Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julie Burchill

Options
  • 08-06-2021 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Just been sacked from the Daily Telegraph for her tweet on Meghan and Harrys new baby. Career probably over (hopefully).

60bf25900f257.PNG

I'm only bringing this up because her previous writings about us (which there are numerous of).
    In 2002 she narrowly escaped prosecution for incitement to racial hatred, "following a Guardian column where she described Ireland as being synonymous with child molestation, Nazi-sympathising, and the oppression of women".[14] Burchill had expressed anti-Irish sentiment several times throughout her career, announcing in the London journal Time Out that "I hate the Irish, I think they're appalling".[30]

Oh well. Good riddance then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just been sacked from the Daily Telegraph for her tweet on Meghan and Harrys new baby. Career probably over (hopefully).

60bf25900f257.PNG

I'm only bringing this up because her previous writings about us (which there are numerous of).

Oh well. Good riddance then.

Woke thread ---->

:)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭POBox19

"@BoozeAndFagz" says enough about that old bag.

A cut-price Katie Hopkins. These cretins thrive on the oxygen of publicity, deny them a platform and they wither away.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It is funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Can someone explain the joke because I don’t get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Smee_Again wrote: »

There's not much worth getting, but basically she's joking they should have named their daughter after George Floyd (whose death sparked the Black Lives Matter protests last year), since they're so "woke" and Meghan's half black.

Smee_Again wrote: »

They actually called the kid George Floyd but it's a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Too racist for even the Telegraph....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

She should have known she’d get the old heave ho once she made a joke at Megan’s expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Meh. Some stupid person hates Irish people.oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

No room for humour ( good or bad ) these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No room for humour ( good or bad ) these days.

The thing about humour is that there's a difference between bad humour and humour that's just plain boring. THis is the later.

You get the impression she was staying up all noght working on that one and that was the best she could do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

A ghastly person, a decent writer in the NME back in the day,but there always was an anti Irish bigotry there. I detest her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sounds like a troll to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Shes been at this kind of thing for years. I picked up some old copies of the Face magazine from the early 80s in a charity shop and there was a rabidiy anti Irish piece by her in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Tork

Is that *really* any worse than the rest of what the Daily Mail publishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why do people get upset about other people saying they hate us Irish ?

People in this country have no problem saying how much they hate the English, or "the Brits", and others applaude them for it.

But if someone comes out and says they hate the Irish people are up on their high horse about bigotry etc.

Everyone has the right to hate whoever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

She should have known she’d get the old heave ho once she made a joke at Megan’s expense.

I think it's more to do with the current climate with regards to race, to be honest.
    The thing about humour is that there's a difference between bad humour and humour that's just plain boring. THis is the later.

You get the impression she was staying up all noght working on that one and that was the best she could do.

Well, no, even that is subjective. Some people will find it boring whilst others will find it funny.

I think it's more to do with the current climate with regards to race, to be honest.

Could be alright but look at what happened to Piers Morgan when Meghan complained about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

No loss. That she got any work at all is a mystery, although she's an even worse human being than she is a writer. Read all about how she revels in being an awful mother, for instance.

Absolute c**t of the highest order.

• Advertisement

Could be alright but look at what happened to Piers Morgan when Meghan complained about him.

You defending Piers Morgan?? Lol

She has never once mentioned him, yet he has waged a hate campaign against her for years because he never got an invite to her wedding, having met her once. That phone-hacking sh*tstain should be up for harassment , never mind quitting some crappy Morning show of his own volition after humiliating himself by walking off the set in a huff after the weatherman called him out for being a nasty pr*ck.

A victim he is not, no matter how he likes to bang on to Tucker fu**ing Carlson about how he was 'cancelled'. The idiot.

*Rant over*

She has never once mentioned him, yet he has waged a hate campaign against her for years because he never got an invite to her wedding, having met her once. That phone-hacking sh*tstain should be up for harassment , never mind quitting some crappy Morning show of his own volition after humiliating himself by walking off the set in a huff after the weatherman called him out for being a nasty pr*ck.

A victim he is not, no matter how he likes to bang on to Tucker fu**ing Carlson about how he was 'cancelled'. The idiot.

I’m not defending Piers Morgan. I know Meghan did make a complaint about him and he ended up without a job. He has said he doesn’t believe anything she says as is his right. I couldn’t care less what goes on between them they are both as bad as each other. There is such a thing as free speech too. We don’t all have to agree all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I’m not defending Piers Morgan. I know Meghan did make a complaint about him and he ended up without a job. He has said he doesn’t believe anything she says as is his right. I couldn’t care less what goes on between them they are both as bad as each other. There is such a thing as free speech too. We don’t all have to agree all the time.

You really need to read up on what free speech is.

I always see people on a certain side going on about free speech and complaining when some arse like Piers Morgan get's the sack, but him getting sacked has nothing to do with free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't care if she is fired or not but how can this be considered funny. It's just a bit bitter and sad.

Sonics2k wrote: »

I always see people on a certain side going on about free speech and complaining when some arse like Piers Morgan get's the sack, but him getting sacked has nothing to do with free speech.

I am not complaining Piers Morgan lost his job. I don’t care what he does or where he works. What I did say was he said on air he didn’t believe things Meghan said in her interview. She made a complaint and he ended up leaving his job. I don’t know if he was sacked or if he left from his own accord but there was a huge fuss. I don’t think he broke any free speech laws by doing this.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Exactly. 'Journos' like Morgan and Burchill are nothing more than hate spreading trolls. They crave and seek out negative attention and then cry foul when anyone calls them on it, citing "But...but...free speech!"

By the way, Piers quit, he wasn't sacked. Doesn't fit his victim narrative, but it's the truth. The one and only time he was sacked was when he published faked photos of British soldiers torturing Iraqi soldiers when he was editor of the Daily Mirror. He is a bottom feeder of epic proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dan Dare wrote: »
    A ghastly person, a decent writer in the NME back in the day,but there always was an anti Irish bigotry there. I detest her.

I never thought she was a good writer at any time, could and can turn a decent sentence or two perhaps, but far too full of preening self regard and posturing to ever have been a good critic. Herself, Parsons, Morley and their ilk, all deemed themselves as important as the bands they were writing about, pompous windbags bloviating enough hot air to power a small city between them. At least Parsons and Morley didn't turn out to be right wing racist nutjobs, i suppose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A cut-price Katie Hopkins. These cretins thrive on the oxygen of publicity, deny them a platform and they wither away.
    That grief vampire is back

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

*Rant over*

Your quotes are messed up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Anything she ever wrote had herself as the subject, no matter what the topic.

Advertisement