Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Any word on not being able to see the full list of thanks on a post? Just cuts the list off abruptly when it touches the top of the post. A long post will show more thanks as there's enough room, but if this post got 10 or so thanks, you'd not see much as it gets cut of.

A quick tweak of the CSS can surely fix that, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is the Gaming forum broken for anyone else? Not seeing any threads

https://www.boards.ie/categories/gaming-general

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

same for everyone. it was reported yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Earlier this week an update was promised by Niamh, any chance that happening? @Boards.ie: Niamh @Boards.ie: Odhran

(It was randomly in the" how.much has the site tanked" thread rather than here...

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Sorry about that, I've just fixed it. My mistake when I was updating some forum permissions yesterday 😮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 20 macshah

Till July 2021, I used to get a daily digest mail of all the updated in Bargain alert forum in one single mail. Since I was going out of the country, so I unsubscribed from that daily digest. Now I am unable to subscribe to the same format and it seems there's only option to receive email alert for each message posted in the forum. If it is no more possible to get the daily digest mail?? If this is not the case, can anyone guide me how to activate it again??

--mac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 45,896 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I call it as I see it. In our private forum I referred to the migration as "a monumental fcuk up" so I'm being consistent in public and private.

There's far too many "yes" people around who inwardly know the migration to vanilla is a mess but wont utter a word.

If it takes over 15 weeks (and counting) to fix problems then there was a very serious mistake made in choosing Vanilla in the first instance. Im not into the technical stuff but I have read that there were and still are alternatives and why those weren't utilized is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Pretty bad overall this new setup... Was trying to italicise a few lines in a post earlier, and all I was doing was just shifting text all over the shop 😊 I reckon that for folk who can draw a circle freehand, they would have no problems 'highlighting and dragging' across lines of text (unless there's an easier way of doing it!)

One good thing about the new layout (that I've noticed) , and plenty might disagree; is when you click on a forum, you no longer appear to be able to see who is "online" in that particular forum at the time,, Personally, I think that's about the one good thing I can say about the 'New Boards'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,962 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How does one find out who the moderators are for a topic? I've reported a post, and there's been no action on it - which is grand (sort of, understandable anyhow) if I can be confident that it's been seen and the moderators just disagree with my concern, but I have no way of knowing if the report has actually been seen by anyone.

I don't get where the criticism of Vanilla comes from - Vanilla do not develop fixes. Boards develop the fixes, Vanilla apply them. From the sounds of things, the "apply" part of the process could be a bit faster and cleaner - but that wouldn't resolve any of the major issues with the site. The real problem is with Boards' complete lack of resources. Vanilla can't apply fixes if Boards haven't submitted them. No matter what platform Boards moved to, there would always have to be a huge development effort to get it up to scratch

What should have happened: prior to the migration, while the old site was still running, the development team should have had an alpha site that was brought up close to the functionality levels of the old site. Then it should have been moved to a beta status where actual users (mods, admins, regular users) would have been invited to review, discover issues and provide feedback.

This should have been the process regardless of the new target platform. The choice of platform would likely have had a relatively low impact on the amount of work needed - maybe if they went with XenForo it would have been 5 months in development instead of 6, or if they went with phpBB it would be 7 months.

What actually happened: management pushed ahead with the migration as soon as the absolute bare minimum platform was available, taking the view that issues could be fixed piecemeal as they were discovered. This was an absolutely horrendous decision, completely ignoring the possibility of haemorrhaging users in the 6 months it would take to get the site up to scratch, and completely ignored that trying to develop for a site that's in active use is analogous to the difference between getting your car fixed in a garage, and trying to fix it while driving down the motorway.

None of this is intended to be a criticism of the Boards dev team, or front-line staff like Niamh. They are woefully under-resourced, and have been put in an impossible position. The blame for the migration lies squarely at the feet of Boards management who made the decision to proceed. Apportioning any of the blame to Vanilla is massively letting them off the hook

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

That information isn't available automatically anymore. On some forums, the mods have added that information to the charter, so have a look in that post. Failing that, you could post in the help-desk requesting a list of mods for a given forum, I believe Spear can see that.

And there's every chance they haven't seen it, the tools available to mods now are, by all accounts, fairly atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Inviere

Boards: Hi Vanilla, we're looking to move the backend of Ireland's largest discussion platform from vBulletin to an alternative. Have you got what we need?

Vanilla: Hi Boards, well we do handle such things. Be advised though, your site looks heavily customised, it mightn't be a smooth or easy fit going from one to another. Our base software doesn't support multi-quoting, bookmarks/my forums, modding tools, subforum structures as you know them, dark modes, reporting of posts, moderator features, and many many other features that your site replies heavily upon. Also keep in mind that we're in completely different time zones, and on the other side of the world, so combined with not working weekends, any fixes/pushes from the team of developers you're going to need won't go live potentially for days. If this is to your satisfaction, please send payment to vanilla@vanilla.com

Boards: Be grand, it sounds perfect for us, payment sent there. Thanks again.

^^^^

Quality! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I would be curious as to how much development was done on vanilla before the migration. Did they just go with standard vanilla with some minor branding changes? vanilla Vanilla if you will.

There's no way of knowing who the mods of any forum are. Its 14 weeks since we (mods) were told that this and many other issues would be sorted.

Re: Reported posts. On the old platform mods would have received an email notifying them of reported posts in their forums. But with the current excuse for a platform there is no email notification so mods would have to trawl through dozens, possibly hundreds, of reported posts and search for any that are relevant to them. Only the thread title appears in reported posts and not the associated forum so that makes life a lot more difficult for mods especially those modding the busier forums. So to answer your question HeideHeidi there is no way of knowing if the forum mods have seen the reported post or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I'm still trying to figure out who owns this place, as they are ultimately responsible.

They put him in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Do we really need to see the toilets man ad three times on every single page? It's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's better than seeing rodents on every page which is what I had yesterday. Presume it was some sort of extermination service but I needed to scroll past very fast every time so not sure.

This ad doesn't even say what it's for anywhere. I presume some kind of gym or possibly supplements or something, but to me not actually saying what you're advertising in your ad has major connotations of dodge. Plus it's just EVERYWHERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The ads are based on your search history, content of the thread etc with Google, nothing to do with Boards so...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I know you're correct but my ads are all helicopter gift vouchers and I'm trying to think what I've looked at for them to suggest that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

You werent searching for rides by any chance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭Tow

Adds are also feed for searches/views of people with the same IP address. So remember to look surprised if you get a voucher for Christmas.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I know that's the case with most online ads but pretty sure it's not the case here since the Vanilla migration, they were having major issues with clickbait crap appearing for everyone ("Michael O'Leary didn't realise his mic was still on!") that they were having to nuke on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why is it when you click on a thread it no longer brings you to the last read post but to some random point on the same page?

This was working and now its fucked, again! absolute shambles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Is there something to click to get to first page of a thread on mobile?

The three dots next to page numbers don't do anything when pressed, the double arrow only takes you back one page. Is editing the URL currently the only way?

Edit: and also, how do you delete pictures you've added to a post on mobile, trying to delete it in this post but not sure how.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement