Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Bill Cosby released - conviction overturned

«1345

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 21,665 ✭✭✭✭ Kermit.de.frog


    Cymro wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/billy-cosby-conviction-quashed-released-5482018-Jun2021/

    Didn't see that coming!

    Apparently overturned not because the evidence changed, but because the court found that the prosecutor was obliged to hold to an agreement Cosby made with his predecessor.

    Meh, I think given his age it's inconsequential really.


  • Registered Users Posts: 65,250 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal


    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bill-cosby-be-released-after-sexual-assault-conviction-overturned-pennsylvania-n1272748

    So the old prosecutor, Bruce Castor, thought he could get justice out of Bill Cosby more expediently by declining to press criminal indictment against Bill Cosby, and instead they furthered a civil lawsuit against Cosby, because you can be forced to testify/give disposition in a civil lawsuit.

    "Unable to invoke any right not to testify in the civil proceedings, Cosby relied upon the district attorney’s declination and proceeded to provide four sworn depositions. During those depositions, Cosby made several incriminating statements," the opinion reads. "D.A. Castor’s successors did not feel bound by his decision, and decided to prosecute Cosby notwithstanding that prior undertaking. The fruits of Cosby’s reliance upon D.A. Castor’s decision — Cosby’s sworn inculpatory testimony — were then used by D.A. Castor’s successors against Cosby at Cosby’s criminal trial."

    The court reasoned that the depositions would have never taken place if the prosecutors office hadn't already decided positively to not criminally charge Cosby, and therefore the prosecutors office using that elicited information to bring forth charges at a later date anyway violated his 5th amendment rights.

    This ruling does not exclude the possibility of federal charges sticking to Cosby but I have no idea where Cosby sits in the federal criminal circuit.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭ Aristotle


    Meh, I think given his age it's inconsequential really.

    Do you think his victims feel that way?


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,665 ✭✭✭✭ Kermit.de.frog


    Aristotle wrote: »
    Do you think his victims feel that way?

    Obviously not but this won't be pursued because he won't be alive much longer anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭ Aristotle


    Obviously not but this won't be pursued because he won't be alive much longer anyway.

    He won't be? Are you planning on taking the law into your own hands?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭ Gatling


    Imagine he took a civil case against the DA and won a hefty payout being anything is possible in the US


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,665 ✭✭✭✭ Kermit.de.frog


    Aristotle wrote: »
    He won't be? Are you planning on taking the law into your own hands?

    He's 83.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭ Aristotle


    He's 83.

    Your point being? He had a 3-10 year sentence, and he could have quite easily lived until the end of that sentence. So what is the significance of bringing up his age?


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Aristotle wrote: »
    He won't be? Are you planning on taking the law into your own hands?

    What sort of a thing is that to ask when it’s plain to see that’s not what was meant. Are you just looking for a reaction?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭ Aristotle


    What sort of a thing is that to ask when it’s plain to see that’s not what was meant. Are you just looking for a reaction?

    Did you think that I thought Kermit.de.frog was planning on killing Bill Cosby?

    While that would make for a great movie, no. Just no.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,250 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal


    He's 83.

    That's not why it's not being pursued. He cannot be charged for the same crimes again under Double Jeopardy. The State really ****ed this up. The court system doesn't have a clause mooting criminal justice if the defendant is past a certain age, or of a certain infirmity. Just go look at the Robert Durst trial.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Aristotle wrote: »
    Did you think that I thought Kermit.de.frog was planning on killing Bill Cosby?

    While that would make for a great movie, no. Just no.

    Then why get all over excited and ask such a silly question when it was plainly obvious what they meant?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭ Aristotle


    Then why get all over excited and ask such a silly question when it was plainly obvious what they meant?

    Don't worry I got you.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Aristotle wrote: »
    Don't worry I got you.

    I can see from your posts before and after that one that you got all over excited and are backtracking now. Carry on.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,922 ✭✭✭✭ Buttonftw


    Everyone involved still gets paid though right?


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭ suicide_circus


    I'd say the Cosby Show replay royalty cheques have dried on him


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Aristotle wrote: »

    If you'd like to contribute something relevant to the thread, knock yourself out.

    It would be a first for us both.


    Anyway, lots of people get off lots of things on technical stuff, he’s near dead, grand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭ Aristotle


    It would be a first for us both.

    Literally my first post questioned why a poster thinks Cosby's age is inconsequential.

    Are you ok?


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Aristotle wrote: »
    Literally my first post questioned why a poster thinks Cosby's age is inconsequential.

    Are you ok?

    I’m all good thanks, though you’re going heavy on the boards by numbers stuff this evening and should probably take a little break before you go for the trip. Go out and get some sun, Bill won’t get you there.

    “Are you ok?” :D classic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ Insidious


    If the conviction has been overturned.. is he still guilty or now assumed innocent? Genuinely curious....


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭ Aristotle


    I’m all good thanks, though you’re going heavy on the boards by numbers stuff this evening and should probably take a little break before you go for the trip. Go out and get some sun, Bill won’t get you there.

    “Are you ok?” :D classic.

    Why on Earth are you even in this thread?

    I made a relevant comment, then a joke, and then another relevant comment. You then attacked me because you didn't get a joke and have done nothing but attack me in this thread.

    I'm actually outside at the moment, but perhaps you should take your own advice and get some sunshine, or at least get a better hobby than looking through people's post history.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Crazy. Prosecution must have Fu*ked up royally


  • Registered Users Posts: 65,250 ✭✭✭✭ Overheal


    Insidious wrote: »
    If the conviction has been overturned.. is he still guilty or now assumed innocent? Genuinely curious....

    "Cosby’s convictions and judgment of sentence are vacated, and he is discharged." - State Supreme Court

    As far as the criminal justice system is concerned he's a free man. He has not been convicted of a crime, effectively. Regarding public opinion though, it doesn't change the facts ultimately found in the case, but jurisprudence disallows them to do anything further with the information. He's not 'not guilty' either, though. They've thrown out the guilty conviction and the sentencing judgement is all. So, he remained in the eyes of the law presumed innocent despite what the public has learned about his behavior, which save for prosecutorial misconduct, should have rightly landed him in prison.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ Potential-Monke


    Sounds like someone was fiddling the system...


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭ pjohnson


    Aristotle wrote: »
    Did you think that I thought Kermit.de.frog was planning on killing Bill Cosby?

    While that would make for a great movie, no. Just no.

    I'd watch it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭ Loueze


    Meh, I think given his age it's inconsequential really.

    It wouldn't be inconsequential to his victims.


  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ Tilden Katz


    Aristotle wrote: »
    Do you think his victims feel that way?

    Well, people’s opinion of him has changed irrevocably and at his age, he’s unlikely to offend again. I’d say that even though it would be better if he had remained locked up, the victims still got a result. How many people will think this overturning is because he is innocent?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ Potential-Monke


    How many people will think this overturning is because he is innocent?

    Judging by the way people are these days, a sizeable portion. Shur people still think Mickey J wasn't a pedo....


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭ facehugger99


    Aristotle wrote: »
    Do you think his victims feel that way?

    He doesn't have victims.

    His conviction's been quashed .

    Keep up.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭ Mister Vain


    Judging by the way people are these days, a sizeable portion. Shur people still think Mickey J wasn't a pedo....
    Mickey Joe Harte was a pedo? :eek:


Advertisement