Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hbomax Caribbean and Latin America

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭samboy08

Can contact getflix support and request them to add it. They will most likely ask you what location and to share your login details so that they can circumvent the geoblock.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭baz9375

Content seems to vary depending on location of VPN selected. Here’s the Paramount+ tab for Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭baz9375

Just opened a ticket with them to see if they can look at adding support.

Its probably a tricky one for them with multiple different country versions of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

None of my VPNs seem to be fast enough to get it to stream properly. Hopefully Getflix will sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭newincity

I tried signing up on the web but it fails with

We cannot determine if you are in a location where SkyShowtime is offered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭a2deden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I'm on Brazil with payment setup on a Curve card which is linked to my Revolut card. All I remember it was a pain in the hole signing up to it in December 2021 it took a good few attempts I can't remember exact trickery or what VPN's/DNS used but Curve worked and Revolut didn't. It renewed anyway in December for BRL 239.90/EUR 44.65 for the year after first attempt rejected may have been because I didn't update my new Revolut card onto my Curve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Great posts here.Will have to consider setting up a service thru some country.I have Norton Anti Virus on my pc which seems to fix on Singapore for VPN when I'm out of Ireland/EU.How can I change my VPN,if necessary? Totally,inexperienced in this but looking at providers websites(with VPN)I suppose is a start

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I got Hbomax from Costa Rica at the start of this thread using a Revolut card. I have been trying to change card for a few days. I can ad the card to my account & it verifies it by taking & returning $1 but it won't take my monthly payment. Got onto live chat this morning & they insisted it was my bank that was the problem even though it was Wise, Revolut & N26 (3 different banks). They said leave it & let it try again. I said I was worried my account would be closed & I would lose my 50% discount. They said if it happens to get back to live chat. They asked me not to take out a sub with a different streaming service before talking to them first. They don't want to lose a customer so fingers crossed they can set up my card

• Advertisement

I managed to get a years Hbomax from Romania for €40.12 I was paying over €60 per year in Costa Rica. This was with a 50% discount.

I used seed for me VPN. It's free on phone or tablet for 7 days. Set vpn for Romania. I then set up a new Gmail account. Play Store believe it's a Romania account. I added Revolut card with my Irish address to Play store. I un-installed hbomax & reinstalled it. It asked me to create a hbomax account & then gave me the option to pay for month or year. Because it goes through the play store for payment & not Hbomax themselves, there was no block on Irish cards.

Hbomax for €3.51 per month! Happy Days 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

My Brazil sub payment declined last night on Revolut for no reason (poor connection it said?) so I've lost my 50% discount and account was cancelled, tried to re-sign up for a 12 month plan as it has 5 months free but getting errors on every card I try.

@Sleeper12 did you do this via phone or can it be done on a web browser on a PC? Planning to get on this as well. I have Nord so will try via them but otherwise I will give seed a go. Annoying to lose the existing account but I'll take anything going at this rate!

12 months Hbomax in Brazil is about €43. This is better value than Romania because Romania needs a VPN to view. For Brazil you can use Getflix (I believe). Getflix gets US Hbomax & that has the largest content.

If you set vpn to Brazil and open a new Gmail account then you can pay for 12 months Brazil Hbomax through Play store without any issues with your card.

When you're adding the card, do you keep the country as Brazil or Romania but put in Irish address for the rest? seem to be getting errors at the last hurdle!

I,m struggling to remember exactly. I definetly put in my Irish address for the card payment. Infact A local address for Brazil wasn't asked for at any time from HBO or Play Store. I'm sorry but I don't remember if I had VPN on or off for adding the card. You can add the card to Play Store before going through HBO. You will need VPN on when setting up HBO login details & I did have it on when I made the actual payment. I may or may not have had it on when adding the card. I added a Revolut card. Don't know if that makes any difference

Still getting nowhere unfortunately, any time I get to payment, it keeps defaulting to my Irish gmail account with payment not available messages. Oddly, it also shows HBO Max not available in my region when I'm on play store with Brazil VPN and Brazilian gmail account. I'll keep at it and hopefully manage to get it sorted

Some VPNs say they are routing to a country but are actually going to a different country. I remember Express VPN would say Turkey but it was actually a different country like Cyprus. I'd imagine that is what is happening to you. You haven't set up a Brazil play store account if you don't have the option to download Hbomax.

Started a new one that was definitely Brazil, could download HBO no problem this time but still hitting a wall with payment, I'm unable to add my card using Brazil as country, can add it using Ireland (with Brazilian google account while on Brazil VPN), but getting "item not available in this country" at payment stage unfortunately :(

I used my real Irish address for my card . At no stage did Play Store look for a Brazilian address. I kept VPN on to launch the HBO app & to create a HBO account. I can not remember if I had VPN on or off when I hit the final payment button.

I know how frustrating this messing around is but you are almost there now & once you have Brazil play store account you will never have trouble again with payment. I have my fingers crossed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭ThePott

Lots of big changes for 'HBO Max' announced. From May 23rd, it will be renamed 'Max' as it integrates in Discovery+ as well. Price point is staying the same in America. Elsewhere in the world; "LATAM in fall 2023, followed by Europe in early 2024 and APAC in mid 2024, with “new markets” to be tapped come fall 2024". There will also be a an ad-supported tier and a tier above the current price for 4k, more concurrent streams and offline downloads.

What that means for us signed up through Latin America who knows. I know they've said for most it will be just clicking into the app and it will transition automatically, while some will need to do a two-part sign in.

Press event recap including announcements of new shows and other details -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 3Win

Does anyone subscribe recently using revolut payment? I have tried every country and both curve and revolut but unable to make a payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭newincity

Do we need vpn to watch or just sign-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Needs VPN for both. Ive been able to use my Costa Rica account on actual and VPN US connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Same. Also works with smart dns.

Although with hbo max becoming max shortly, whether that will cause issues isn't clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Just for an FYI for those that fail at payment stage.

I found that because your Revolut card is geo tagged to Ireland and you try using it with a VPN connected, it may fail. Try turn off the VPN when it comes to the payment part. This worked for me signing up to the Disney + Turkey method.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

Can someone please send me a working APK? I had to factory reset my Chromecast. So I got logged out of my account and now I can't seem to log back in with whichever apk I downloaded

Thanks. What country did you use to log in on?

If I try to log in via USA I get an error with the password and/ email even though they are definitely right.

If I try to log in via Costa Rica or Argentina then the app just sticks at a loading screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I'm using the US version with a smartDNS, did you try a few different US servers in case some of the popular ones are blocked?

If that doesn't work you could try a trial of one of the DNS services (I know SmartDNSProxy and Getflix both work) to log you in and then see does it play with your VPN.

• Advertisement

I eventually got in through Columbia!

And getflix us is working for viewing.

Advertisement