Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test cancelled due to the disc strip is faded from green to blue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,955 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Perhaps I'm wrong but are these Testers, RSA, taking the literal meaning of an insurance disc display requirements from the pages of the road traffic act? This particular legislation whilst sensible in the context of a Garda being able to determine a Disc is valid at a checkpoint or perhaps traffic stop. I'd suspect any sensible garda would be more interested in the Details on the disc, not a strip that has discolored slightly.

In 1986 No driver was forced to print their own disc, numerous are now, are they to be penalised for a slight tone issue from a home printer, it's just extraordinary.

Furthermore technology, Garda mobility app etc doesn't check the F****** off color of a stripe on a disc.

I also wondered what a district court Judge would say if a motorist was hauled into court because a garda was concerned about faded green stripe, I'd reckon there would be howl's of laughter in the court as the charge read out, might actually make a great Monty python scetch.

I reckon Joe Duffy would have a field day with this, probably get two shows out of it :)

Just got some feedback from a buddy who's spoken to colleagues who test, None have ever, ever refused to do a test on this rule, infact they went as far as to say it's rarely if ever discussed.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

This is why I ask the insurance company to send the disk, rather than print it myself. If the RSA say the strip must be green, then they need to define the shade. Does it mean light green, teal green, forest green, hunter green, racing green - what?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

When I took my test many many years ago, it was pointed out to me that there was a typo on the insurance disc making the reg incorrect. He still let me take the test though - and I passed.

I’d had pre-test lessons in the car. is this and the OP’s issue not something that driving instructors should be pointing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry to hear this OP.

I think you should lodge an official complaint. Even if it doesn't result in a change of heart by the RSA it will at least give you the satisfaction of calling out the stupidity.

A fully documented with photos report to a local TD might be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Zaney wrote: »
    When I took my test many many years ago, it was pointed out to me that there was a typo on the insurance disc making the reg incorrect. He still let me take the test though - and I passed.

I’d had pre-test lessons in the car. is this and the OP’s issue not something that driving instructors should be pointing out?

When my wife took her test the L was missing off the back of the car.

The tester shrugged and said, “let’s just say it fell off after we started the test”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Unknowingly, I've always cut the green strip off my disc as I've never had a holder that the disc will fit into. Fits perfect with the green strip cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭wandererz

My advice would be to send a dildo or a box of chocolate Willie's to the head of the test center.

And a "massive dick" congratulations card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

It does make you wonder about the people they employ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Of course the real killer is that the precious scrap of paper on the windscreen doesn't even prove that the driver is covered by the insurance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

I did my test in a Rav4 with tinted rear windows. The L Plate was barely visible on the back. You really had to look for it to see it. Tester mentioned it in a bit of a jokey way. I also had a supervisor on the test with me. Both tester and supervisor were happy to proceed with the test.

Just before my test took place, another test was taking place and as their car turned out onto the main road, their magnetic L plate that was stuck to the bonnet flew off and away with a gust of wind.

We both did our tests, and we both passed.

I was told in advance of my test to ensure my disc had the green strip visible, by my instructor. However, considering the stuff I (and others) get/got away with, I would assume your wife managed to insult the tester somewhere along the way, and he pointed out the green band as a way of telling her to feck off. I've never heard of anyone fail for it.

The tester (and supervisor) I had were both polite and nice and realistic. I did stuff you shouldn't really do on a test (like give up your right of way to let other cars off minor roads and such) but I explained what I was at, and they didn't mark me down for it. I think testers are also under pressure to clear backlogs, so I really would be of the opinion that only one side of the story is being told here, and the tester took issue with your wife and used the only thing he could find, against her.

That said, it is a legitimate reason for a tester not to conduct a test, so although I'd complain, I wouldn't expect any recompense from RSA.

He didnt conduct the test due to the color of the strip.

• Advertisement

jinish wrote: »
    He didnt conduct the test due to the color of the strip.

I know, I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What an absolute grade A tool that tester was.....

I've my licence thirty years, even back in that time the testers also had quotas to fail. Too lazy now to even bother taking the driver out to evaluate their driving.

I suspect a FOI request to get the numbers of people failing tests weekly or monthly at different test centres would show some very suspicious yet consistent statistics and not more random figures that you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Complete load of bo11ix, I'd be insensed, worst is now you can actually print your own from your provider, they should make that illegal and insist on a hollogram issued version if they are going to mess people around like this. Next thing there will be Garda checkpoints with colour swatches checking if your NCT disc is yellow enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What an absolute grade A tool that tester was.....

Id understand if the car was in roadworthy, insurance out of date or wrong reg but the colour on the side which does absolutely nothing.....

I really thought I had heard it all....

That is nuts
    Probably been 'working from home' the last year and is piss3d off being back...... The OP ends up paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Probably been 'working from home' the last year and is piss3d off being back...... The OP ends up paying for it.

Testers were working all pandemic. There is such a huge backlog at the moment I think testers have to go by the letter of the law. The tester didn't write the rule himself, and not being aware of a rule is not an excuse.

The real problem is why they were not enforcing rules pre-pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Testers were working all pandemic. There is such a huge backlog at the moment I think testers have to go by the letter of the law. The tester didn't write the rule himself, and not being aware of a rule is not an excuse.

The real problem is why they were not enforcing rules pre-pandemic.

No they were not, they oy eventually came back....

Seriously if that's in a window displayed correctly, why would one argue over the colour band on it..... Ridiculous....

Please see the reason they have provided and a copy of her insurance disc. I dont think its really blue.
    As someone earlier suggested, i should seek the definition of green and blue from RSA.

If one looks it's actually got about the same amount of blue as it does green.... I definitely would be going further.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've my licence thirty years, even back in that time the testers also had quotas to fail....
    A cancelled test is not a 'fail'. You can't fail an exam that you haven't taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

If one looks it's actually got about the same amount of blue as it does green.... I definitely would be going further.

I had a look at her and mine previous discs. She has total three discs, the previous ones green strip is now grey. He current one is bluish green. All issued from AXA
    But mine is not faded, still green, from FBD. However, 2017 AXA is grey.
    AXA must be using very bad paper or ink for their certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Flyb4ck

It's a requirement since 1st July 1986 when the Road Traffic (Insurance Disc) Regulations 1984 came into force. Section 3, part 2, states that the disc must not be discoloured.

(Don't shoot the messenger!).

The messenger was the person that brought up a silly reason to cancel the test that in no possible way affects the safety and the ability of the driver to be on the road. In this case was the "messenger" choice to choose the pettiest reason to cancel a test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Do we know when the testers eyes were last calibrated for colour blindness?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

flazio wrote: »
    Some insurers make you print the disc out yourself. Imagine if the home printer wasn't topped up with the correct ink. This is crazy from the RSA.

I always printed mine in grayscale as well. Didn’t know that was a problem

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi dears
    My wife had a driving test today.
    During the checks the tester told her that he can not conduct the test because the green stripe on the disc is faded to blue. Its cancelled, and we lost €85 trst fee.
    When she called me, I could not believe it.
    I then called the insurance provider AXA, they basically told me that they can not do anything about it, but could reprint certs again.
    I called the RSA customer care, they suggested to write a complaint.
    We both are healthcare workers, and took a lot of hassle to arrange a day off for this test. How on earth they could provide reasons like this for canceling test?
    I am literally furious at this. I really think it was so unfair and uneard of What shall I do?
    Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi,

That was unforgivable, especially in the present situation with the massive scarcity of tests.

When was the disc issued ?. If for the normal twelve months the examiner would know from the expiry date how long it had been on display. If only there for a short period of time then he could perhaps assume it was a forgery. But if there for a few months then common sense should tell him it could have faded, and/or tint changed slightly.

You should take a scan or photograph,of the entire disc, showing the non faded portions.

Send a copy to your insurance company demanding restitution for all expenses incurred as they issued you with a disc that was unfit for purpose.

I would also lodge a complaint with RSA Ballina, also sent a photo copy, demand to be put back on a short list for a test

Best of luck

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

the green strip is always folded over on my car as i've never had a holder that they would fit into otherwise. Completely stupid reason to refuse a test over it. like we have any say over the sun in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

People actually defending this ludicrous, gowlish behaviour from the tester. Boards.ie, you never cease to amaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

THe insurance disc is crystal clear. Not at all faded. It's just the green strip on the end, sun and is now greenish blue. Both ends of the strip are still green.

By Insurance “disc” do you mean the rectangular paper “square” you put in car window?

Ive only tore off this week my green stripe to make it fit in the new halfords holder :/. Does this invalidate the not-actually-a-disk disk?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Seriously? This is utter nonsense!

When I did my test in Ireland 30+years ago, I passed first time, despite all the nervousness….my last driving test in the states (no insurance check, no plate tags checked, took all of 3 minutes, turn left, turn right park… that was it. Have been driving a long time and never had an accident and would be classed as a safe driver….yet now if I move back home I have to sit the driving test again… such BS

So sorry for this ridiculous situation OP…`

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

ozmo wrote: »
    By Insurance “disc” do you mean the rectangular paper “square” you put in car window?

Ive only tore off this week my green stripe to make it fit in the new halfords holder :/. Does this invalidate the not-actually-a-disk disk?

I think your trying to put it in the wrong holder, the nct disc holder is smaller than the insurance disc holder

ozmo wrote: »

By law it must display the green slip at the side, even the dimensions must be correct....

If in future it doesn't fit, fold it or fold a little on both sides to show a little green....

Absolutely ridiculous as I said though for a tester to fail, cancel the test.... Pure idiotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I've never heard of this rule. Wow what a crappy thing to happen.. I'm thankful I never met a tester like that.

Advertisement