just had a random notification there telling me of a new thread in a random forum... Anyone else getting notifications they shouldn't be?

Loads of notification options in your Profile which you can customise. You are probably seeing the effect of one or more of the default options.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Sorry if I was dismissive of your condescending reply.

How exactly did you interpret my post as condescending? That looks like a problem at your end, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,263 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

@Boards.ie: Niamh

There is a weird click issue on the home page - if you click in the blank grey area in the screen shot it takes you to a blankish page i.e. the header and a few links, clicking back takes you to some random page

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't sleep (damn heat is messing up my sleep pattern something awful this week) so just having a look as I honestly forgot all about checking back last night when the downtime was extended - that's how I feel at this stage.

Still a mess with little to no improvement and another fix/activity list update that seems completely at odds with the feedback from users and these updates are just thrown in with no reference to any previous comments or engagement.

It's clear that little to no testing was done here before the site went live again. More than that, despite all the complaints from the staff about the customisation of the previous site and how hard it was to maintain, the effort now seems to be to try and turn what is apparently a lot more basic platform into something like it through.... extensive customisation!

I don't care anymore. I have barely posted in the last week outside of this thread and it feels like the more knowledgeable posters are the only ones listening and coming up with fixes for what people actually want - which shouldn't be necessary for what was supposed to be a massive improvement!

This will take months to get back to even where we were at this rate, and even then it'll still likely be a poorer experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭thesandeman

FOR FECKS SAKE can you please septate this thread. As a user of the mobile and/or Touch versions for many years I can give my opinions about what's happening on my side if I thought you and Niamh had any interest in people of my demographic.

I've come here every night since the upgrade and it's the same confusing rubbish being spouted, most of which I don't understand as it's related to computer users.

It's not that I wanted anything for free. I've given my suggestions over the years about how I and others could subscribe but that was ignored also.

Boards has helped me a lot over the years and I would like to think that I have returned the favour as much as I could to other members and to Boards itself by viewing your ads (except the Michael O'Leary ones) but what's happened this week is really making me hate the site.

Would it be possible at the very least to let us use the old Touch site without the 'upgrade' as you did with the app until you get things sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

These are exactly the features I am missing and exactly the way I used to navigate the site. I'll give it a few days but if my forums are not back on the mobile site, and drop down menus on desktop then that's it for me. I already feel there will be a large percentage of posters who won't be back

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The lack of the My Forums dropdown is a major problem and one that pretty much everyone has pointed to and should have been implemented from the very start and should be the single biggest priority now. Navigation is a pain on desktop, but doable. It shouldn't be painful. It shouldn't need more clicks and faffing around. But it is and it does. I'd browse and post on the site on mobile every so often, but since the change I've looked once or twice and moved on(mostly to edit my profile which I couldn't do on desktop). It's significantly less welcoming and more cluttered.

Those who need a dark mode should be very high on the list too. That's something that doesn't apply to me. Indeed I'm 100% the opposite. I can't view a site in dark mode for more than a few minutes before my eyes are bleeding. So I fully understand in a roundabout way why it's a requirement. If Boards' new interface had come back as default dark mode and I couldn't change it, I'd have not come back until I could.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

was the "my forums" thing not fixed?

I can't see them still

amateur jokeshop

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

@Mr Crispy Notification preferences are in the notification section, which you can't find if you go into your actual profile. Can't say this will help you though, as there's no option to disable notifications for forums you've never participated in.

• Advertisement

The thing that stops me using it is I had over 100 on the notification bell when I logged in, about 99 of them for this thread. I am NOT going to scroll through that, I just want to click a thread and end up at last comment I read and have one notification for the lot.

Too many notifications makes me feel over whelmed, it is untidy, I don't know what purpose it serves now that a 100 people will get a notification that isha has posted comment in Welcome to Boards thread. It just annoys me.

And the "draft saved" pop up popping up repeatedly over my text as I write will make me hurl my phone at the wall....

Stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Having to tap your profile icon to get to your bookmarks every time is a pain. Before you could click on the "my threads" tab, read a followed thread then go back and read the next one. Now when I've read one I have to click icon and bookmarks before the list comes up. At the very least pin the menu options that come up when you click your profile icon. On mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

One has to wonder what on earth must it have looked like before the single dev spent the extra weeks fixing things prior to cutover?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Is the functionality for showing categories when you hover your mouse over the "Topics" tab gone? That was the best way to navigate the site, otherwise its disastrously slow with many clicks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

(Touch site on mobile.....)

This seems to have been partly rectified.

Now if I'm in a thread, if I click the back button on my phone I'm brought to the top of a (different) thread page, instead of the last post - so at least the main banner with my avatar is there. Avoids all the scrolling up, which was a right pain. There is still an awful lot of clicking involved, though, to get back to the list of bookmarks.

And that "draft saved at....." pop-up that keeps popping up and covering what I'm typing is a complete pain ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It can be the same with formatting. I've given up using it most of the time because once you formatted some text I've had instances were I couldn't unformat it without deleting the whole post and starting again.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

When I posted my comment above, quoting my own post from yesterday, it posted on the page that the quoted post was in (page 42, but there are now 47 pages in the thread)

It only posted at the end of the whole thread, where it should be, when I went out and refreshed the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SevenAte9

With the greatest of respect - do you actually have a professional IT Project Manager running this migration who is dedicated to what is probably the biggest IT change implemented on the site since inception?

If you don't may I suggest that you get one involved as soon as possible.

If you do, then might I suggest that it's either too big for 1 PM or that person should consider their career options.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yep thats the same for me (presumably for everyone) - having to refresh the page to get your post to appear in it's correct position. Tbh I can easily live with that if we could get My Forums dropdown back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its worse than that. If the one reply you are really interested is 89th in the list (say its for a slower moving forum) you aren't going to see it in the dropdown and have very little chance of spotting its existence.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement