Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like the New boards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

i fear change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Any one figured out how to see all your posts ? I am lost here on the PC but on the phone its unusable

Should have just left it offline really.

This is a terrible mess of a site at the moment.

Navigation is unusable basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭French Toast

Difficult to navigate on mobile, haven't seen it through a PC yet so maybe that's better.

Feel dissuaded from checking or posting on Boards tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think every forum that was "private" either hidden or approved posters only seems to be missing.

I'd love to say this is a new and improved boards!

However, rather than pass judgement I'll use it a few days before I make my mind up.

But 1st impressions are most certainly in the "steaming pile of dog turd" camp.

But hey, maybe I have an aversion to change? Rather than an appreciation of the obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its terrible! Its actually worse than previous boards, why even change it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A “my posts” or a “my comments” tab would be very handy right now for just getting back to where you last were in a thread. I really can’t get to grips with this. I’m hesitant to even try and send a PM because I don’t know can I trust what I’m at.

The site had its issues yes and I know it’s early days (hours) but I feel it has lost what it was that made it feel endearing and personal. I’m on quite a few social platforms so it’s not as if I don’t know that these things take getting used to but I’ve never seen anything as user unfriendly as this one. I can’t believe it went live like this.

And boo to losing all our hard earned thanks!

Not a fan at the moment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No. It's slow, difficult to navigate and functionality like ready access to lists of followed forums/threads seems to be missing, as well as simple things like a "follow" button/drop-down and marking stuff as read. There is no excuse for this kind of frustrating rubbish at a time when we have all the computing power one could imagine. Straighten it up!

All the 'Latest Posts' seem to be an hour old.

Tiresome boomer ‘calling it like I see it’ posts like this will be the death of this site way before any UI changes.

Snowflake!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Can't see myself spending as much time here TBH. Hard to say what exactly, but it is just not as good a user experience as the previous one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I like the chronological order. It's like... a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Feels like a downgrade for so many aspects of the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Its not just change. It is really badly designed. On both desktop and mobile there is just far too much empty white/grey space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Tork

It's a mess, especially on mobile. They've probably thrown the site up in its current, badly flawed condition because the alternative is to spend even more time offline.

The new control panel is crap too.. I think I have 10 points - whatever that means... No facility on there to close account from what I can see... I guess they want to leave that as awkward as possible for the nonce 😅 Too many unhappy campers 😛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Im sure that will be filled with head to toe adds in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Fully agree. I hate the sites where what you see at the top of the page are all the posts designed to harvest thanks and likes. For long running threads it is impossible to follow the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Do I like the new boards? No - It's utterly woeful - I'll come back in a month.

Hopefully, My post-count will be restored to just under 1000 and "My Forums" will be restored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Pretty it aint.... Surely this is just a stopgap?

But free it is, so it is what it is I guess. Have not tried on a mobile yet..

Something that was mentioned earlier...Personally I prefer when posts are chronological as opposed to the "reddit" style if seeing the more popular posts. For me I prefer seeing how a thread develops, but then again I don't really post in any of the super busy ones, so that probly makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was one of the first things I noticed.

Also, where is the drop down of my favourite forums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I can’t find My Threads.

If I do a search for my username, I don’t get a single hit.

Has my boards.ie history and database been lost in transition?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

I cannot figure out how to leave a comment without quoting another post and deleting.Also how do you start a new thread.The site is painfully slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Wheres the drop down menu of all the forums I follow?

No dark mode and cant see an option to increase the amount of posts per page.

Cant see an option to mark a forum read

I wouldn't mind the look if there was option to stretch it out

All in all its a complete mess at the moment imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Spacing is a bit better than it was this morning. Yay to be up and running but man is it messy! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to iron out.

¡ǝɯ ɹoɟ ǝuᴉɟ ƃuᴉʞɹoʍ sʇᴉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Careful there!

That's how you break the shiny new boards🤣

@retro:electro the profile/posts option is there.

But!

If you've posted on soccer or on other invite only sub-forums those posts aren't visible.

I'm very meh about it all tbh. Over the years I've been using boards the forums I use most were missed in this week of downtime.

But other options are available and tbh I'm already using those more and more. Boards was comfortable, convenient and thanks to user inertia...

Stable both in user base and UX. This new platform does have benefits. I think for a lot of OG and long term users that this might be the beginning of the end.

Boards will of course blame change aversion on the part of users who do start heading elsewhere, without acknowledgement of the fact that by heading elsewhere? Those users are embracing change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Where are my notifications of new responses to threads I follow??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

I can't edit my profile because my username is only 2 characters and it doesn't allow saving a username of less than 3 characters. I've had this username for 18 years and I'm not changing it now.

Why do I have to see every user that is logged in at the bottom of every page?

I've only been using it 5 minutes and already my eyes hurt.

There should be a "sort by" feature where you can choose between newest, most thanked etc.

For some topics, it makes the most sense to see posts chronologically. In others, it makes more sense to see the most thanked posts.

Such a feature is also beneficial to users dependent on how frequent they are on Boards. For example, if you only go on Boards e.g. once per week, you might want to see the posts in the Amazon bargain alerts thread sorted by the most liked over the past week so you can quickly find the top bargains. If you're instead on Boards a few times per day, you may instead want to see the posts in that same thread chronologically.

On the plus side it should completely deter any trolls because why would you even be arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

The mobile site is beyond awful, desktop site not far behind A week to work on it and its launched in this state of disrepair? Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Was this done to save money or what was the reason?

Honestly i can handle change for the better but this is just gruesome to look at and use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Hiding somewhere, I've no idea how to find it

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Its really really poor.

There is still a "Vanilla" logo in the header for me if you resize the browser

Can't see trending, followed or most thanked posts on mobile - only latest

Theres a "Best of" link that leads to nowhere

Threads are now discussions, followed is now Bookmarks, Thanks are gone but still have a column on the homepage desktop view for some reason

The "My Forums" view on desktop is ordered alphabetically instead of by post time.

Avatars are spilling over to the post and creating whitespace. There is whitespace everywhere

There is no "Go to first unread" button

Was this even tested before the migration? If so, how many users were involved in the test phase? Mental to think that there wasn't a user acceptance part of the test before going live,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it'll be fine when we're used to it. Not much different really.

Thanks for that, so "private" forums are now groups!

That solves that then, even if they are a shítshow 🤣

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Needs a lot of kinks to be ironed out. A lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Maybe it's a matter of getting used to it, but at the moment I'm stunned about how bad it is. The mobile site is a complete joke, desktop is okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Ah i don't mind it. I kinda enjoy the chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I went to follow this thread to reply later but I can't find the follow button :)

It's a no from me

Edit - it's the little bookmark button in the top right if anyone else is looking

A good addition would have been the ability to click on the quoted post and it brings you to it. Sometimes I see a quoted post and would like to be able to go back and thank it but can’t be arsed searching through for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its a worse experience for the end user.

Windows 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

It's kinda slow... but on the positive side, we can use our own avatars! :D

Advertisement