Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Re-Wire - New stuff I should consider

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Oh, I've another one....

Don't forget the outside of the house.
    Outdoor sockets.
    Some possibilities include:
    -Christmas lights
    -Robot mower charging base
    -patio area (to plug in temporary things)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lobbylad

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions.

I have outdoor sockets thankfully, but will put in an outdoor cat-6 for wifi to stretch into the garden.
    The attic was converted to habitable by previous owners (just never completed with bedroom/bathroom), so there is suitable side storage space for the ethernet equipment (temp is fine in attic).

Good points on future proofing the car charger too.

I've no intention of smart switches yet, but will take the advice on deeper boxes and neutral wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

I would also pull network cables to each corner of the house if you ever wanted to install cameras now or later.
    I would also pull a cable for an outside shed (mancave)
    Also a network cable to the front door for a smart video door bell

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Terry.. wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of in-built usb chargers, the technology moves on and you're left with a semi obsolete faceplate

What has moved on in terms of USB? The socket end is still Type-A, same as the original spec, the peripheral end has changed many times, but for charging use case, not sure that matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

GreeBo wrote: »
    What has moved on in terms of USB? The socket end is still Type-A, same as the original spec, the peripheral end has changed many times, but for charging use case, not sure that matters?

USB C is fast becoming the charger port of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Power and data bandwidth transmission are always increasing, but they always keep backwards compatibility. I suppose it doesn't mean they will keep backwards compatibility going forward. V3.1 was only released in May and they are working v4. But for charging devices, you wouldn't need to worry too much.

Same with HDMI, if you are installing HDMI cables in the wall, make sure they are easy to replace. Or you may not be able to get a signal later as the standard evolves over time. HDMI 2.1 is the current standard.

Cerco wrote: »
    USB C is fast becoming the charger port of choice.

Yeah, but thats at the peripheral end, the socket end is still typically USB-A, still on every laptop, computer, etc.

jester77 wrote: »
    Power and data bandwidth transmission are always increasing, but they always keep backwards compatibility. I suppose it doesn't mean they will keep backwards compatibility going forward. V3.1 was only released in May and they are working v4. But for charging devices, you wouldn't need to worry too much.

Yeah, that was my point, from a charging point of view the USB version is kinda irrelevant, you just need a USB A socket, you can have whatever version you want at the other end, the socket will never be obsolete imo.

Yeah, but thats at the peripheral end, the socket end is still typically USB-A, still on every laptop, computer, etc.

No, this is not the case. Some laptops have even moved to USB4 e.g. Macs.
    USB A is old technology now.
    iPhone12's have moved to type "C" .

Yeah, that was my point, from a charging point of view the USB version is kinda irrelevant, you just need a USB A socket, you can have whatever version you want at the other end, the socket will never be obsolete imo.

Compare the specs between USB A and USB C. You will from a charging perspective type "C" is far superior to "A".

One of the raison d'etres for "C" was for charging laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

They still serve a purpose, but I'd be less enthusiastic about them these days given the various proprietary "fast charge" standards out there.

USB-C PD (power delivery) is quite useful. Basically it can negotiate the voltage output between 5 V (standard USB) and 20 V (typical laptop voltage). Many modern laptops can charge via a USB-C PD charger now. I have one charger now in my laptop bag for going on trips (maybe some day!). It can charge my phone and laptop, among other things.

Totally get that it might not charge as quickly as whatever the latest happens to be in the future, but its not like it will be a betamax player and be totally useless, you will still be able to charge it with TypeA -> Type(x) cables, and I reckon changing the face plate in 5 years time isn't really too much of a big deal, compared to not having USB sockets and having to have a usb plug in every room...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Terry..

Can you actually IR test an installation with these in place

It was me that said I'm against but haven't actually come across them

In general with equipment "separates" is usually better, applies to a lot of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Do/have/should people use flexible conduits for network cables?

They're the one thing that are likely to be out of date in 10 years, so wouldn't fitting them so that you can easily pull the new cable through without having to rip anything up/crawl through the attic be a good idea?

Just something that's occurred to me when I'm thinking of doing some upgrades at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    Do/have/should people use flexible conduits for network cables?

They're the one thing that are likely to be out of date in 10 years, so wouldn't fitting them so that you can easily pull the new cable through without having to rip anything up/crawl through the attic be a good idea?

Just something that's occurred to me when I'm thinking of doing some upgrades at home

Off the top of my head doubt it for most routes, would be quicker just rewiring, some flat oval conduit ya

Isn't the cat6 1Gbit

How much more bandwidth is likely to be needed anyway for most of the cables

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Henry... wrote: »
    Off the top of my head doubt it for most routes, would be quicker just rewiring, some flat oval conduit ya

Isn't the cat6 1Gbit

No chance it would be quicker. My house has conduit in the walls and under the floors for all current cables. I can easily pull through new cables. I wouldn't fancy having to routes out channels in the walls or dig up the floors just to lay new cable, the underfloor heating system is on top of the conduit which would complicate it even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

jester77 wrote: »
    No chance it would be quicker. My house has conduit in the walls and under the floors for all current cables. I can easily pull through new cables. I wouldn't fancy having to routes out channels in the walls or dig up the floors just to lay new cable, the underfloor heating system is on top of the conduit which would complicate it even more.

The drops yes obviously they will be in regular conduit but after that rewiring usually entails lifting boards or making holes

No way round that

Henry... wrote: »

Isn't the cat6 1Gbit

The advantage of the round flexi conduit is that you could have an unbroken route from network switch to socket. When you want to change cable all you would have to do is stand in one spot and pull the new one through.

Oval conduit usually only goes as far as the ceiling or floor, then you're ripping up floors or crawling through the attic. Totally different. With the way things are now I doubt many would consider an upgrade unless they really had to.

Will there be need? Absolutely.
    I would consider cat6 already outdated for a new install

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

You are supposed to be able to get 10Gb down short runs of cat 6 so I would see it as viable for a few years yet.
    The ability to swap it out down the line though it's essential.

ArrBee wrote: »
    You are supposed to be able to get 10Gb down short runs of cat 6 so I would see it as viable for a few years yet.
    The ability to swap it out down the line though it's essential.

Yeah, there would be no need for an upgrade now but I also wouldn't accept cat6 if I were getting a new installation - much better to pay a tiny bit extra and get double the life-span.

You get the feeling that even now this doesn't get too much thought - throw in CAT6, box ticked, be grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement