Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test cancelled due to the disc strip is faded from green to blue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I think your trying to put it in the wrong holder, the nct disc holder is smaller than the insurance disc holder

Don't be giving them ideas :)

I can see a future thread entitled "Driving test cancelled due to insurance disc in wrong holder".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭ozmo

By law it must display the green slip at the side, even the dimensions must be correct....

If in future it doesn't fit, fold it or fold a little on both sides to show a little green....

Absolutely ridiculous as I said though for a tester to fail, cancel the test.... Pure idiotic.

Its this one - wasn't cheap:
    "Halfords 3 Disc Irish Tax Disc Holder"

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-accessories/interior-car-accessories/halfords-3-disc-irish-tax-disc-holder-silver-144363.html

Sold in Dublin and says designed for Irish market...
    Its like two fridge magnet halves - three cutouts for the papers - but if you were to fold the paper it makes it too thick and the two magnet halves wont stay together.

Many of the other 3-slot tax disks I've had and seen are the same dimensions - most don't allow the green stripe to show.

“Roll it back”

People actually defending this ludicrous, gowlish behaviour from the tester. Boards.ie, you never cease to amaze.

serious amount of boot lickers on here,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0oTDS9ur_U
    I miss the river Shannon
    And the folks at Skibbereen
    The moorlands and the meddle
    With their forty shades of green
    But most of all I miss a girl
    In Tipperary town
    And most of all I miss her lips
    As soft as eiderdown
    Again I want to see and do
    The things we've done and seen
    Where the breeze is sweet as Shalimar
    And there's forty shades of green
    (Green, green, forty shades of green)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

What a jobsworth :mad:

What else can your wife do OP except reschedule her test and pray to God that she doesn't get that twerp of a tester again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

....and just to add to this. Nowhere does it state that the Green Strip must be originally on the Disc. Just that it must be there.
    I have a B&W Laser Printer (much cheaper to run than a colour printer).
    For the last few years myself, my wife,and my younger Son have always printed out our own Insurance discs. These print off in black and White and every time I just use a Light Green Marker to add a Strip down the side of the Disc.
    I never bothered doing this until the Son sat his Test and the Tester pointed out to him that 'technically' his Insurance Disc didn't comply with the Regulations......but that he would still allow my Son to undergo his Test.

OP, sorry, it's of no help to you, but might help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

This is unbelievable. I hope you have lodged a complaint.

If I was in your shoes, especially being a health worker at the moment and owed a depth of gratitude from the country in terms of everything you both have down since covid19, I would be livid.

I've never gone to Joe Duffy or the media in my life but I would be in the paper now with the headline "Healthcare worker denied badly needed test to get to work in a pandemic due to disc not being green enough".

It's a long time since I heard something as ridiculous as it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Flyb4ck

Saying the strip has to be of "green colour" is the equivalent of writing a law that says you get a fine if you drive "fast". The law shouldn't leave room for interpretation and abuse in particular when we talk about an insurance disc which the purpose is unknown (motorbike don't need one for example).

I'm not OP and I don't know whether he decide to lodge a complaint but my partner is going to have a test and in an ideal world this shouldn't be something we would need to worry about. I contacted RSA and Insurance Ireland to hear their comment on this (there is room to update a 40 year old regulation in particular now that all certificates are digital and they ask us to print them at home).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Tester should be beaten raw with a strip of celery, but then again he'd probably like that......gimp, wasting people's time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

I just checked my print at home cert and it specifically states :

"Please note your insurance disc is only valid if printed on a
    white background and the green band on the left-hand side is
    printed in colour. The insurance certificate and disc must be
    printed on A4 paper. Failure to print/display the insurance disc
    correctly could result in you being fined under the Road Traffic
    Act 1961 (as amended)."

You can request one from them if you don't have a colour printer. Surely in this digital age a strip of colour on a cert is archaic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ec_pc wrote: »
    I just checked my print at home cert and it specifically states :

"Please note your insurance disc is only valid if printed on a
    white background and the green band on the left-hand side is
    printed in colour. The insurance certificate and disc must be
    printed on A4 paper. Failure to print/display the insurance disc
    correctly could result in you being fined under the Road Traffic
    Act 1961 (as amended)."

You can request one from them if you don't have a colour printer. Surely in this digital age a strip of colour on a cert is archaic?

Crayola....

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Crayola....

Good suggestion, now the next problem is which shade?

04-3305-0-200_My-Color-Is_Green_8ct_F1.jpg?sw=790&sh=790&sm=fit&sfrm=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Flyb4ck wrote: »
    The messenger was the person that brought up a silly reason to cancel the test that in no possible way affects the safety and the ability of the driver to be on the road. In this case was the "messenger" choice to choose the pettiest reason to cancel a test.
    I think you've taken me up wrongly. When I said 'Don't shoot the messenger' I meant don't shoot me for identifying the relevant legislation governing the display of insurance discs (which someone had asked for).

I wasn't defending the tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jd06

Same thing happened to a friend of my today.

Half way through the tester told her pull over and told her the strip had faded from green to blue

Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Was the test stopped?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

Was the tester able to see the colour from the back while sitting inside the car? Did they take it out of the holder to look at it while the test was underway?

• Seeing as she was told to pull over the tester obviously decided to inspect it then and there. Perhaps part of the route (or he forgot beforehand)

I would think that if checking the discs is part of the pre-test inspection the examiner has no grounds to stop the test once underway because he forgot to do his job properly.

It's about time this colour thing was knocked on the head anyway because the disc doesn't prove that the test candidate is covered by the policy on the car.

Ya she had to drive back to the centre then.

She should have left him where he was

He told her to take it out.

She assumes that he knew beforehand when he was checking tax and insurance and said nothing. Then let her do half the test then told her what ever the reasoning for that was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭ozmo

there is usually some technical reason for these requirements..

do you think there might have been some old automated reader for the disk - that is now no longer used ? Some computer that needs those bands to lock on.

Or is it a EU thing with different countries having different colours?

2) Every insurance disc shall be of paper with a white background and with a green band not less than 8mm wide and not more than 12mm wide extending along and left hand side.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Heard on the radio this evening that over 1500 complaints had gone into the RSA over testers, One was for the applicants mask dropping down I mean FFS they could just ask the person to adjust the mask.

Another thing is what is the general background of these testers? Have they worked in the real world of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A lot of public sector employees on here.

Thankfully I got my licence in a decent, properly functioning country.

This messing with insurance discs is rightly condemned by most posting here.

This is a decent country but as in all countries public administration can lose it's way sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Have you seen the anpost returning extra eu packages thread? Had mine returned to Japan twice. Took my son 23 months to get a foreign birth reg. I was on an hse waiting list for 18 months and the outcome was unsatisfactory. I'm leaving. I have different criteria for 'decent.'

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

An Post CEO Interviewed on the Claire Byrne radio show last week and my god, rarely have I heard such breathtaking arrogance. The man essentially blaming everyone but an post and in the same Interview essentially threw his own post office network under the bus. In essence, doesn't give a Toss and polishing up his resume for the Job as DG at RTE, actually that job just might suit his arrogance.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

My sons test cancelled this morning due to faded disc also. He was so disappointed and the money to pay for the test didn't come easy to us. I've sent a complaint to Liberty, but also since Covid and policy documents and discs being sent as pdf's, surely the RSA need to take this into account. Very frustrating altogether

Sorry to hear about your experience.

You could copy your complaint to the RSA and maybe your local TD.

The testers are only doing this because they can.

Someone higher up the food chain needs to take action to stop it.

Thanks for your reply. I have emailed RSa and Liberty. Will definitely email local Td also

• Advertisement

Advertisement