Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) stepping into Dark Side of the Force?

Options

Comments

I could take or leave Pink Floyd but I'm a big fan of Roger Waters. It'd be handy for him to sit back and enjoy his wealth but he has decided to spend his time productively. Credit to him.

Not much he can do about what headline a publication uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

went to see him gdansk in 2018 'a little bit of politics' to say the least, great gig though
    'resist' t shirts flying out (resist what i wasnt sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All these pensioner musicians with more money than God lose their connection with reality eventually. Look at Eric Clapton. And Van Morrison.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    All these pensioner musicians with more money than God lose their connection with reality eventually. Look at Eric Clapton. And Van Morrison.

Where’s the divorce from reality here? He supports Assange and I think Palestine. That’s up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fvp4 wrote: »
    Where’s the divorce from reality here? He supports Assange and I think Palestine. That’s up to him.

hes absolutely right for supporting both, very intelligent guy, love seeing him go off on one during diem debates, very angry guy, but for right reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

And how pricky they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

zom wrote: »
    Even if it is about fighting against Ayatollahs regime you can get wrong impression reading just article heading?

That's hardly his fault, though.

And how pricky they are.

Well to be fair, RW was always a small intramuscular injection.

Palestine, grand, work away.

Assange is a seditious so-and-so with a narcissistic God complex, who undermines the West and endangers the life of servicemen and women all over the World who have no influence on the politics that dictates their work. He should never see the outside of a prison again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Tork

Roger Waters has had strong political views for decades, so none of this should be a shock to anybody. He doesn't belong in the same bracket as Van Morrison, Ian Brown and Noel Gallagher who are throwing their toys out of their playpens just because they don't like the covid restrictions.

Pink Floyd's The Final Cut (1983) is effectively a Roger Waters solo album and the politics of the day are all over it. He namechecks loads of politicians of the day in the Fletcher Memorial Home (for Incurable Tyrants and Kings). One of them is Menachem Begin who would've been the Israeli prime minister at the time the song was being recorded. You can like or dislike his politics but he's consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Nothing wrong with supporting Palestine per se.

I wouldn't be too keen on Assange and he tends to draw support from an odd mixture of left and right wing extremists.

Waters has also tweeted some questionable stuff about Venezuela and the situation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Nothing wrong with supporting Palestine per se.

I wouldn't be too keen on Assange and he tends to draw support from an odd mixture of left and right wing extremists.

Waters has also tweeted some questionable stuff about Venezuela and the situation there.

Such as? I wouldn't be surprised if he falls into the "Cuba is a normal country" camp, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Interesting character.

He earned a reputation for being a bit of a tyrant back in the day. The other lads in Floyd were pretty much terrified of him by the latter half of the 70's, before eventually breaking free of him.

Massive control freak with a venomous temper by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Interesting character.

He earned a reputation for being a bit of a tyrant back in the day. The other lads in Floyd were pretty much terrified of him by the latter half of the 70's, before eventually breaking free of him.

Yeah, although in some interviews I seen he came across as self deprecating and possibly admitting h e was a bit of a d1ck (but not in an outright way).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I loved this rant from him a month ago when he condemned the attacks on Gaza, very much a plea for humanity than anything remotely anti-semitic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

He told Facebook to fcuk off? Fair play.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Is Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) stepping into Dark Side of the Force?
    He refused offer from Facebook to use his song in Instagram add. He also supports Julian Assange fight for freedom. Then instead of these news I see title in independent.ie: "Floyd song becomes anthem for Iran" ?:confused:

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/floyd-song-becomes-anthem-for-iran-26669309.html

Even if it is about fighting against Ayatollahs regime you can get wrong impression reading just article heading?

That blurred vision was 11 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Badly fukt wrote: »
    That blurred vision was 11 years ago
    My bad but I was tricked by Google search:
    https://i.postimg.cc/sf7kKdcQ/waters.png

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

My bad but I was tricked by Google search:
    https://i.postimg.cc/sf7kKdcQ/waters.png

Careful with that google search Eugene.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

Palestine, grand, work away.

Assange is a seditious so-and-so with a narcissistic God complex, who undermines the West and endangers the life of servicemen and women all over the World who have no influence on the politics that dictates their work. He should never see the outside of a prison again.

By exposing their war crimes, how very dare he. Pulled back the veil of respectability these "interventions" had draped across them by the compliant media in the UK and US. For which crime he has been targeted/neutered to complete silence in both countries. He might come across a bit odd due to being on the spectrum, but there again it probably takes some form of that to consider fighting against such implacable odds. A stain on the conscience of the "liberal" West, the whole affair will be viewed poorly by future generations.

• Advertisement

Well, history is of course written by the victors and between the entire Western establishment versus Julian Assange, Bradley Manning and Edward Snowden, I can only see one winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Always had a soft spot for Waters, His stuff is nearly always high quality. Seems to have a good deal of integrity, but lets be honest, the stuff he puts in his works has never been likely to harm his career, unlike Clapton saying something that the press has crucified him for and is still sticking by it.

Well, history is of course written by the victors and between the entire Western establishment versus Julian Assange, Bradley Manning and Edward Snowden, I can only see one winner.

This assumes the west will win.

Assange by the way is a journalist. Manning was involved in “sedition”, although a moral one. The treatment of Assange is reminiscent of a dictatorship and in fact if a whistleblower was treated like that in Russia he would be a cause celebre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I don't think Roger Water's political views should come as a shock to anybody. Aside from his very public stances on various issues, it's written all over his musical output for nigh on 50 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

"Picture a leader with no f*cking brains"
    Never truer lyrics written but there seems a lot of those leaders in the world right now.
    Think RW is channelling his anger in the correct way these days. Should have left the rest of Pink Floyd to it with the boring music they were producing and lyrics Gilmores wife was writing...
    Anyhow that's off topic but felt good..

mzungu wrote: »
    I don't think Roger Water's political views should come as a shock to anybody. Aside from his very public stances on various issues, it's written all over his musical output for nigh on 50 years at this stage.

Agree

Careful with that axe Eugene (could be about anything really, brooding, rage) especially the Ummagumma live version. 69

Us and Them. Brain Damage, Eclipse 73 (Self explanatory)

Welcome to the Machine / have a Cigar 75 (A rail against corporate record company officials)

Pigs (Three Different Ones) A verse dedicated to Mary Whitehouse, Sheep, Dogs 77 (Self explanatory)

The Wall 79 (Entire fecking album)

Final Cut 83 (As been discussed)

When the Wind Blows 1985 animated nuclear holocaust film (Film soundtrack) Waters was also heavily CND.

The Powers That Be, The tide is turning 87

Berlin Wall concert 1990

What God Wants 92

And much more, incredible artist.

Dad Rock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

Comfortably Numb and Echoes are my favourite. I don't think Roger played much of a part in those two apart from lyrics. It's the music that gets me.

Saw him in Dublin in May 2011. And I was impressed that he was still on the go then!

Comfortably Numb and Echoes are my favourite. I don't think Roger played much of a part in those two apart from lyrics. It's the music that gets me.

Saw him in Dublin in May 2011. And I was impressed that he was still on the go then!

Want to pay tribute to these wonderful lyrics:

"Overhead the albatross / Hangs motionless upon the air / And deep beneath the rolling waves / In labyrinths of coral caves / An echo of a distant time / Comes willowing across the sand / And everything is green and submarine."

• Advertisement

Want to pay tribute to these wonderful lyrics:

"Overhead the albatross / Hangs motionless upon the air / And deep beneath the rolling waves / In labyrinths of coral caves / An echo of a distant time / Comes willowing across the sand / And everything is green and submarine."

Was it not summery?

Advertisement