Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English cricketer suspended over tweets written as teenager

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you think making "slanty eyes" jokes about Asian people is a relatively small thing, you're part of the problem.

It's hardly crime of the century though, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Suppose we better lock up anyone that's told a paddy Irishman joke so

Gatling wrote: »

*nervously eyes "One-Liner Jokes" thread*

They are circling around Eoin Morgan now.
    Who would have guessed, being Irish and all that.
    He appended "Sir" to a few tweets from 5 years ago, and it is apparently racist to use "Sir" in a tweet as of 2021.

Do they care about this in India, or is it all English PC.

Edit:

So in all his numerous tweets Eoin Morgan once said sir at the end of a sentence to a fellow ( non Indian) player. Both of them play in the Indian league. Unlike the other guy he was famous when he said it and he has plenty of Indian fans. Nobody cared back then.

Gatling wrote: »

Naw, you got white privilege innit, mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was gently mocking the courteousness of the Indians.

Similar to using "shure and begorrah" when recounting an Oirish joke.
    What kind of jokes are you listening to at all, at all? We use sure all the time so not much mocking there.
    Recanting teenage stupidity is like being in confession these days. You will be forgiven and be a purer person afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

They are circling around Eoin Morgan now.
    Who would have guessed, being Irish and all that.
    He appended "Sir" to a few tweets from 5 years ago, and it is apparently racist to use "Sir" in a tweet as of 2021.

Or as he will soon be known in the English media, "former Irish international Eoin Morgan..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Or as he will soon be known in the English media, "former Irish international Eoin Morgan..."

I can just imagine the small-talk at a Tory cabinet meeting. "What's an Irishman doing playing for England anyway Boris?.... You have a point there Moggie!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

We really are building an extremely sensitive culture.
    I object to the characterisation of our culture as being extremely sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thestinge

I was of the same opinion, thought it was a storm in a teacup, but one of the big ones, which hasn't been included in the article above, is:

"I wonder if Asian people write emojis like this ¦-) "

Completely unacceptable, no matter how old he is/was.

Your post is surely sarcastic? I'm going to assume it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Buttler and Morgan’s tweets below: Storm in a teacup. They probably shouldn't have tweeted them but they are harmless enough and are impressions of Indian accents/manner of speaking.

I've had similar abroad mocking my Irish accent, I wasn't one bit offended. Looks like people are out to be offended on other people's behalf

"As reported by The Telegraph (London), the ECB is investigating the past tweets from Buttler and Morgan that appeared to have mimicked Indians by tweeting using “Sir”. As per the screenshots, on 09/08/2017, Buttler wrote on Twitter, replying to @AlexHales1, @TrentBridge and @BrettAH26: “Well done on double 100 much beauty batting you are on fire sir”. It was followed by: “I always reply sir no1 else like me like u”. On May 13, 2018 Morgan wrote: “Sir you’re my favourite batsman @josbuttler”;. McCullum quoted that tweet with a post: “@josbuttler Sir, you play very good Opening batting.” "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

is_that_so wrote: »

What kind of jokes are you listening to at all, at all?

We use sure all the time so not much mocking there.

Faith and begorrah I'll have to stop watching my old Val Doonican tapes - it's time to get hip by switching to Brendan Grace and Maureen Potter!

(I'll sure miss Delaney's Donkey.)

What did Jackson say?

"Not guilty".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I was of the same opinion, thought it was a storm in a teacup, but one of the big ones, which hasn't been included in the article above, is:

"I wonder if Asian people write emojis like this ¦-) "

Completely unacceptable, no matter how old he is/was.

Sooo, the guy is 27, I dont know the guy or follow cricket or much thats reported on for these reasons, just ridiculous levels of ridiculous, but the comments he made as a teenager have to be at least 8 years old,
    They mostly looked like stupid immature stuff, people change over time,
    But Id hardly find them signficantly offensive, as for the slanty eye'd emoji, not particularily nice, bit stupid, but racist??
    I'd be inclined to say its ignorant and stupid as an immature young person can be,

Pretty much like your example, not serious enough to justify having his head on a pike really, plus he's older now and apologised, recognises as an adult that it was stupid and wrong.
    I consider myself a reasonable person and do not like hearing people insulting others.
    but I find the culture of today influenced by social media where people hop on the bandwagon and basically knife other peoples character much nastier and more sinister than anything said here, wrong speak, wrong think next?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The worst thing about all of this, is that the people who lead these hunts against others, are incredibly sad individuals, with little going on in their lives. They are usually not mentally well, and often deeply insecure and spiteful. The types of people who get a great kick of out taking anyone down, purely to satisfy themselves. These people should be the last people in society with power, yet they have much of it.

See Linda Hayden earlier this year, and previously relentlessly obssesed withPaddy jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

iptba wrote: »
    The Culture Secretary (Oliver Dowden) suggested it was ‘over the top’ for England to ban the seamer for tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013.

Well said the culture secretary ✓
    Two things, the accused was s teenager at the time, also 'the tweet' was eight or nine years ago!

Leave the fella alone I say. We've all done and said stupid things when we were younger.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He has not been "banned". He is suspended from international cricket pending an investigation. There is no presumption of any "guilt" at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Who really gives a shyte.

Beasty wrote: »
    He has not been "banned". He is suspended from international cricket pending an investigation. There is no presumption of any "guilt" at this stage.

He's been withdrawn (dropped) from some matches so that, in effect, is a ban before he has been found guilty of anything.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Who really gives a shyte.

I give a shyte because I think there's too much of a rush to demonize someone who makes an inappropriate joke or comment years ago when they were a teen and trying to cause them shyte now.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/57432180

England bowler Ollie Robinson will miss Sussex's first two T20 Blast games as he takes a "short break" from cricket.

The 27-year-old seamer was suspended from international cricket on Sunday after racist and sexist tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013 were shared online.

He will miss Sussex's matches against Gloucestershire and Hampshire on Friday and Saturday respectively.

There is currently no indication when he will play again.

"After a difficult week, Ollie has decided to take a short break from the game to spend time with his young family," read a Sussex statement.

"We remain in close contact with Ollie from a welfare perspective and will issue further updates on his availability at the relevant times."

After the Test, he was suspended pending an investigation by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and ruled out of the second Test, which began on Thursday.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

BattleCorp wrote: »
    He's been withdrawn (dropped) from some matches so that, in effect, is a ban before he has been found guilty of anything.
    Standard practice across employments in the "public eye" like this is to suspend pending an investigation. He has been found guilty of nothing at this stage.

Having said that he's not denying anything. However the ecb have to go through a formal process and indeed establish if any of their own rules have been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

>not denying anything

As if that is the issue, as if theres anything to apologise for here. Its ridiculous, utterly ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Aurelian

is_that_so wrote: »
    What kind of jokes are you listening to at all, at all? We use sure all the time so not much mocking there.
    Recanting teenage stupidity is like being in confession these days. You will be forgiven and be a purer person afterwards.

Is that not the big problem with all if this, you are not forgiven. Nobody wants to hear an apology. You are not allowed see the error of your ways, recant and be forgiven. These stuff ends your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

18 19 and 20 when the post were made, while 18 and 19 are technically teenage they aren't what people mean they mean >17

he was technically a man when the tweets were made with the right to vote and to drink.

I dont care one way ore the other i just don't think he was a teenager is an excuse.
    is its harmless joking an excuse ? i dont know.

And to think some people don't think cancel culture exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

That's what gets me. I'm not defending his tweets. But I just can't get over the image of people's twitter accounts being dredged for anything scandalous. It's really sad. There was a time when telling on people wasn't respected. Now, running to teacher is apparently fine.

Pity he hadn't thought of dredging his twitter himself and removing the tweets before anyone found them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

Hhhhh wrote: »

If cancel culture existed why is Kevin nonce Spacey getting roles again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Hhhhh wrote: »

Cancel Culture is just a name given to something that's been happening as long as humans have been around by cúnts to gain sympathy from dubmer cúnts and give them a Goldberg to hiss at. People getting reprimanded for stupid shít isn't new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Be conscious of what you right today because it may not be politically correct tomorrow.

Such a joke really these woke *****.

Advertisement