Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Vaccine effectiveness antibody test

• 08-06-2021 12:03am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭ delly

I have a family member who falls into the immunosuppressed category and wants to get an antibody test once fully vaccinated. I know that antibodies are only one part of measuring the vaccine, but waned to know if anybody has taken these type of tests and how are they reported?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭ SmartinMartin

I had an antibodies test last week. It's a blood test. They measure the antibodies in units per ml. The readable range is from 4 u/ml to 2500 u/ml. Mine was 2500. The higher the better. I've had covid and a first vaccine shot, so I was expecting it to be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ Unicorn Milk Latte

When you want to do an antibody test to determine the effectiveness of the vaccination, it's important to tell the lab that this is your intention.

After a Coronavirus infection, there are antibodies against the spike protein, and antibodies against the nucleocapsid.

After a Coronavirus vaccination, there are antibodies against the spike protein.

Meaning, if a lab does an antibody test for the nucleocapsid, it may come out negative, even if the vaccination successfully produced antibodies.

Source link (German).

Advertisement