Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Rugby Championship announced, beginning September 2021

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The only downside of the new TV deal is that, presumably, the rights money going to the unions is absolute peanuts.

Meh, it's their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

ineedeuro wrote: »
    The Eir team was very good. A lot better than any of the other channels have done with the ProXX before.

The problem was not Eir sports but Eir as a company. They are awful to deal with and only people who have to will use their BB. That meant the user base was restricted not because the product was poor but because of the company reputation.

It would be good if they could take that team and put onto RTE, but I would expect RTE will try and push a load of their inhouse presenters who in the majority are awful

I have to disagree, never liked the huge amount of chatter from the commentary team, almost a history of every player, how nice their hair was, a constant reminder that we were watching a leinster reserves team, silence for the kicker was never observed and I could never hear what the ref had to say

Not as bad as Luke Fitz commentating Ireland V Italy, but they were getting there
    The only downside of the new TV deal is that, presumably, the rights money going to the unions is absolute peanuts.

I don't think it will be peanuts, and there is supersport in South Africa providing some money plus there's less time spent on hold to RTE when something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There it is...
    BBC wrote:
    The United Rugby Championship will need financial regulation in the future to compete with the best leagues in world sport, says its chief executive.

While the English Premiership and French Top 14 both have salary caps, the URC, formerly the Pro14, does not.

But Martin Anayi told BBC Sport that could change.

"If you look at any well run professional sport in the world it has a solid salary cap and cost base, and we don't," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Salary Cap definitely needed but there should be a minimum floor level instated as well... Some of the players playing for Southern Kings previously were making R25k a year, that's pretty much an invitation to poach players and completely devalues a team

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Salary Cap definitely needed but there should be a minimum floor level instated as well... Some of the players playing for Southern Kings previously were making R25k a year, that's pretty much an invitation to poach players and completely devalues a team

25k Rand. That's like 1500 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That figure was monthly and was before they joined the pro14.

Their last season they were spending R3 million a month on salaries for players.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cory Hill had left Wales camp to pursue an opportunity overseas. Apparently the wage cuts last year aren't being reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't think it will be peanuts, and there is supersport in South Africa providing some money plus there's less time spent on hold to RTE when something goes wrong

It's very unlikely RTÉ and TG4 are paying anything more than a token fee. The South African participation fee is reported to be €10 million per season, working out about 830k per team. That's money for nothing but it's still nothing compared to what the French and English get from TV.

It's very unlikely RTÉ and TG4 are paying anything more than a token fee. The South African participation fee is reported to be €10 million per season, working out about 830k per team. That's money for nothing but it's still nothing compared to what the French and English get from TV.

You can bet your house that the TV deal they are getting now is not what they wanted. The fact it's taking so long to work out who will show what is further indication that it has not been a straightforward sell.

But when you run your competition in such a half arsed way this is what can happen. Hopefully a lesson learnt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Introducing a salary cap in the URC will be an absolute nightmare to the point of impossibility due to the vastly different way all the contracts are structured.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.... And also single entities owning multiple clubs.

I'd view the future of the URC looking more like the super rugby system than the prem or top 14

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Introducing a salary cap in the URC will be an absolute nightmare to the point of impossibility due to the vastly different way all the contracts are structured.

Different currencies, different costs of living etc. It would be a tough one to agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

awec wrote: »
    You can bet your house that the TV deal they are getting now is not what they wanted. The fact it's taking so long to work out who will show what is further indication that it has not been a straightforward sell.

But when you run your competition in such a half arsed way this is what can happen. Hopefully a lesson learnt.

Tell the truth awec, will you ever admit to being happy with anything the league does?

I'm really not seeing what there is to be negative about here and yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

sydthebeat wrote: »
    .... And also single entities owning multiple clubs.

I'd view the future of the URC looking more like the super rugby system than the prem or top 14

I'm not aware of the super rugby system could you give a quick tldr of it?

b.gud wrote: »
    I'm not aware of the super rugby system could you give a quick tldr of it?

Well essentially all the NZ sides are part owned by NZRU and financed through a franchise system. Basically NZRU tendered out the running of the clubs (grounds, marketing etc) under license to the NZRU, with the licencees profiting from attendances and associated activities. The NZRU fund the contracts and travel, and get TV monies, sponsorship etc.

In Australia the system is similar though I'd imagine more finances is directed towards the licencee side due to the financial state of the ARU. Only the western force are fully privatised by a billionaire owner.

That's my understanding of the system from an outside view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Podge_irl wrote: »

But that's exactly the point that Anayi is making... That they'll need to think harder and look to other methods

Talk of a salary cap should be setting off alarm bells for Leinster and possibly Munster. I would imagine they comfortably have the biggest wage bills in the league, and can't imagine too many other teams would be affected by the introduction of one.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Talk of a salary cap should be setting off alarm bells for Leinster and possibly Munster. I would imagine they comfortably have the biggest wage bills in the league, and can't imagine too many other teams would be affected by the introduction of one.

I'm not sure.

Yes I'd imagine they have the most players on the biggest wages, but leinster have consistently promoted from within and have a very high frequency of academy / first contract type player playing 5 - 10 games per season. I'd also imagine that any salary cap will have a "marquee dispensation" similar to the prem which will allow for the likes of a. Sexton and Fardys wages per year.

Leinster could go a long way with a salary cap similar to the French. If a similar system was introduced here leinster could have a cap of €11 million plus 200k for members of the ireland squad (which would be, on average, about another €7 million going by the last RWC squad). Leinster could do a hell of a lot with a wage bill of even half that, minus the marquee players.

We know the wage level in Ireland isn't as high as france. ROG has said this in many occasions, and we know Zebo is taking a significant cut to go back to munster.

I can't see any situation where the IRFU will agree to a wage cap that equates to Irish teams being significantly hampered when it comes to European competition

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A salary cap by province is unworkable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Its and English paper talking about a Salary cap

How many times have the English tried to change Europe or other countries rugby to try win more games. Don't mind them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

How many times have the English tried to change Europe or other countries rugby to try win more games. Don't mind them

It's not just an English paper. The quotes are from the CEO of the ProXX/URC.

I'm not sure.

Yes I'd imagine they have the most players on the biggest wages, but leinster have consistently promoted from within and have a very high frequency of academy / first contract type player playing 5 - 10 games per season. I'd also imagine that any salary cap will have a "marquee dispensation" similar to the prem which will allow for the likes of a. Sexton and Fardys wages per year.

Leinster could go a long way with a salary cap similar to the French. If a similar system was introduced here leinster could have a cap of €11 million plus 200k for members of the ireland squad (which would be, on average, about another €7 million going by the last RWC squad). Leinster could do a hell of a lot with a wage bill of even half that, minus the marquee players.

We know the wage level in Ireland isn't as high as france. ROG has said this in many occasions, and we know Zebo is taking a significant cut to go back to munster.

I can't see any situation where the IRFU will agree to a wage cap that equates to Irish teams being significantly hampered when it comes to European competition

Not sure what the point of introducing a salary cap that doesn't affect the league's biggest spenders would be. Who would be affected then?

Martin Anayi who they're quoting talking about it is the CEO of the league

its martin anayi answering questions

and i think this is his most pertinent response
    "You need a system where you try and peg cost to revenue."

so essentially as long as IRFU are profitable and running well, they should fall within whatever parameters are set

Not sure what the point of introducing a salary cap that doesn't affect the league's biggest spenders would be. Who would be affected then?

its not about competitiveness, its about ensuring survival of clubs by not getting into major debt.

its not about competitiveness, its about ensuring survival of clubs by not getting into major debt.

Yes, but by limiting the spending of bigger clubs so that smaller ones aren't getting themselves into debt to compete with wages. Which clubs have been in danger of going under recently? Dragons? There's hardly going to be a salary cap imposed on them.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if it was kite flying from Anayi, wouldn't be the first time.

Yes, but by limiting the spending of bigger clubs so that smaller ones aren't getting themselves into debt to compete with wages. Which clubs have been in danger of going under recently? Dragons? There's hardly going to be a salary cap imposed on them.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if it was kite flying from Anayi, wouldn't be the first time.

thats why hes referring to setting it at a parameter of spend v revenue.
    its completely pointless limiting leinsters spending to dragons / zebre level.

setting it at a level which allows smaller clubs to grown sustainably is the key... but in doing so you are not restricting the spend of larger clubs if they have that sustainable model working already

But that's exactly the point that Anayi is making... That they'll need to think harder and look to other methods

That's not exactly the point he is making, he mentions "salary cap" multiple times.

Even linking revenue to costs is not going to help much in the provinces case (and its worth mentioning that in his US sports examples the salary cap is based on joint revenues and is very much the same for everyone - how does that work across currencies and geographies?). The provincial players, especially the ones on central contracts, are paid for Leinster and Ireland appearances together.

Tell the truth awec, will you ever admit to being happy with anything the league does?

I'm really not seeing what there is to be negative about here and yet...

This is my happy face.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no currency/country issue but the French system requires clubs to spend relative to their own budget. The salary allowances in ProD2 can be pretty huge even for a mid-table club (<>10 million) but can also be a pittance for the less well-off teams.

• Advertisement

There's no currency/country issue but the French system requires clubs to spend relative to their own budget. The salary allowances in ProD2 can be pretty huge even for a mid-table club (<>10 million) but can also be a pittance for the less well-off teams.

This is more of a financial fair play rule than any kind of salary cap in the sense of what is in the Premiership though.

Advertisement