Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on Category N cars?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather be up front in the advert to not waste anyones time and more importantly to have a conscience.

I have no issies with a Cat D car once it's been light damage and repaired correctly, as is the case with this Ka+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Hi guys would anyone have any experience in insuring a Cat N car from the UK. Anybody have any experience and specific insurance companies that will insure them. PM me if you can't name them on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

From my experience all Insurance companies insure them! There's probably more cars on the road that have been repaired at some point than have not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Good luck with that. You're under no obligation to disclose previous repairs made to a car you're selling unless specifically asked, conscience doesn't come into if vehicle has been properly repaired. Vehicles can have very minor damage and still be written off - the insurer makes the decision based on the total cost of the claim and the vehicle damage may be only a minor part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I bought a Cat N car last year. Only damage done was the bumper and headlight cracked. Funnily enough, a couple of months after I bought the car, someone drove into the side of me and definitely did more damage than than what it got wrote off for in the UK.

I'm not worried about this because I don't plan on selling this car but it does make me wonder why is it okay that I can find records for a relatively small accident in the UK, yet for the worse accident that happened here, there's nothing on record at all.

Did your insurance company payout for the damage? Did you tell the insurance company it was a Cat N when you took it out.

I got a quote from Axa Insurance for my Cat N but they are looking for a roadworthy cert/doc saying it is ok. Can anybody suggest where I can get one of theses and your experiences with getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Claimed off of the driver who was at fault, yup. I didn't tell them about Cat N.

Yeah looks like I will have to go with Engineers report. I did mention nct, but they said no that it doesn't check that kind of thing. The car is only 2 years old so don't have nct yet.

Anybody have any suggestions of where I could bring the car for Engineers report.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Ah grand so. I didn't tell my insurance for the past 2 years that the car was a Cat N. They never asked and it is not in any of the assumptions. But this year I received an email stating that I was refused a renewal quote because my car has shown on the system that it is "beyond economic repair"

So now I am looking elsewhere and telling them it is Cat N. In the mean time I have asked my insurance for more information and clarity on the change of stance.

Advertisement