Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

Looking like Clara and Dicksboro/O'Loughlins to be the top 2 in Section A of the senior league. The latter should be a competitive match as the losers could draw the short straw of meeting the Shamrocks in the first round of the Championship. Heard O'Loughlins were disappointing against Mullinavat, supporters a bit pessimistic about this year. Clara could be the surprise team this year

On the other side, James Stephens and Bennettsbridge may top the league but will Stephens be a bit light when it comes to October hurling? The Bridge will have to shore up their defence after leaking 9 goals in 2 matches

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sportsmaddad

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Nedflanders02

No change to the senior and U-20 management teams. Niall Bergin to take over as minor manager, back room to be announced later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Mick Dempsey has also been announced as basically a director of hurling and will lead a root and branch review and look to improve the underage set up in the county also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Wasn't Bergin a coach on the last 2 minor management teams?

Edit: I thought Gorta and McGarry were supposed to be gone

Bergin was a selector the last couple of years with Richie Mulroney alright I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Whoever it is, they're obviously afraid of being the Eamonn Barry (or David Moyes) of Kilkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

When will we start hearing about player retirements? 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Grats

At least we don't have to wait until October, or indeed after Christmas like last year, to get ratification of senior hurling manager.

I expect the retirements to come soon.

Clearly Gorta and McGarry are happy to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

Great to see the merry go round continues. Dempsey now the director of hurling. God we are pathetic. How are the clubs standing for this.

In fairness I think the appointment of Dempsey to the role is a welcome change and at least it now looks like they are seriously looking at how far behind other counties we are. Dempsey chaired a similar position as head of the Talent Academy and Player Development Review Committee nationally and does bring a fair bit of expertise to the role. He’s been promised a big budget also to get our systems up to speed as soon as possible also.

With regards to the ratification of managers the clubs literally had no say in the matter they were proposed as a collective, they asked for someone to propose and second the ratification, your own club were first in line to ratify them. A few clubs then spoke up to register objections to the way it was being done, and to voice concerns about how things were going and against the ratification of the manager. They asked for a vote to take place and we’re told that a vote wouldn’t take place as they already had a proposer and seconder and they managers had been ratified. Most of the people who spoke out were against both senior and U-20 managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Jesus that is shocking ha. Two people deciding everything essentially by being a proposer and seconder?! That can't be the way things are done surely

Yeah that’s exactly how it played out, they basically used the announcement of Dempsey and his committee to try and deflect any criticism and questions that came there way. Some of the statements from officers of the county board last night about how much our style of play had changed and how successful a year was for our senior team was embarrassing! It would make you wonder what matches they were looking at last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

I'm guessing the line they went with was unless you have a counter proposal then the position will be filled by the only nominated parties.

Don't think I've ever felt so uninspired about Kilkenny hurling.

No as I said they ratified straight away by getting one of there own officers and the managers club to propose and second it. Once this was done as far as they were concerned the matter was over. They refused to answer any of the genuine and questions clubs had and deflected everything with there announcement of Dempsey and his position, which as I said earlier is very welcome, but isn’t going to improve the senior team anytime soon.

What questions were asked that they refused to answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

One question that should have been asked is this

"If Brian had stepped down after his 11th AI in 2015 and a new manager had been appointed then, is there any way in the world we would be here tonight rubber stamping that manager for his 7th season in charge, based on the results and performances of the last 6 years"?

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

They were asked to have a vote of the board delegates to on whether the management teams which they refused. They were asked if a review of the year had taken place with senior management team and their answer was that it had been a successful year and everyone was happy with how things had went. Two club delegates in particular was very vociferous in there displeasure with how things were done and put a lot of things to the county board about how things had gone the last few years and where they saw them going the next few years but one of the lesser profile officers of the board (not at the top table) basically said that they’d been ratified, that wouldn’t change and that we should get on with things and let Mick Dempsey start the process of improving the underage set up.

• Advertisement

Jaysus.....

What a shambles of a set up. Thats brutal. 6 years since our last A.I win, and looking like a while before we do win one again.

Have we gone back to the 80s? 90s? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This is like something you would read about happening in the FAI AGMs with Delaney and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KK36

It's heading for our worst drought in a long time. We haven't won any of the last 6 all irelands. 83-92 was 8.

One thing confuses me. Why wasn't there a vote? A proposer and a seconder is fine but that doesn't mean that the proposal is adopted. It still needs a majority to be adopted. Not allowing a vote sounds incorrect to me but others might know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

My understanding (and I might be wrong on this) is that there is only a vote if there is another competing candidate proposed and seconded. If only one candidate was proposed and seconded then there is no competition and no vote is required. The question is, was there anyone else interested in the post and if so why were they not proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭usualstripes

If there is a genuine feeling in the county (aside from the county board) that change is required for the good of the game, not just senior inter county, then everyone with this opinion should be addressing this with each and every club delegate to the county board. Its the only way. I know what the county board meetings are like but as I said if the feelings are genuine for changes to how we are progressing with the game, which i believe they are, then a little bit of ignorance may be required. It's not too late you know. Egm are there for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

It's concerning to see how far behind we are getting in all aspects of running county teams. To have only 3 games development officers in comparison with 13 in Wexford is shocking particularly when funding is available from Croke Park. I heard this week that S+C with the U 20s consists of 1 session in the gym in the park and being sent off to do the rest on your own. No group sessions or no access to a gym provided is hard to believe and what is even worse is that the manager is ok with this. Cody may be an issue as senior manager but there is also many other issues facing Kilkenny hurling at county level. While we may not be at the level of Nero fiddling while Rome burns, we are definitely at the stage where Rome might start to crumble if nothing is changed.

Hk

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sportsmaddad

• Registered Users Posts: 12 revanaghkk

Probably because of the 7 KK minor teams they were in charge of (2008-2010) and (2018-2021), those minor teams reached 6 All Ireland Finals out of 7, winning 2 finals and losing 4. Finan also led KK to an U21 All Ireland in 2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 upnorth

In between those two periods (2011 to 2017) KK reached 1 minor final, winning in 2014. Yeah, lucky to be rid of them!!!!

Advertisement