Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Arrangements have been in place for that gas shortfall and even those most at risk should be able to limp through. I don't think there is much point reflecting on what I know now in relation to LNG as it's done and in the past. We get no gas from Russia but will certainly pay the price that this adventure will almost definitely cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

There’s a certain point at where diplomacy equals cowardice. Here’s a guy Zelinski who made a career mocking politicians like Potoshenko and Tymoshenko who spent time in prison fighting for Ukrainians freedom.

I would pray for strength to confront and endure hardships Russia would bring if they invaded Ireland but he played the comedic game and lost badly. He looks foolish and weak. He needs to stand up.

edit poroshenko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Nice try but we (Coveney and the EU) really shouldn’t be supporting and defending these mobs and their torchlit processions and neither should you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭brickster69

Now troops have gone into Ukraine it puts Biden in a difficult position with Nord Stream 2

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

28 posts and the name of an international solicitor who was born in Spain and practices law in the U.K.

I think that we found a genuine poster here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I see loads of lads here going on about Russia being bad guys and no trust etc … I hate to point out the obvious but how many wars has the west been in for the last two decades … and they weren’t wanted by the people there either … they absolutely fuct up Iraq and Afghanistan leaving the countries arguably worse than before they went in…. I’m sure putin is a bit of a bolox but western leaders are no better… and coincidentally the western leaders only get worried about human rights in a country where there’s resources like oil btw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's naivety in modern Western politics.

A complete lack of interest in long term, strategic planning, complete disregard for national security, energy security, food security , societal security etc.

That's regardless of left or right.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I never said this was completely the fault of the west.

I am saying we could have been much smarter in how we approached this.

You can even see people on this forum laughing at Russia, as if they are irrelevant. If this is true, and their opinion is irrelevant, then why are we now facing a situation where possibly all of Europe is scared of Russia? (as many people here have intimated)

That doesn't sound like a nation that is completely irrelevant, who we can simply ignore and disregard. In fact, it seems like a complete contradiction.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

There was a comment by Putin in the last segment of his speech last night where I thought he said he wanted NATO to revert back to being only made up of members that were there in the 90s. I haven’t heard much said about it so I think I picked him up wrong.

So, I’ve googled the transcript and gone to the Russian government website where they have it, in English. The speech is so long that they haven’t finished typing it yet but have added

….. to be continued 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think Russia is wrong in this and that every Anti tank missile in the West should be given to The Ukraine, so that a Russian Army dog can't even piss against a post without a shoulder missile fired at him but you are correct in saying that people are fundamentally not understanding the Russian view of this situation. Understanding it doesn't mean you agree with it.

• Advertisement

Putin studied international law in St. Petersburg, clearly with one eye on how to break it.

I watched RT last night after the speech. As the talking heads talked, they kept showing, on a loop, a rag tag small crowd --15-20 people tops-- gathered in one of the contested regions to celebrate Putin's decision. Fireworks and all. Music blaring. More journalists than celebrants, though it was hard to tell which was which. A couple of women from that group walked into what looked like a hotel. One threw herself on the ground in thanks. This was shown on repeat too. Pathetic stuff that would be funny if there weren't so many peoples' lives at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, Putin recognising two miserable dissident states is pretty pathetic as a response. I don't think that's what he wanted to do - there is nothing to gain. He doesn't control Ukraine, and will just have to spend money to keep the new states from collapsing. Next we'll have a similar farce in Belarus, but after that we'll see if Putin is bold enough to move against the rest of Ukraine (the troops are a bit closer now), or if he will pretend this was some kind of a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

If you knew anything about the Nazi occupation of Ukraine you would understand why the ethnic Russians refused to recognise the coup as legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

Atleast we have millennials  who won't go to war for Ukraine. A few hashtags will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭brickster69

That is the way forward, NATO is finished as we know it now.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Can anyone tell how much of our oil and gas comes from Russia? Just BJ say only 3% of Uk gas comes from Russia..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭paul71

What aboutism whataboutism whatabouitism. Same old Kremlim BOT rubbish you have been spouting for years on boards Elmer. I can do whataboutism too! Ukraine lost millions to the Soviets in the deliberate famines of the 30s.

Did those millions lost justify supporting NAZIs in WW2, no did did not. And the price of turnips does not justify your continued propaganda in favour of a brutal murderous dictator today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,791 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This one isnt even trying. I'm not sure what core library it's consuming but it's got ways to go on sentence construction.

What about cruise missiles fired from a barracks or warship that Ukraine can't reach? Imagine that threat till infinity. Anti-tank missiles are no-good unless Russia wants to occupy Kiev. Easier to do a Grozny mK2.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Staleturnips

Can you confirm Minister that Vladimir Putin is doing a bitta shooting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You don't anything about ukraine or whats going on in Ukraine you repeatedly shown that over the last 8 years ,

Your bs has been debunked time and time again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Radio silence for alot of yesterday, now post Putin's announcements we've some gloating like "Send them hugs and "you ok, hun" haha. Thoughts and prayers might work too.", "Hash tags will suffice!", & also "Welcome to the new world order!" + (just now I see) "Easier to do a Grozny Mk 2"

Less of poor Russia, surrounded by Nasty-NATO and thrreatened by Nazi-Ukraine. Slightly more honest? (maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭zv2

It varies from country to country. I heard 40% (average) mentioned.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Russian air superiority will cover any drone incursions and turn the take off point to dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

February 23, 2008

Russian President Vladimir Putin today described the declaration of independence by Kosovo as a "terrible precedent" that will come back to hit the West "in the face."

"The precedent of Kosovo is a terrible precedent, which will de facto blow apart the whole system of international relations, developed not over decades, but over centuries," Putin told a Moscow meeting of regional leaders.

"They have not thought through the results of what they are doing. At the end of the day it is a two-ended stick and the second end will come back and hit them in the face."

It's called Blowback, NATO: South Ossetia, Donetsk, People’s Republic of Luhansk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I’ve a pipe goin right up the road by my estate and the useless bastards in Irish gas won’t bring it the few metres in to me!!! I’m actually on the edge of the estate so wouldn’t have far too travel…. And they won’t …they want me to do their work and try talk a third of the estate into signing up for gas and they might consider it!! With a pack of pricks like that controlling gas in this country … we needn’t worry about them managing or tryin to get gas over from Russia 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Polar101

Those "gas dependency" numbers are big, but it's good to remember most countries don't use gas as their sole source of energy - so Russian gas is not that important to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So Russia pulls a Kosovo on it and officially recognises Luhansk and Donetsk separatists... still waiting on the invasion up to the Dnieper, I'm sure they'll get there in 2 more weeks. And I thought the west were going to "kick Russias ass"? I'm sure the all out war some posters crave will kick off shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

In fairness to the Greens, maybe just reflecting a BANANAs electorate.

Even with political will, when I look at precedents, I shudder to think how long it will take to build what must be a dirty/ugly bit of infrastructure like a gas terminal.

We can't even build a hospital (not just any hospital, one for sick children) without public rowing over location and the size of the car parks, planners blocking it because it is too large, and politicians playing games with it. Anyway possibly that was far off topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement