Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving test cancelled due to the disc strip is faded from green to blue

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Candlel

Many home printers don't have colour. I guess you've got to go to a print shop in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Local libraries have colour printers. There’s an email you send you docs to and collect them in the branch.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Candlel

That's very good to know. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Are you meant to park the car in a cave out of the sunlight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You could have a nicely coloured disk, but still have no insurance and there is a real question about the insurance associated with the insurance disk covering a learner doing a test.

The testing booking system should be linked to new database and validate the car generally and there should be some inspection of the detail of the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭M3CS

What's the logic behind these testers refusing to allow people to do their tests because of this? Do they get a 30-minute paid break every time they can spot a slightly different shade of green? I'd love to know what's motivating them to do this to people that they know are feeling the stress and pressure of the occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The tester probably went back in and had a cup of tea and a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

So if you were to go over the faded green section with a good marker that would do and the jobsworth tester would never know.

It just goes to show how backward the test is and what are the RSA doing, sfa thats what.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Have to say that this type of carry one makes me frustrated as a fellow public servant. The real question is where are the supervisors or managers of these testers. The test requirement should be for valid insurance for the person under examination, as the window piece with the green strip only indicated the vehicle is insured for someone possibly not the person under test.

Those who have been refused a test should make a formal complaint, perhaps a flood of complaints to be answered might get this procedures revised.

I currently drive myself with a black & white version, I will not be requiring any test though, and am confident any Garda that might look at it will not have any issues, as Gardai tend to use their powers and discretion wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

Utter nonsense. That stipulation needs to be changed by the RSA (but it won't be of course). I have a good home printer but the colours can vary depending on the quality of the refill cartridges.

It is another box-ticking exercise by bureaucrats who have no concept of the real workplace and the pressures. I can understand a test being void if I turn up with a defective light bulb etc. That said, when a test is cancelled in such circumstances, a new test date within 7 days should be available. Learner drivers cannot put their lives on hold - the system has been broken for 50 years or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I see a post on page 1 of this thread on about a magnetic L plate and it brought back memories of attempting to do my first test.

Horrible day p1ssing rain. Magnetic L plate stuck onto the back of my Aul fellas van at the petrol station right beside the test centre. Tip over to do the test. It gets to the walk around bit and sure a sh1t there's no longer an L plate on the back. I was sickened told the tester it's definitely on the ground in the petrol station forecourt, say to him I'll get it and be back in a couple of minutes tops I've tape in the van I'll tape it inside the back window this time.

He says to me it's unlikely he'll be able to do the test, busy schedule etc. Anyways off I go and I'm back in no time at all less than 5 mins and as I drive in the gate isn't yer man heading off in his own yoke. I wait for him and he doesn't return for about 45 minutes at which point he swans in to the test centre car park suppin a coffee from the feckin petrol station I had just been to. I just shook me head and said for f*cK sake when he still maintained he'd no time to test me.

I had the hoor again for the next test and we were done and dusted after about 15/20 mins passed no bother. Always hoped he at least felt a little bit guilty about the whole thing even though it was completely my fault for using the useless magnetic plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Unfortunately you could meet a garda who is having a bad day & might take a different view. The legislation really needs to changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

Its actually gas that this is still happening FFS.

I'm not sure how the testing system is as I did mine over 10 years ago, but I remember my brother went to do his maybe 2 years ago and him telling me you have to wait to be invited or some nonsense like that for a test.

So you wait months for a test, stressed to the T about the test, get lots of lessons in , just to be told on the day by some higher then mighty guy, "hmmm that shade of green on that disc isn't good enough , now f**k off". For most people that means they won't be working for more months.

Sure the disc doesn't prove anything about insurance. You can make your own and just stick it in the window.

Now because of this there will be even more of a back log then there was before.

Thank God I don't have to go through this stuff, but I'm dreading what it will be like when the kids are old enough to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Exactly

I think something like this warrants cornering the tester away from the place of work - whether it’s a shop etc. and just call them out for what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Refusing the test because of a lack of a green strip is nothing new.

I dont know why people are so surprised.

20+ years ago, tests were refused if you had the (officially printed) insurance disc folded into the holder, and the the green wasn't visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Indeed you could, but it might be worth seeing if it would be brought to court for non payment. Would a Superintendent deem such a matter more worthy of the courts time than a violent assault, robbery or shoplifting case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Raichų

my insurance disc, posted by Zurich, had no green strip at all. Lucky I don’t have a driving test due!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The superintendent would never even see it. Non payment of a fine will auto generate a summons to court.

Even if it didn't, superintendents aren't worried about the court's time, it's for the Courts Service to make courts run.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭boardz

Not the exact same issue but my daughter did her test in my car last year. My insurance was up on the 27th June and as Aviva had sent me the new insurance a week before this date I put the new disc in the windscreen. Her test was on the 26th. He copped the start date wasn't untill the next day and refused to do the test. I explained what happened and had the current insurance cert in the glove box but wasn't interested. No point in pushing it at the time = certain fail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement