Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KillianM2 Youtube channel is no more....

Options
  • 11-06-2021 6:54am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Saw this tweet a few minutes ago and was pretty disappointed, the channel was a great resource, loved the weird obscure gems from RTE, footage of the football panel and the old ad breaks, especially the rapid fire of freeze frames ads at the end of a break voiced by some serious auld lad, I'm sure he'll find some other place for it :(

https://twitter.com/KillianM2/status/1403097795758903298

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Saw this on twitter too.

He seemed to think it was coming, I wonder what the third strike was for, I'm guessing music used in an ad or clip was caught by an algorithm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I've never heard of it ! , what does he show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He seemed to have recorded every TV channel from back in the day and would post up videos of ad breaks, old shows, football matches etc. A shame it's gone, but probably inevitable. I'd say RTE got onto Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,183 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pity, enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

cj maxx wrote: »
    I've never heard of it ! , what does he show?

He'd copy VHS tapes and put them up online.
    He was always looking for donations of anysort of VHS that was recorded from back in the day.
    He seemed to have recorded every TV channel from back in the day and would post up videos of ad breaks, old shows, football matches etc. A shame it's gone, but probably inevitable. I'd say RTE got onto Youtube.
    I think he mentioned that RTE have been more than fair to him so he doesn't think it came from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

A shame, very enjoyable channel. A lot of archive tv that's not viewable otherwise particularly the RTE stuff. Hopefully he can host it on another platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Another example of why YouTube has gone to the dogs....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

dailymotion or vimeo is your only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

Youtube is really gone to **** lately between the intrusive adverts and copyright takedowns on channels. Not even video playlists titled "Music for babies to sleep to" are safe from the bull**** - my 7 month old had just nodded off the other night when Youtube (in all its logic), decided to interrupt the lullaby video and wake her with a ****ing 20 minute GAA podcast which somehow showed up as an advert???

If there was any realistic alternative to it I'd never use it again, and I'm saying that as someone that was there when it first launched.

One of those who brought a copyright strike was a country and western singer. Think I know who it is, not Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

razorblunt wrote: »
    Saw this on twitter too.

He seemed to think it was coming, I wonder what the third strike was for, I'm guessing music used in an ad or clip was caught by an algorithm

I think it might be more than just the automatic copyright scanning youTube does.

I've a video up there that happens to contain some scenes where reognisable music was playing on a stereo nearby to where the video was being recorded. So the songs aren't part of the video as such, but are audibly contained within it.

YouTube spotted this, and alerted me to it, but the only sanction is that the video isn't available for monetisation (it wouldn't make any money anyway). It doesn't count as a strike, and they didn't take the video down or restrict the audience or anything.

So I'd guess it was an active complaint that did it.

a ****ing 20 minute GAA podcast which somehow showed up as an advert???

The ads are ridiculous. Singers trying to launch songs by putting the full crappy son that no one wants to listen to, as an ad.

An "ad" I seen recently was a full orchestra banging away. I think the runtime was like an hour or something. Fcuk off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Another example of why YouTube has gone to the dogs....

It's f*cking ridiculous.

I'm a fan of the World War 2 strategy game Hearts of Iron IV. I follow a few Youtube channels as the game is quite complicated and the creators can't use words like "war", "Hitler", "fascist" or "suicide". In a strategy game about World War 2.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its a great platform but YT hate their creators, and YT algorithms will promote corporate content over individual. YT might want to become a big auld television station but thats not what their users want

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Damn, I loved his channel. I love people like him who are nerdy about something and probably know that they don't have mass appeal but are dedicated to that small number of like-minded individuals.

I don't get why it seemed inevitable that his channel would be deleted if he reached a certain amount of videos. Is it because he was more likely to run into rights issues the more videos he posted?

This is very interesting. He wrote it in response to somebody basically saying "Good riddance" because apparently he was stealing content. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/KillianM2/status/1403156252813938688?s=20

This is very interesting. He wrote it in response to somebody basically saying "Good riddance" because apparently he was stealing content. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/KillianM2/status/1403156252813938688?s=20

That was in response to a tweet, since taken down I think, by some radio DJ called Conka McBride (no, me neither)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It's f*cking ridiculous.

I'm a fan of the World War 2 strategy game Hearts of Iron IV. I follow a few Youtube channels as the game is quite complicated and the creators can't use words like "war", "Hitler", "fascist" or "suicide". In a strategy game about World War 2.

Anything to do with weapons is de-monetised isn't it?even stuff that's completely historical and could never be used for a nut jobs rampage

The word Montenegro gets flagged.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That was in response to a tweet, since taken down I think, by some radio DJ called Conka McBride (no, me neither)

Volunteer DJ on a community radio station, moaning about not having created content by uploading old TV clips when the 'content' on that type of station is, erm, talking between old songs. Pathetic.

Tweets still up though.

• Advertisement

The word Montenegro gets flagged.

SRSLY? Mad, Ted.

Google eventually manages to destroy every product they own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anything to do with weapons is de-monetised isn't it?even stuff that's completely historical and could never be used for a nut jobs rampage

Funny how big budget Hollywood films can still graphically depict the stuff on Youtube via clips and trailers but some Belgian lad makes a video about a WW2 strategy game and accidentally uses the word "War".

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That is absolutely incredible. We are never going to see that content again. I keep being reminded that I won't see any adverts if I pay google a monthly fee. Was sincerely thinking about paying, but they can whistle dixie now after that pathetic ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That is absolutely incredible. We are never going to see that content again. I keep being reminded that I won't see any adverts if I pay google a monthly fee. Was sincerely thinking about paying, but they can whistle dixie now after that pathetic ruling.

Install adblock for free, it works on the youtube ads as well (on a browser anyway)

retalivity wrote: »
    Install adblock for free, it works on the youtube ads as well (on a browser anyway)

Sponsor block as well. And on Android, YouTube Vanced which gets rid of ads and includes sponsor block.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

It has become a terrible user product now, but I just refuse to pay for it just in spite, they make a product worse and worse in order for you to pay for the better one, just a crap business model to me, but is there an alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Re: adverts on YouTube. As has been mentioned, just get an ad blocker for your browser. Firefox and Adblockplus works a treat. I haven't seen an advert on YouTube in years.

However, that won't help the decline of YouTube content in general. Their use of blunt force algorithms just stupidly target things that should otherwise be ok to broadcast. I don't think there's been a YouTuber I've watched that hasn't been hit by it and then had to go through the rigmarole of getting YouTube to reverse the "decision".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I genuinely liked his channel. Seeing all the old ads and other things was great. I've kids who were sick of the ads so I've paid for the premium version. In the UK they have Uktv gold and other tv stations that show old programming. At any point during the day you can see the likes of Bullseye, Only Fools And Horses and more. What's stopping RTE from doing similar?

Advertisement