Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm bi and I dont support the LGBTQ movement because I dont like the Q word

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It was done with such finesse. Bravo to you. What a warm, welcoming individual you have been to so kindly correct a simple misunderstanding of a word heard by a straight male in recent times who didn't gender/gay/pride check it thoroughly before using it. I had incorrectly believed there was a sexuality element attached to the word due to a personal observation seeing the word being used in public.

As I said already, the first line of your response was plenty, but you went on a bit of a flexathon and then declared that you didn't care what a "straight man thinks". You seem to have expanded on that to declare you don't care what straight people think. So, is it just straight peoples thoughts you take issue with, or does it extend to people of faith, or who lean right in politics? Do you regularly dismiss people because of their sexual orientation, or is it just in this thread?

Mate.

You came in here and went on a great big How dare they say I am cis...yada yada yada - and it turned out you didn't even know what the word means. Didn't even bother to find out.
    Just had a go.

And why should I be welcoming to someone who thinks they have the right to comment on how I identify?
    Nope. I don't care what you think.
    If your ego has an issue with that - that's your issue not mine.

As for you being straight - how on Earth did I know that?
    Of yes - you told us.
    Came into the LGBT forum telling us all how you are straight and then lecturing us on how we should identify on the grounds of what you, personally, like and dislike.

Again. No. Not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

OP I can respect that you don't feel comfortable using the word queer but I'm confused as you keep saying they are using it to describe you. Like its a direct personal reference to you. Maybe you can expand on that and explain clearer exactly what the offence is.

Do you mean when say an organisation releases a press release and uses the LGBTQ+? I could understand if they were using queer on its own someone taking offence but when its part of the entire group why do you think the Q is directed at you? I understand its a slur to you but do you not look to the B and see that as you? What if you and I were attending an event that was being covered by LGBTQ+ I don't use bisexual, it doesn't represent me, I am queer and thats the word I want used so why do you get to decided that Q is removed and replaced with + ? I would be offended to have it replaced as I would feel I was being removed and unwelcome

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Mate.

You came in here and went on a great big How dare they say I am cis...yada yada yada - and it turned out you didn't even know what the word means. Didn't even bother to find out.
    Just had a go.

And why should I be welcoming to someone who thinks they have the right to comment on how I identify?

Of yes - you told us.
    Came into the LGBT forum telling us all how you are straight and then lecturing us on how we should identify on the grounds of what you, personally, like and dislike.

So respect only goes one way?

If you told me you didn't like being called Queer, but I insisted on calling you that anyway, would you not describe that as being deliberately disrespectful?

I'm straight and I don't like the 'cis' term, either.

So respect only goes one way?

If you told me you didn't like being called Queer, but I insisted on calling you that anyway, would you not describe that as being deliberately disrespectful?

I'm straight and I don't like the 'cis' term, either.

Why should I respect your opinion about how I identify?
    Do I go around telling you how, imo, you should identify?

And straight people have been calling me Queer for over 40 years.

And yes, I am.
    That is exactly what I am. And proud of it.

I have been called a hell of a lot more by bigoted straight people - haters gonna hate.

And the current respect shown to LGBTQ+ was fought for and hard won - when did straight people have to fight for respect?

And go into the thread in CA [*edit to add - the thread in this forum has a few LGBT 'gone too far' b.s. posts too] about the laws in Hungary and you will see how much of a veneer that 'respect' often is as people seek to justify homophobic laws.

It's not my fault if you are hurt that your opinion as a straight person (which again - you felt the need to tell us you are) telling Queer people all about the words we use to describe ourselves isn't respected. Neither am I going to take any responsibility for your hurt feelings.

Bottom line - your don't get to decide how I, or any other Queer, defines ourselves. We do not need or require your input. And while no-one is stopping you having any opinion - or expressing that opinion. None of us have to respect that opinion.

Why should I respect your opinion about how I identify?
    Do I go around telling you how, imo, you should identify?

And straight people have been calling me Queer for over 40 years.

And yes, I am.
    That is exactly what I am. And proud of it.

I have been called a hell of a lot more by bigoted straight people - haters gonna hate.

And the current respect shown to LGBTQ+ was fought for and hard won - when did straight people have to fight for respect?

And go into the thread in CA about the laws in Hungary and you will see how much of a veneer that 'respect' often is as people seek to justify homophobic laws.

It's not my fault if you are hurt that your opinion as a straight person (which again - you felt the need to tell us you are) telling Queer people all about the words we use to describe ourselves isn't respected. Neither am I going to take any responsibility for your hurt feelings.

Bottom line - your don't get to decide how I, or any other Queer, defines ourselves. We do not need or require your input. And while no-one is stopping you having any opinion - or expressing that opinion. None of us have to respect that opinion.

whatabout whatabout whatabout...

I'll try again:

• Advertisement

whatabout whatabout whatabout...

I'll try again:

That bit in bold - is that your version of showing an LGBTQ+ person respect in the LGBT Forum?

And you have missed my point that I have been called Queer and worse as a slur, and I have taken that term as my own. As have hundreds of thousands of others going back decades.

I AM Queer. Calling me it - regardless of how it is meant - is simply stating something I have never denied.
    I will not let the haters define me. I define me.

What is disrespectful is a person with no skin the the game, who will never be subjected to slurs based on their sexuality, a member of the always respected majority, believing they have the right to question me, and others who identify as Queer, and call into question our right to use the terms we wish to use.

It is, quite literally, imo none of your business as it does not affect you in any way, shape, or form.

Again, avoiding the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Mate.

Just had a go.

Of yes - you told us.

I'm not the only one who has mistaken "cis" to be associated with sexuality. Anyone i've discussed these terms with before has thought the same. First I heard of the term was probably 3 years ago when an impolite gay/queer man referred to me as a "cis male" and in the context of the conversation, it certainly seemed that my sexual orientation was was being commented on. But if that's the tall horse you want to keep talking from, that's fine.

I'm also not the only one who has stated their sexual orientation on here. In fairness, you went into more detail about yours than anyone else, so what are you balling about? For someone 40 odd years of Queer behind you, you're going on a bit juvenile and you're carrying a chip on one shoulder and an ego on the other. Must be some burden with all that skin in the game.

You may have proudly claimed "Queer", but the OP has a problem with the label and that's understandable. You can identify as an Elephant for all I care. My point was that I at least in some way understood why the OP had an issue with the Queer labelling and I think it was important to set out why.

Your commentary in the last paragraph of your first response came across as nothing less than dismissive, with a bit of bigot in there too. I haven't oppressed you for 40 years, so perhaps leave your hate somewhere else.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

OP, genuinely don't want to sound too flippant by this but honestly why do you care what Stonewall call your relationship? They're a charity in the UK, they are not the definitive rulebook on life.

If I was asked before reading this thread what to describe your relationship, I'd have just said it's a bi man in a straight relationship. What term do you call it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭VENEATS

ztoical wrote: »
    OP I can respect that you don't feel comfortable using the word queer but I'm confused as you keep saying they are using it to describe you. Like its a direct personal reference to you. Maybe you can expand on that and explain clearer exactly what the offence is.

Do you mean when say an organisation releases a press release and uses the LGBTQ+? I could understand if they were using queer on its own someone taking offence but when its part of the entire group why do you think the Q is directed at you? I understand its a slur to you but do you not look to the B and see that as you? What if you and I were attending an event that was being covered by LGBTQ+ I don't use bisexual, it doesn't represent me, I am queer and thats the word I want used so why do you get to decided that Q is removed and replaced with + ? I would be offended to have it replaced as I would feel I was being removed and unwelcome

I went to pride with my wife, two years ago (never again). Pride is usually great and friendly. I go to pride to celebrate past fighters, mostly. And as we spoke to randons at pride the amount of times I got called both the q word and our relationship being Q. At one of these I said, I'm not Queer and basically said what I've said here. What I got was an intense . And I dont blame them. When RTE (etc) calls bi people Queer and let people call bi relationships queer they are giving licence to that.

I think the Q word is a slur, you dont have to. But I do think the word should only be used in instances where someone like yourself, explicitly, asks to be called that. I think publications should never use the Q word to describe anyone in the LGBTI+ who isnt Q.

The people, I've no issue with. I dont believe people like yourself should be committed from LGBTI+. There is an obvious link between LGBT people and Q people so it makes sense.

• Advertisement

VENEATS wrote: »
    I went to pride with my wife, two years ago (never again). Pride is usually great and friendly. I go to pride to celebrate past fighters, mostly. And as we spoke to randons at pride the amount of times I got called both the q word and our relationship being Q. At one of these I said, I'm not Queer and basically said what I've said here. What I got was an intense . And I dont blame them. When RTE (etc) calls bi people Queer and let people call bi relationships queer they are giving licence to that.

I'm sorry that happened to you. If someone makes it clear they aren't comfortable with any language being used people need to respect that. There are unfortunately always A*holes who misgender people, bring up dead names or use words they know will get a rise out of people nearly always just for their own amusement or to mask their own issues. Its not representative, at least in my experience, of the vast majority of the community.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

KKV and Ghost, there is no need for accusations being directed at other posters, let's keep posts civil and on topic please

I'm sorry that happened to you. If someone makes it clear they aren't comfortable with any language being used people need to respect that. There are unfortunately always A*holes who misgender people, bring up dead names or use words they know will get a rise out of people nearly always just for their own amusement or to mask their own issues. Its not representative, at least in my experience, of the vast majority of the community.

But rte (and I'm just using them as an example) and Stonewall etc. wouldnt dare misgender or dead name intentionally. If they did, I think that behaviour would be more common.

I thank every respondent. I hope, I wasnt too much of an a-hole and glad to see the thread was mostly respectful.

I wont be responding anymore. I think I got what I wanted out of it.

And even though I take issue with certain things, I dont dislike the people who define themselves as Queer. Coming out and telling the world who you are is a great thing (hard, but worthwhile).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was listening to an interview for pride month with some UK activist the other day and she constantly refereed to the gay demographic as 'queer people'. If she want's to identity as queer herself that's fine (as in I've better things to do that get my knickers in a twist about something like that) but she was using it to refer to the whole of the gay demographic. Morto.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I was listening to an interview for pride month with some UK activist the other day and she constantly refereed to the gay demographic as 'queer people'. If she want's to identity as queer herself that's fine (as in I've better things to do that get my knickers in a twist about something like that) but she was using it to refer to the whole of the gay demographic. Morto.

Activists have used it since the 80s in the US as a direct reaction to the AIDS crisis, it was used as a way of offending the Reagan version of america that was so against them. While many groups like Act Up used Aids as much as possible to bring it to the forefront off shot groups from them like Queer Nation purposely opted to use Queer over Gay as they wanted to offend straight people, they wanted to throw their slurs back at them. It was the same approach used by African Americans with groups like NWA - what is the N meant to stand for. It's a term called “derogatory from the outside, not from within,” to take something used to attack you and turn it around and use it as a weapon.

The result of this of course is that words then change, get brought into the mainstream and you get tv shows targeted at straight audiences called 'Queer eye for the straight guy' You have a whole generation now of young people coming up who don't have the slur association, for a lot of them maybe the first time they saw a gay person on tv was a show like Queer eye or Queer as folk and as such they only have positive associations and many youth groups like I mentioned much earlier in the thread will use queer as its felt to be more inclusive then gay.

No one should ever be directly refereed to by words they don't feel comfortable and if you ask someone to stop they should respect that for individuals but as a general use word within the community it would be difficult to remove.

Advertisement