Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Sinn Fein has opposed building of 6,000 homes across Dublin - Fine Gael

  • 25-06-2021 9:53am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭ RandomName2


    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-has-opposed-building-of-6-000-homes-across-dublin-says-fine-gael-report-1.4602893

    One of the salient bits from the article

    The document also gives the example of the rezoning of old industrial lands across Dublin for up to 3,500 homes.

    “Sinn Féin voted against the majority of these rezoning projects – a majority of SF councillors voted yes on only three of the rezoning projects, and no on 14.”

    The sites are spread across the city, with a concentration in the southwest and northeast.

    Several councillors, including from the Social Democrats, Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin raised concerns.

    They said they could not support the rezonings because they did not know what sort of housing would be built on the lands, with a particular concern that tall apartments and co-living blocks would be built.

    Cllr Mícheál Mac Donncha of Sinn Féin said the rezoning was being proposed “within a deeply flawed planning and zoning system”.


    While we need homes to be affordable, multinational 'vulture' companies do pose a legitimate threat. On the other hand we see objections to the very nature of rezoning for things like the hypothetical heights of housing being too.. high. The best way to decrease prices is to increase supply. Provided that that supply is not monopolized, and is subject to the correct tax to disincentive hoarding, building more homes that should pose the best way to reduce prices.


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭ jam_mac_jam


    It's almost like they don't want the housing crisis solved.

    Planning needs to be taken away from local councils if they are refusing everything for political reasons.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,734 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152


    It's almost like they don't want the housing crisis solved.

    Planning needs to be taken away from local councils if they are refusing everything for political reasons.

    Of course Sinn Fein don't want the housing crisis solved. That would leave them with little ammunition to throw at the government. It is possibly the single worst example of opposition for opposition's sake in the history of the state. Cynical opportunistic populist politics at its worst.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭ maccored


    "Several councillors, including from the Social Democrats, Fianna Fáil and Sinn Féin raised concerns."

    You need to change the title of the thread to reflect the reality


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭ Fann Linn


    In other words, Fine Gael report says, '.... but SF... '


  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Chips Lovell


    It's almost like they don't want the housing crisis solved.

    Not till the next election at least.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ RulesOfNature


    All politicians from all parties are in the real estate game. Dont be naive in thinking Sinn Fein will solve all your problems.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭ Floppybits


    blanch152 wrote: »
    Of course Sinn Fein don't want the housing crisis solved. That would leave them with little ammunition to throw at the government. It is possibly the single worst example of opposition for opposition's sake in the history of the state. Cynical opportunistic populist politics at its worst.

    I see again that you are blinded by your complete and utter hatred for SF and as usual like a lot of people on you are incapable of judging anything involving SF neutrally and without bias.

    Go read it again and read the reasons for the objections and read who else opposed it.

    For what its worth I think they are correct to the be opposing planning where it is not clear what is type of housing is going to be built. This just nonsense from some quarters of just removing any planning and giving developers carte blanche to build what they like, how they like and where ever they like is complete and utter idiocy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,734 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152


    Floppybits wrote: »
    I see again that you are blinded by your complete and utter hatred for SF and as usual like a lot of people on you are incapable of judging anything involving SF neutrally and without bias.

    Go read it again and read the reasons for the objections and read who else opposed it.

    For what its worth I think they are correct to the be opposing planning where it is not clear what is type of housing is going to be built. This just nonsense from some quarters of just removing any planning and giving developers carte blanche to build what they like, how they like and where ever they like is complete and utter idiocy.

    Nonsense, they are opposing for the sake of opposing. They are stuck with the idea that everyone should have a three-bed house with a garden big enough for a trampoline paid for by the State. No country in the world can do that, but they oppose every single other initiative.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭ Fann Linn


    It's almost like they don't want the housing crisis solved.

    Planning needs to be taken away from local councils if they are refusing everything for political reasons.


    Councillors cannot oppose planning applications as a body. I think it's the gifting of public lands to developers that's at issue.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16 AirGuitarist


    Floppybits wrote:
    For what its worth I think they are correct to the be opposing planning where it is not clear what is type of housing is going to be built. This just nonsense from some quarters of just removing any planning and giving developers carte blanche to build what they like, how they like and where ever they like is complete and utter idiocy.


    All councils employ professional planners to make planning decisions based on agreed national and local planning policy... councillors get involved in planning decisions purely for political gain, another reason why they should be removed from these decisions.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭ Floppybits


    blanch152 wrote: »
    Nonsense, they are opposing for the sake of opposing. They are stuck with the idea that everyone should have a three-bed house with a garden big enough for a trampoline paid for by the State. No country in the world can do that, but they oppose every single other initiative.

    How do you know that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭ Floppybits


    All councils employ professional planners to make planning decisions based on agreed national and local planning policy... councillors get involved in planning decisions purely for political gain, another reason why they should be removed from these decisions.

    So you just want to give developers carte blanche to do what they want? Like say self regulation and developers can be trusted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭ Shebean


    Nasty and cynical propaganda by the Irish Times on behalf of the failed Fine Gael.
    This is damaging the prospect of tackling the housing crisis to try get one over on the opposition.
    It's cynical and antisocial.
    Enough of the games. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail need to step up for the tax paying public.
    These desperate spin tactics need to end. Public wellbeing is more important than Fine Gael worrying about polls.
    Any party that has an issue has explained it. If FF/FG put forward not fit for purpose building plans they need to be blocked.
    This idea that something is better than nothing is a con designed to snake in bad for profit buildings.
    Give up the selfish gaming.
    It's a desperate piece of spin.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,734 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152


    Shebean wrote: »
    Nasty and cynical propaganda by the Irish Times on behalf of the failed Fine Gael.
    This is damaging the prospect of tackling the housing crisis to try get one over on the opposition.
    It's cynical and antisocial.
    Enough of the games. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail need to step up for the tax paying public.
    These desperate spin tactics need to end. Public wellbeing is more important than Fine Gael worrying about polls.
    Any party that has an issue has explained it. If FF/FG put forward not fit for purpose building plans they need to be blocked.
    This idea that something is better than nothing is a con designed to snake in bad for profit buildings.
    Give up the selfish gaming.
    It's a desperate piece of spin.



    It is the media's fault.

    No. 17 of SF excuses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭ Shebean


    blanch152 wrote: »
    It is the media's fault.

    No. 17 of SF excuses.

    Fault for what? Your comment assumes a wrong was done that needs defending.
    Nothing wrong with SF/SD/FF objecting to bad builds.
    An Irish Times PR piece for Fine Gael showing up Fine Gael, their desperation, excuses, deflection, agenda and people selling the distraction is the problem.
    Fine Gael should put that energy into good builds which benefit the people pay their wages.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭ Fann Linn


    blanch152 wrote: »
    It is the media's fault.

    No. 17 of SF excuses.


    Not really media Blanch when you're just regurgitating and distributing something which was handed to them.

    Kinda like Snap Printers. Just printing a political party's spin.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16 AirGuitarist


    Floppybits wrote:
    So you just want to give developers carte blanche to do what they want? Like say self regulation and developers can be trusted.


    Reiterating my previous point here, but Council planners make planning decisions based on National and Local Policy... nothing in these policies about giving carte blanche to developers.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭ Podge_irl


    Floppybits wrote: »
    So you just want to give developers carte blanche to do what they want? Like say self regulation and developers can be trusted.

    Rezoning the land doesn't remove the requirement for planning permission.

    Voting against rezoning means nothing will be built based on hypothetical scenarios were they might not like what people might propose.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭ Gatling


    There was big push in Kingswood in tallaght to rezone a green area for housing ,a particular area known for higher value houses and no social housing ,the local councillors blocked the rezoning ,a sf councillor replied to a query on social media about keeping the land out of greedy billionaire developer's hands , meanwhile every bit of green space from tallaght to rathcoole is being hammered with large scale apartment developments


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭ Galwayguy35


    Kind of like O Riordain objecting to houses being built in his constituency a few years ago, couldn't have ordinary folk mixing with his posh neighbours.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ salonfire


    Fann Linn wrote: »
    In other words, Fine Gael report says, '.... but SF... '

    Yes, it is good to see Fine Gael continuously focus on the hypocrisy of SF. We know how stupid the electorate is so the more negative spin dumped on the IRA supporters and enemies of the State the better. Just to reinforce to people who SF are. Don't forget SF want Special Criminal Court stopped.

    I hope the attacks and digging into the antics of SF continue to ramp up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭ Hello 2D Person Below


    Well done to all who opposed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ salonfire


    Well done to all who opposed.

    So you're against land being made available for housing then. Where do suggest people should live?


  • Subscribers Posts: 35,999 ✭✭✭✭ sydthebeat


    Not at all surprised that SF are ignorant in regards to forward planning policy and procedures.

    Objecting to rezoning because you don't know exactly what type of building will be built is illogical and ignorant in the extreme


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭ Hello 2D Person Below


    salonfire wrote: »
    So you're against land being made available for housing then. Where do suggest people should live?

    I'm against wishy-washy proposals being smuggled through and exacerbating our housing crisis.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭ McMurphy


    salonfire wrote: »

    I hope the attacks and digging into the antics of SF continue to ramp up.

    I reckon the shinners are hoping that these "attacks" continue more than anyone else tbh. Went well at the last election, didn't it?

    A collaborative media - "Sinn Fein, something something IRA 30 years ago"

    "Electorate - "STFU and do something about this health and housing crisis FFS"

    The people harping on about the Ra and the troubles are literally a dying breed, being replaced each election cycle with new young voters who couldn't give a rats ass about the IRA in 1984, as they're too occupied with unobtainable mortgages and artificially inflated tenancies.

    You'd think FFG would have learned a lesson after the last election and concentrate on the real issues instead of telling young folk there used to be a war/conflict raging up north, but no, seems stupid is as stupid does.


  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ cassette50


    Leo Varadkar,

    “There’s a difference between being in favour of development & being in favour of every single development & I think it’s always the prerogative of a Councillor/TD to object to particular developments that they may see as inappropriate”


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ salonfire


    McMurphy wrote: »
    I reckon the shinners are hoping that these "attacks" continue more than anyone else tbh. Went well at the last election, didn't it?

    A collaborative media - "Sinn Fein, something something IRA 30 years ago"

    "Electorate - "STFU and do something about this health and housing crisis FFS"

    The people harping on about the Ra and the troubles are literally a dying breed, being replaced each election cycle with new young voters who couldn't give a rats ass about the IRA in 1984, as they're too occupied with unobtainable mortgages and artificially inflated tenancies.

    You'd think FFG would have learned a lesson after the last election and concentrate on the real issues instead of telling young folk there used to be a war/conflict raging up north, but no, seems stupid is as stupid does.

    30 years ago?

    Just this month, SF refused to back the Special Criminal Court and attended memorials for garda killers.

    How do SF intend to provide more housing by blocking more housing? Square that circle there in your own head, genius.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭ McMurphy


    salonfire wrote: »
    30 years ago?

    Just this month, SF refused to back the Special Criminal Court and attended memorials for garda killers.

    How do SF intend to provide more housing by blocking more housing? Square that circle there in your own head, genius.

    Well it's not just Sinn Fein that are against the SCC, last time I looked into that furore, seems the UN, amnesty international and the ICCL among others disagree with it also, I guess they're all raging shinners now too?

    The thirty years thing is a figure of speech, Garda McCabe was killed 25 years ago, might as well be 800 BC to some of the younger electorate who, as already mentioned are more worried about the aforementioned rent/mortgage/health crises.

    And lastly, there's little to no point AGREEING with every planning application either, Leo's quote above is on the money, the OP and others contributing to this thread seemed to have wilfully ignored the reasons for the objections.

    By the way, when you use the term "genius" in an obnoxious and condescending manner in which you have did in the post I quoted, it gives your argument less merit, just saying.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭ Ultimate Gowlbag


    salonfire wrote: »
    Yes, it is good to see Fine Gael continuously focus on the hypocrisy of SF. We know how stupid the electorate is so the more negative spin dumped on the IRA supporters and enemies of the State the better. Just to reinforce to people who SF are. Don't forget SF want Special Criminal Court stopped.

    I hope the attacks and digging into the antics of SF continue to ramp up.

    Jesus,the absolute state of this :pac::pac::pac:


Advertisement