Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Cosby released - conviction overturned

Options

Comments

Well, people’s opinion of him has changed irrevocably and at his age, he’s unlikely to offend again. I’d say that even though it would be better if he had remained locked up, the victims still got a result. How many people will think this overturning is because he is innocent?

Do you think that it is not likely that some people who have similar inner thoughts to Cosby will see how little punishment he got for all of his supposed actions and may now consider taking that risk of turning those thoughts into reality based on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This is a very surprising turn for this, what the hell is going on ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

He doesn't have victims.

His conviction's been quashed .

Keep up.

Drugging women and raping them ??? doesn;t have victims ... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Who did?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The correct term is “alleged victims”, absent a valid conviction.
    That said, given that the problem here isn’t that the trial came to a wrong conclusion but instead that it should never have been charged in the first place, it remains that a jury did convict. As a result, I’m not sure quite what the practical terminology should be.
    This is a very surprising turn for this, what the hell is going on ???

The US legal system is very big on the fine details. If there is a T not crossed or an i not dotted and the process not bulletproof, convictions will not be permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

So tell me, If I accidentially bumped into him on the street he could sue me if I called him an abuser?

Do you think that it is not likely that some people who have similar inner thoughts to Cosby will see how little punishment he got for all of his supposed actions and may now consider taking that risk of turning those thoughts into reality based on this?

I think that would be EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely, bordering on completely unlikely.

He doesn't have victims.

His conviction's been quashed .

Keep up.
    Who did?

If you're trying to suggest that he is innocent in a smartarse way, then no.

A district attorney promised Cosby that he would not be prosecuted for raping Andrea Costand if he did not plead the 5th as not pleading the 5th made it more likely that Costand would win her lawsuit.

While unable to plead the 5th, he admitted to drugging Costand before raping her.

Some years later, a district attorney believed they found a way of still prosecuting him for the assault of Andrea Costand and proceeded with it.

Today, the Supreme Court said otherwise.

So, he is not innocent, and he does have victims, but he cannot be prosecuted for raping Costand.

I think that would be EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely, bordering on completely unlikely.

Oh yes? How do you know that? Do you have such inner thoughts? Or know people with such inner thoughts?

Oh yes? How do you know that? Do you have such inner thoughts? Or know people with such inner thoughts?

Is this another one of your "hilarious" jokes or are you accusing me of having sexually predatory inclinations?

You asked a question, I gave my answer. I do not think that today's events will encourage people to risk drug and rape women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mickey Joe Harte was a pedo? :eek:

What, the Your A Star Eurovision fella, we got the world tonight?

There was loads of women against Cosby, testimony etc., I'm confused :confused:

Is this another one of your "hilarious" jokes or are you accusing me of having sexually predatory inclinations?

You asked a question, I gave my answer. I do not think that today's events will encourage people to risk drug and rape women.

No, I asked you for what your basis is of that conclusion. What is the basis for that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Don't act on those thoughts. It won't end well for anyone. Call the number below. Tell them what's going through your mind and they will help you.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Goes to show what you can get out of when you have the money for top lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Overheal wrote: »
    So the old prosecutor, Bruce Castor, thought he could get justice out of Bill Cosby more expediently by declining to press criminal indictment against Bill Cosby, and instead they furthered a civil lawsuit against Cosby, because you can be forced to testify/give disposition in a civil lawsuit...

I remember his bumbling attempt at a defense of Trump. Seems like everything that guy touches turns to sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

So the fact that he admitted to the crime is in a roundabout way part of the reason he is walking free. These BS technicalities are a joke, especially when the person is clearly guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭political analyst

As it says in this article from 2015, a key question remains unanswered.

https://www.vulture.com/2015/07/bill-cosby-documents-lawsuit-quaaludes-payoffs.html
    Cosby and his lawyer had tried to block the release of the records by claiming the comedian was not a public figure; judge Eduardo C. Robreno disagreed, ruling that Cosby had “donned the mantle of public moralist” and thus “voluntarily narrowed the zone of privacy that he is entitled to claim.”

Before the official release, the AP reported that Cosby had admitted to obtaining quaaludes to give to women he intended to have sex with. The full records reveal that Cosby had seven prescriptions for quaaludes, which he used for this purpose. In his testimony, the comedian said he did give the drugs to other people, and confirmed a Jane Doe witness’s account that they had sex after he gave her the pills: “She meets me back stage. I give her Quaaludes. We then have sex.” Cosby did not answer the question of whether he gave women drugs without their consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hopefully this is the start of the MeToo movement falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Hopefully this is the start of the MeToo movement falling apart.

I don't think the Cosby case is a good example to go by. He is obviously a real creep and technicalities aside, should be locked up. There are genuinely innocent people in prison, or tainted by false allegations and Bill Cosbies case is not an example I would use against metoo

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

A terrible day for justice (Cosby out), but arguably a good day for the justice system.

A deal was made with a prosecutor that was rescinded (hence the appeal succeeded) which was a bad precedent in any jurisdiction.

• Advertisement

No, I asked you for what your basis is of that conclusion. What is the basis for that conclusion?

Any person seeing a former beloved star, getting caught, get his reputation irreversibly tarnished, doing jail time and who wouldn't have been released but for a bizarre technicality which is unlikely to be repeated, would not see that as a "well i may as well run the risk. Sure, didn't Cosby get away with it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Rather messed up. We all know what he did.
    Let's be honest tho, he's 83 so he likely would have died in prison. Now he gets to sip on vino and watch the sunset.

Any person seeing a former beloved star, getting caught, get his reputation irreversibly tarnished, doing jail time and who wouldn't have been released but for a bizarre technicality which is unlikely to be repeated, would not see that as a "well i may as well run the risk. Sure, didn't Cosby get away with it?"

Are you implying that all people with such inner thoughts can think logically like that?

Are you implying that all people with such inner thoughts can think logically like that?

Aristotle, drop it please.

It's common sense to not be worried of a spate of copycat incidents following the release of Bill Cosby.

If you think otherwise, continue the conversation with someone who thinks like you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

The suggestion that people will see this as a green light to drug and sexually assault women is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

It's a sad day when someone who commits such heinous crimes gets away on technicalities even after being found guilty.

To think they didn't even challenge the fact he was guilty.

He should have ended his life in jail.

Aristotle, drop it please.

It's common sense to not be worried of a spate of copycat incidents following the release of Bill Cosby.

If you think otherwise, continue the conversation with someone who thinks like you do.

I asked you a yes or no question. Why have you deflected?

I asked you a yes or no question. Why have you deflected?

Because it's a ridiculous question and I have no interest in furthering the discussion with you.

So far on this thread alone you have "joking" accused someone of taking matters into their own hands regarding bill cosbys death and then laughably (ironically as it's more comedic than your "joke"), suggested that bill Cosby getting his verdict overturned on a technicality as a very real reason why people may be encouraged to go out and rape.

It's bizarre, absurd and illogical to continue pandering to your bizarre line of questioning.

I'll leave it at that.

Because it's a ridiculous question and I have no interest in furthering the discussion with you.

So far on this thread alone you have "joking" accused someone of taking matters into their own hands regarding bill cosbys death and then laughably (ironically as it's more comedic than your "joke"), suggested that bill Cosby getting his verdict overturned on a technicality as a very real reason why people may be encouraged to go out and rape.

It's bizarre, absurd and illogical to continue pandering to your bizarre line of questioning.

I'll leave it at that.

I actually only told one joke. And it was a very obvious joke to make as the question was nonsensical.

And I am asking you a serious question. And you are fully aware that it is a good question by the fact that you refuse to answer it.

But you may continue to be disingenuous by deflecting from answering each time, its up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Just so as we're clear, America is a horrible fascist racist country which oppresses black people using the legal system to subject them to all kinds of iniquities, except Bill Cosby, OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson, who are somehow exempt.

Advertisement