Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to move and get a job

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Have a look at this OP.
    Advocacy for people with disabilities etc.
    https://advocacy.ie/our-work/

I have no experience of them but maybe they might have something of interest to you.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

When do driving lessons resume in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I searched Sites for jobs in Drogheda earlier but there was no warehouses or call centre jobs.

EDIT: I was using jobs.ie and I thought the jobs sites all
    Listed the same jobs. I weren’t to the two you mention and there are more

Not all roles will be listed specifically s warehouse or call center. As example flogas are currently looking for credit controller with low to med requirements in their call center. Also they advertise regularly for customer care roles.

Bord na mona/AES are the same there for call center roles.

There are many warehouse roles around and nearby in north dublin too that can be commuted to from drogheda.

Not all roles will be listed specifically s warehouse or call center. As example flogas are currently looking for credit controller with low to med requirements in their call center. Also they advertise regularly for customer care roles.

Bord na mona/AES are the same there for call center roles.

There are many warehouse roles around and nearby in north dublin too that can be commuted to from drogheda.

I was using call centre as meaning customer care, etc.

Thank you for suggesting Flogas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was using call centre as meaning customer care, etc.

Thank you for suggesting Flogas.

OP has said they don’t drive and don’t have access to a car. Working at minimum wage in a call centre and paying rent on a one bed flat/small townhouse would ve extremely stressful both from a financial point of view and a work stress pov.

Are cinemas hiring? Didn’t they just re-open? Similar salary to call centre or warehouse but a nicer environment and you’d probably get a discount on tickets. Also retail eg Lidl/Aldi is less stress than call centers and they have long term training pathways and a policy of training and promoting from within. Maybe you could work at one fulltime or in a supermarket while working on getting recruited and a career pathway going with Lidl/Aldi? Would have far better long term prospects and the possibility of bigger pay increases, flexibility in moving to different locations/counties or countries and far greater long term financial benefits.

If your parents are asking you for long term plans and the aprox. date you will be moving out by then there IS a situation brewing. You probably just havn’t realised it yet. Starting by being out of the house all day at work would be a good start - while saving money for a deposit to enable you to move out. You could give and ask a parent to hold a weekly amount for you towards this deposit so they see you are sincere and not blowing it all on films and popcorn while hanging around talking about moving and doing nothing to achieve it.

• Advertisement

OP has said they don’t drive and don’t have access to a car. Working at minimum wage in a call centre and paying rent on a one bed flat/small townhouse would ve extremely stressful both from a financial point of view and a work stress pov.

Are cinemas hiring? Didn’t they just re-open? Similar salary to call centre or warehouse but a nicer environment and you’d probably get a discount on tickets. Also retail eg Lidl/Aldi is less stress than call centers and they have long term training pathways and a policy of training and promoting from within. Maybe you could work at one fulltime or in a supermarket while working on getting recruited and a career pathway going with Lidl/Aldi? Would have far better long term prospects and the possibility of bigger pay increases, flexibility in moving to different locations/counties or countries and far greater long term financial benefits.

If your parents are asking you for long term plans and the aprox. date you will be moving out by then there IS a situation brewing. You probably just havn’t realised it yet. Starting by being out of the house all day at work would be a good start - while saving money for a deposit to enable you to move out. You could give and ask a parent to hold a weekly amount for you towards this deposit so they see you are sincere and not blowing it all on films and popcorn while hanging around talking about moving and doing nothing to achieve it.

Do you mean not having a car will add to to stress?

Thank you for suggesting cinema and retail jobs but those actually would cause me stress and my mental health issues would make doing those very difficult. As odd as it might sound the stress of call centre work could be good for me.

As I type though I am wondering if applying for retail/cinema if something I should try. Maybe once I’m in the job I can avoid the aspects that would cause me a problem by swapping tasks with others or just be honest in an interview?

There are no relatives involved. After the funeral I was in need of someplace to stay and people I knew gave me a flat temporarily. I made sure they understand that I couldn’t be allowed to stay indefinitely and that I would try to avoided having to move on with life but settling into a rut. As I said in my first post the pressure to leave isn’t a nasty pressure. I need such an ultimatum. It was sudden and a bit too aggressive but not intended that way.

There is however something going on with or between that couple in the last few days. I have a feeling I may need to depart much sooner than I thought. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You don’t seem to have any idea how dire the job market is atm. With countless redundancies even people who have not had a career break are struggling to find jobs. You will not be their first choice once any employer gets an inkling of you being potentially trouble in work (mental health issues incl).

No, you can’t specify which part of the job you can do and which has to be swapped with colleagues, it doesn’t work that way.

You need to send your cv to any recruitment agency you can find instead of only directly replying to individual jobs. And, as suggested several times, get professional advice on employment and career options. Your expectations are unrealistic and an interviewer will see through your attempts to make light of your MH issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I’m not sure if I am posting in the correct section but it didn’t seem appropriate for Work & Jobs.

I have been out of work for five years. At first it was four to mental health issues but it put in in the right place to look after someone who needed a carer.

He has passed away now and I need to get my own place. I am being put under pressure to move - not nasty pressure, just “can you give me a date you plan to leave so we can have our house back” kind of thing :)

I want to go to Dublin - both as someplace new and I can get the help I need to deal with my mental health.

I also need to get a job so I can pay rent. I don’t know what kind of job I will be able for at first but I have applied for both call centre and warehouse jobs.

Does it make more sense to get a place to live first or should I have a job before applying for a flat?

As you say you have 4 years experience as a caregiver possibly that would be an obvious choice as a starter job in Dublin. Places like Stewart’s hospital, nua healthcare, bluebird etc are usually looking for staff. If you get an offer you can then look for a house share close by. Over time you could get a better job, your own place etc. Might be worth looking into. The best of luck with your future, all things are possible.

Just to add, all the doom and gloom replies are not helpful to you at this point, people should know better. A persistent positive attitude will get you what you need, with a bit of luck thrown in:).

Jequ0n wrote: »
    You don’t seem to have any idea how dire the job market is atm. With countless redundancies even people who have not had a career break are struggling to find jobs. You will not be their first choice once any employer gets an inkling of you being potentially trouble in work (mental health issues incl).

No, you can’t specify which part of the job you can do and which has to be swapped with colleagues, it doesn’t work that way.

You need to send your cv to any recruitment agency you can find instead of only directly replying to individual jobs. And, as suggested several times, get professional advice on employment and career options. Your expectations are unrealistic and an interviewer will see through your attempts to make light of your MH issues

Please read what I actually posted.

As you say you have 4 years experience as a caregiver possibly that would be an obvious choice as a starter job in Dublin. Places like Stewart’s hospital, nua healthcare, bluebird etc are usually looking for staff. If you get an offer you can then look for a house share close by. Over time you could get a better job, your own place etc. Might be worth looking into. The best of luck with your future, all things are possible.

It is not something I could do again. And not for strangers.

I was able to to do it for someone I cared about because it had to be done and I couldn’t afford to get upset or anything like that and I got used to it.

It isn’t that I wouldn’t care about a stranger, but I just couldn’t do it as a job.
    Just to add, all the doom and gloom replies are not helpful to you at this point, people should know better. A persistent positive attitude will get you what you need, with a bit of luck thrown in:).

Thank you. Most people are not being negative to be negative but being realistic (which I need) but as always there are those who just go doom and gloom.

I try to ignore but sometimes I cannot resist responding. It wouldn’t be so bad if they actually read the posts and then cried doom instead of making stuff up.

• Advertisement

Please read what I actually posted.

I have read all of your posts and am puzzled at your belief that you can just find a job easily and move into anything else but a house share. You also don’t seem to realise how quickly you could become homeless if the owners of your flat really want you out.

It is frankly astonishing that you think an employer will hire you over candidates that can do every part of the job spec just because you outline your limitations outright during the interview.

But go ahead, only read the stuff you want to listen to and enjoy your crash.

I have read all of your posts and am puzzled at your belief that you can just find a job easily and move into anything else but a house share. You also don’t seem to realise how quickly you could become homeless if the owners of your flat really want you out.

It is frankly astonishing that you think an employer will hire you over candidates that can do every part of the job spec just because you say it outright during the interview.

But go ahead, only read the stuff you want to listen to and enjoy your crash.

If you have read then how come you haven’t understood any of them?

And I have got personal with you about of this but wow - what a lovely person you are hoping I “crash”. I am very fortunate that I don’t actually know anybody like you.

If you have read then how come you haven’t understood any of them?

And I have got personal with you about of this but wow - what a lovely person you are hoping I “crash”. I am very fortunate that I don’t actually know anybody like you.

I didn’t say I hoped for you to crash. You will though if you keep ignoring the advice people have given you. But it’s your choice, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The reality OP is that the sector you are looking at will not fund the accommodation you're seeking. So you need to see where you can compromise.

I agree with others in that you're not likely to need to see the consultant so frequently that it justifies renting in Dublin.

Remote working is here to stay, a former colleague of mine is working for an Irish organisation from Central America. No need to base yourself in Dublin at all.

Caranica wrote: »
    The reality OP is that the sector you are looking at will not fund the accommodation you're seeking. So you need to see where you can compromise.

I agree with others in that you're not likely to need to see the consultant so frequently that it justifies renting in Dublin.

Remote working is here to stay, a former colleague of mine is working for an Irish organisation from Central America. No need to base yourself in Dublin at all.

There is more to wanting to move to Dublin (or close to it) than the doctor.

Work from home is something that is not good for me long term. I would love it because I wouldn’t have to leave the house for anything - and that is not healthy and will eventually result in something bad. I need a job that gets me out and to be near the doctor to help with that. And to be able to go to cinema, eat, etc.

I can’t do that here.

And I am taking onboard all the genuine advice regarding jobs, costs, etc. - it is good that I got advice that I wasn’t being think Ming some stuff through.

However the typical negative types turned out for this. Regardless of Jequ0n said in that last post he is clearly someone who enjoys tripping people up and gets out out of other’s falling. This has put me off continuing the thread - but the as I said the genuine advice was welcome and appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dire? All I'm seeing is places looking for staff. Not sure what jobs you are looking at but the jobs market is most certainly not dire in Ireland. That is a fabrication.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

listermint wrote: »
    Dire? All I'm seeing is places looking for staff. Not sure what jobs you are looking at but the jobs market is most certainly not dire in Ireland. That is a fabrication.

As someone who was out of work for 53 weeks I can confirm that the jobs market is a lot stronger now than it was even a few months ago, but it's not long since it was "dire". The problem I'm seeing though is low salaries, and this might be an issue for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

OP - I genuinely wish you all the best but I really don’t think that you are taking onboard anything that people are saying to you. Simple bottom line is that working in a minimum wage job in Dublin or it’s surrounds will not earn you enough money to pay rent and bills in a place on your own. That is even assuming that you can find a job and a place to live neither of which is guaranteed.

C3PO wrote: »
    OP - I genuinely wish you all the best but I really don’t think that you are taking onboard anything that people are saying to you. Simple bottom line is that working in a minimum wage job in Dublin or it’s surrounds will not earn you enough money to pay rent and bills in a place on your own. That is even assuming that you can find a job and a place to live neither of which is guaranteed.

Can you please explain why you believe I haven’t taken the advice on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Op
    Everyone will have their own opinion. Some you may agree with, some you won't. That's the way things are. Listening to opposing arguments is good. It can mean that you may be able to see more angles than originally thought.

Living in Dublin is expensive as I'm sure you appreciate. Finding work that you will be able to do and enjoy will take effort. So I wish you the best. Good luck

• Advertisement

Op
    Everyone will have their own opinion. Some you may agree with, some you won't. That's the way things are. Listening to opposing arguments is good. It can mean that you may be able to see more angles than originally thought.

Living in Dublin is expensive as I'm sure you appreciate. Finding work that you will be able to do and enjoy will take effort. So I wish you the best. Good luck

Thank you.

You thanked that previous post. Perhaps you can explain why the guy thinks I wasn’t listening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Well maybe it doesn’t “have to be” but at this point I can’t imagine any other doctor helping me.

You need to be in Dublin because your doctor is there and to see new movies?
    Are you willing to pay twice or three times your rent (If you can find a place) for this privilege?
    How often would you see the doctor? It doesn't make sense to move to Dublin for these reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RebeccaK21

OP, I think you have built Dublin up in your head too much, as a complete solution to all your problems, and I think you're putting too much weight on some things, like maybe better social options and your doctor, as validation for making this choice. I would advise working out what your likely earnings are going to be, and then looking on Daft to see what is available at that price point. Be aware that electricity, gas, tv, internet etc is all extra. Then you'll be able to see if this is a realistic move from a practical standpoint, many commenters here think it isn't, and I would agree with them. If a minimum wage job is what you're after, I think you'll find that your quality of life in Dublin won't be very good. I'm saying that as someone on minimum wage, living in a house share. Not a hope would I ever consider living on my own, the way I live now is barely sustainable.
    I don't think you need to move to Dublin to get the fresh start that you want. Why not try a smaller city even, Dublin will still be here when you're in a more financially stable position, and can afford to move.

Here we go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RebeccaK21

Here we go again.

I'm not sure if this is a response to my post or not. I just thought my perspective on the situation might be helpful to share with you, given that my financial position is similar to yours. Commenters here are only trying to be helpful. I'm sorry if I've offended you in some way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

Need a username, people are taking time out of their day to help you with your issue. Only you can decide whether or not it is relevant to you, but it is being posted with the best of intentions.

I really can't see how the thread can be of any benefit to you at this stage and I think it's gone as far as it can and with that in mind I'm going to close it here and wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Thanks everyone who took time to offer help and advice.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement