Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hbomax Caribbean and Latin America

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Changed from Hbomax to Max on phone and tablet without issue. Sony TV though was not so easy. Took an hour or more of messing about. The way I eventually logged in was using the middle option. "Use phone or tablet on the same WiFi".

All working fine now with Getflix. US version has a much larger library than Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ThePott

Working here on the Firestick and Nord VPN.

Have the US catalogue back after using Brazil and an APK version of the app since the relaunch in America.

Looking at my account & I see I am on the standard plan. Subscription ends early April. Premium 4k plan is looking like around €90 in Brazil. That's more than double what I paid last year but might still be worth it with the extra Discovery content

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Anyone having a problem with their sub, I've signed in to the new max app and it says renew sub. Looks like I dont have a sub anymore, it should be valid until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Try to log into the Max website under VPN of the country you signed up for. I was unable to login on a fire tv app before I logged in successfully on the Max website with my Brazil account it's like it did a changeover from HBO Max to Max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭baz9375

Given what’s happening with Netflix. I think it’s possible that MAX may target and shut down Latin American accounts that are constantly connected to US service (while paying a quarter of the price that US customers are paying).

I’m using Getflix which routes all to US MAX but think I’ll connect and stream from Costa Rica (on VPN) every so often just to show the service being used in its ’home Country’ as well as on US service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Max is working with my Argentinian account and I can switch to access the US library too (iPad and PC).

So I have a Brazil sub. I live in Slovakia where HBO max is available so I have been always watching without a vpn. After the switch over, I can't login to HBO max anymore and when I log into the Brazil Max it is telling me I need to renew my sub, which should be valid until July as I have the annual sub

Not going to spend much time trying to fix this as I rarely watch it anymore, was kinda interested to see what new content was on Max though

I might try to get a refund on Google pay though in fairness I'm not that bothered, saved enough over the years on it already

I'm guessing my sub was flagged as I was not using a vpn. It is not that expensive here so I might try it again when they switch to Max

The Max app won't work in HBOMAX territories. Max Brazil will no longer work on Hbomax app I think. I would think a vpn set to Brazil while using the max app will work for you

Yeah I login to Max Brazil both on the app and browser with vpn on though I dont have a subscription anymore, which shouldn't be the case

As my account is now switched to Max, and can't login locally to HBOmax anymore. so something must have happened during the switched over that canceled my subscription

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

HBO Max for Brazil is over. If you have successfully logged into your active Brazil sub on the Max website and changed over to Max then to you have to download the Max app if you're not watching via a browser the old HBO Max app won't work with your account. I took me a while yesterday to get the Max app downloaded onto my fire stick but once it was downloaded I was able to login no bother on the Max app and stream away.

I also have Getflix and used Max app without VPN without any issues to access the larger US content but with the Netflix Turkish saga going on I think I'm just going to use Brazil VPN to watch Max

https://www.hbomax.com/br/pt

I agree with the above comment. I will continue to use a VPN for some of my MAX (& Netflix) content. Just rely on getflix for the extra US content

I see problems ahead.

Max is cancelling all old hbomax accounts when you year is up. You are then asked to join MAX. Problem is that at the payment gateway they have a vpn detector. I don't think we will be able to sign up for max.

It might be worth taking a Romania Hbomax sub for 12 months for €40. This too will become MAX later this year but it will keep us going for another 12 months at a cheap price

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That's why I've gone with monthly payments for these type of things. Similar happened with Indian youtube for people, after a year you had to do a full repayment and VPN wouldn't work. Monthly payments just keep working away in the background (so far at least anyway).

This is different. Monthly or yearly makes no difference. In fact monthly will run foul within 4 weeks of MAX taking over. Most people paying yearly will be good for a few months.

Max is a different app & contract. You have to sign up to MAX on a new contract once your hbomax contract runs out

I'm not sure this is correct.

I'm on monthly payment option and my card details look to have been migrated to the MAX app already. When I log into the Max app its showing my card detail there that I had previously in the HBO app. The March payment is showing in payment history also.

On my bank statement last months payment was showing as HBOMAX and this month is showing as MAX.

I didn't have to re-enter card details or restart my account once the MAX app went live, Maybe I'll have to if/when they increase the price for the 4K plan?

They said existing contracts will change after 3 months. They are doing away with the legacy accounts. You will need to sign up to one of the 3 different options on new contract and enter payment details. They are picking up VPNs on the payment page even though the same vpn works perfectly to view max.

Max is coming to the rest of the world this year. I'm wondering if hbomax Romania will be gone by the time you can no longer subscribe to your current one in another 2 months or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

I am hoping my card details will still be valid and I will simple be able to select a new option.

Me too :-)

Wonder if we will get to keep the half price discount we had when taking out HBO initially?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Their email talking about the change specifically says that we get to keep it as long as we keep the contract. If they were to try and cancel the contract they'd be going against their own t&cs no?

Where is all this info coming from?

They promised to keep the 50% as long as you stay with hbomax / Max. They are keeping this promise. In a few months they will take away 4k and 4 screens & all legacy plans become standard / basic plans.

I got an email on the 24Jan and a section of it when translated from Argentinian read,

"You will keep your promotional discount of 50% applied to the monthly price valid for this moment, while you maintain your active subscription and complete the other conditions of this promotional offer."

I am guess " valid for this moment" is badly translated and refers to the current subscription. I am not too optimistic of retaining the 50% when the legacy one ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭savemejebus

You will keep your 50% promotional discount applied to the then-current monthly price for as long as you keep your subscription active and continue to comply with the other conditions of that promotional offer.

I think this is a good translation, i'm not too worried though i don't think i'd miss it too much.

I am still curious as to where all this info about their plans is coming from, reddit?

Does anyone have a source of south American Max gift cards? Specifically Argentina in my case.

I don't believe Hbomax or MAX have gift cards at all.

Hbomax is still only €39.99 for a year in Romania. It will become MAX in the next few months. You might have better chance adding a payment method there

Just had a monthly payment taken for my Costa Rican HBO max. Was €4.33 I think. Still working now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Anyone know when Romania is changing to MAX?

They said spring 2024. No date announced yet so I'm guessing it could be May or even June. If memory serves they announced the change date for Brazil around 6 weeks before actual change day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Advertisement