Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julie Burchill

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't care if she is fired or not but how can this be considered funny. It's just a bit bitter and sad.

If somebody finds it funny, then it's a joke. I think it's weak but some people apparently liked it. And saying what can and can't be joked about is a path I don't want us to go down. If that means bad taste jokes, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Your quotes are messed up!

I know! I have no idea how to correct a post when that happens :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is a glorious development in my day. The daft bint that she is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

She cheered me up plenty of times back in 90's when she was having a running spat with Toby Young.

That was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If somebody finds it funny, then it's a joke. I think it's weak but some people apparently liked it. And saying what can and can't be joked about is a path I don't want us to go down. If that means bad taste jokes, so be it.

I didn't say it can't be 'joked' about, I said I don't think much of someone's sense of humour if they find this funny. To me she comes across just as a bit of a saddo. It's childish and as someone said dull.

Don't conflate criticism of poor humor for wanting to silence someone's. As far as I'm concerned she can spout as much of her humour as she wants. I won't be following her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Julie Burchill is a washed up columnist who used to be a name in rock journalism but for the past 20 or so years had degenerated into a glorified troll. She writes things these days just to get a reaction, but it’s so crass and poor.

Seriously Julie, Katie Hopkins does it so much better. You are a spent force and a total irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think it's more to do with the current climate with regards to race, to be honest.

Well, no, even that is subjective. Some people will find it boring whilst others will find it funny.

True, but then some people find anything funny just becuse it's provoatie or "edgy". That doesn't do it on it's own.

There's no wit, or observation, no satire here - nothing. The same joke could be todl about any race or mixed-race brith. It's just, "I'm going to tell a racist-y anti-wokey about the royals!".

I agree with you that no subect should be off-limits, but there should at least be some effort put into it, you it looks like pathetic trolling.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Dan Dare wrote: »
    A ghastly person, a decent writer in the NME back in the day,but there always was an anti Irish bigotry there. I detest her.

Yeah, it actually amazes me how horrible some people can be. She just seems absolutely consumed with hate and twisted by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Surprised Angeus Fanning never took her on in the Sindo back in the day. Shed have fitted right in with that other Irish hating cnunt Mary Ellen Synon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I've no idea who she is and she might be the greatest cnut that ever walked the planet for all I care but someone shouldn't lose their job (livelihood) because of a sh1te joke that may be in bad taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've no idea who she is and she might be the greatest cnut that ever walked the planet for all I care but someone shouldn't lose their job (livelihood) because of a sh1te joke that may be in bad taste.

Only a few weeks since she libelled a fellow journalist and had to pay substantial damages so it's likely a build up of things rather than one desperate "joke" i would think. Why would any even half respectable publication want to stay associated with someone that toxic? She still has the spectator anyway and maybe regular gigs on gb news to fight the good fight against all this terrible wokeness taking over the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Only a few weeks since she libelled a fellow journalist and had to pay substantial damages so it's likely a build up of things rather than one desperate "joke" i would think. Why would any even half respectable publication want to stay associated with someone that toxic? She still has the spectator anyway and maybe regular gigs on gb news to fight the good fight against all this terrible wokeness taking over the planet.

Pity she can't get a time machine to bring her back to the 90s, where she can go back to being an edgy enfant (plus) terrible.

Honestly, I never liked her. She always came across as malicious and self obsessed, but I do think she's lost the plot somewhat since her son died. It's quite tragic, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Pity she can't get a time machine to bring her back to the 90s, where she can go back to being an edgy enfant (plus) terrible.

Honestly, I never liked her. She always came across as malicious and self obsessed, but I do think she's lost the plot somewhat since her son died. It's quite tragic, really.

The son she had with Tony Parsons and then abandoned? I didn't know that he died, how awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The son she had with Tony Parsons and then abandoned? I didn't know that he died, how awful.

I don't know who his father was. Poor lad developed a catastrophic addiction to skunk and ultimately took his own life, I believe. Whether he started using as a way to self medicate mental health issues, or the drug caused them or if it was a bit of both, I don't know. I remember reading a piece she wrote about it and it was extremely uncomfortable reading. I'm surprised it was published at all. She was clearly out of her mind with grief at the time of writing and was basically saying 'I know I was a coked up, sh1t mother, but it's not my fault' when she clearly felt it was. I'm not saying it was her fault, by the way,, just that it was clearly written at a time when she was working through her grief and it was private, rumination type stuff. Very poor editorial choice to allow it to go to print. Anyway, I think she's been disintegrating since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

No. Not the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Earthhorse wrote: »
    No. Not the same person.

Great to read that, many thanks.

Why do people get upset about other people saying they hate us Irish ?
    Because people tend to dislike bigotry towards their own? Weird to ask that when you know the answer, although some Irish people do have quite an inferiority complex.
    People in this country have no problem saying how much they hate the English, or "the Brits", and others applaude them for it.

But if someone comes out and says they hate the Irish people are up on their high horse about bigotry etc.
    Well firstly, not all of those are the same people - although there certainly are some eejits who think both things, but then there are the rest of us who find bigotry against people of either nationality to be objectionable.
    Everyone has the right to hate whoever they want.
    They sure do. And if they voice it, others have the right to dispute them, expecially in the case of Burchill who equated the Irish to child abusers and nazis. How on earth can you defend or downplay that? It's not just hating, it's lying (yes obviously there are child abusers, which doesn't make "the Irish" - children n' all - child abusers, she has proudly broadcasted about her lack of giving a sh1t about children anyway; and nazi sympathisers, wtf?) Seems like you're just trying to look edgy. Plus there is all the other vile stuff she said - about lesbians (but then she ended up with a woman) and overweight people... despite ballooning herself. And also her rotten attitude to her children, and blasé attitude towards having multiple abortions. Oh and the whole "middle-class people are the devil" thing despite living in a mansion in Brighton. A hypocritical, arrogant narcissist who jumps on every contrarian bandwagon for attention. One who pretends to be a feminist when it suits but has been utterly unsisterly. And a man-hater who justified walking out on her children by claiming that men would be celebrated for same (eh, no they wouldn't).

Although she has demonstrated some humanity in the remorse she showed regarding the death of her son, but she was always vile - long before then.

Advertisement