Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

2smiggy wrote: »
    I know, that's why very happy to have it sold. Held out other years and having to draw it all in and store it, and selling it bit by bit over the winter and after is not worth the effort

Best thing about hay is it can last for 2-3 years and is always useful
    I wouldn’t be getting rid of it easily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

2smiggy wrote: »
    got everything finished yesterday thankfully. about 600 bales off 50 acres. 3/4 already sold and gone off the fields

What’s it making out of the field if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mitchells33

Dunedin wrote: »
    What’s it making out of the field if you don’t mind me asking?

Sold rounds for €30 a bale out of the field in Waterford. €3.50 for squares

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

going by donedeal the average they are looking for is €25 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Turning mine again now.
    No sun yet but its trying its best o break through the clouds at moment.
    It's do or die today as doubt b any sun tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Baled my bit yesterday evening, mowed last Saturday morning. Nice bit of stuff , 7 bales / acre. There were a few savage good hay days there.
    We had a dust devil or a fairy wind yesterday too. I missed it myself but several neighbours witnessed it. Took hay up onto the roofs
    of nearby houses and back gardens! They all tell me it was quite the spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

See hay being rowed there. Decent crop too.

Was cut Monday and never turned once, just rowed it from the flat.

We’ve had fog heavy enough last two mornings to need wipers to clear the window of the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Sold rounds for €30 a bale out of the field in Waterford. €3.50 for squares
    It takes a very good round bale to equate to 10 small square bales.At €30 euro in the field it’s ok for local farmers with a short draw but if it’s hay being sent on a lorry to likes of the NW now or in Springtime after storage in a shed it would be dear enough fodder landing in the yard when haulage costs are added.

It takes a very good round bale to equate to 10 small square bales.At €30 euro in the field it’s ok for local farmers with a short draw but if it’s hay being sent on a lorry to likes of the NW now or in Springtime after storage in a shed it would be dear enough fodder landing in the yard when haulage costs are added.

There will be a lot of hay hanging around in sheds for a long time at those prices out of the field.

Baled today.

Cut last Saturday.

Looks very very dry.

Could it go in the shed tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ABlur

Baled today.

Cut last Saturday.

Looks very very dry.

Could it go in the shed tomorrow?

Is it in round bales? Unless you can space them out on pallets in a shed I'd be wary of stacking it tightly in a shed yet. If it's small squares bang em in straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Aravo wrote: »
    Hoping to bale here tomorrow afternoon. Turning daily.
    One field is grand, the other got an extra turn yesterday and will get same again today as the grass is a lot newer as was reseeded 2 yrs ago, the grass in this field is a lot greener and more sap in it.

Weather has been a bit hit and miss with cloud blocking out the sunshine for long periods some days.

Baled this evening. 62 bales. Cut Saturday.
    Let us all give thanks to the humble haybob.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

_Brian wrote: »
    See hay being rowed there. Decent crop too.

Was cut Monday and never turned once, just rowed it from the flat.

We’ve had fog heavy enough last two mornings to need wipers to clear the window of the van.

Must be wrapped. Can't see it as hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

another big day on the rake today in South kildare here,few spots doing 10 bales to the acre of stemmy bone dry stuff,only dodgey field was 4 acre field of my own that was too green for hay,will lash some plastic on the bales in the morning and feed it to the sheep next spring..country will be a wash with hay for sale and still GLAS meadows to be cut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

There will be a lot of hay hanging around in sheds for a long time at those prices out of the field.

I dunno. There was no good hay made last year. (Plenty of bad stuff attempted in the first week of August)
    Lads will be anxious for a few bales in the shed this year.

I dunno. There was no good hay made last year. (Plenty of bad stuff attempted in the first week of August)

No good hay? I bought the best hay I've ever bought, possibly the best hay I've ever seen or smelled last year from an Offaly man. I didn't notice much bad hay about tbh, and we've often been a dumping ground for it but people are a lot more picky with trucks with partial loads heading back east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I thought there was a lot of super hay made May 2020?
    I bought some bales, and it was fantastic stuff - was sorry I didn’t buy more...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Aravo wrote: »
    Must be wrapped. Can't see it as hay.

Yea.
    Was wrapped.

Jez it’s gone awful far for wrapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I bought some bales, and it was fantastic stuff - was sorry I didn’t buy more...

It round here there wasn’t. Don’t know too many chancing hay the second or third. week of May. Fair play to anybody that did.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

It round here there wasn’t. Don’t know too many chancing hay the second or third. week of May. Fair play to anybody that did.

Bought some here at the end of may last year from our contractor. Class stuff. Still green but bone dry. Was feeding for a while to cows before calving until I got weary that there was too much feeding in it and changed back to silage. Fed some weanlings on it instead and they done more over winter that they would have normally on average silage.

• Advertisement

Same as that, I'd have been happy to put a few artic loads in the shed had I been in a position to.

ABlur wrote: »
    Is it in round bales? Unless you can space them out on pallets in a shed I'd be wary of stacking it tightly in a shed yet. If it's small squares bang em in straight away!

Round bales

I was thinking of stacking them on the long side with a bit of a gap to avoid heating

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

104 bales in the bank …real nice stufff (for hay) cut Monday .double wrapped it as won’t be going into a shed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Round bales

I was thinking of stacking them on the long side with a bit of a gap to avoid heating

What's the hurry bringing them in?.. Your field won't have grass for at least a month. I always leave mine out for a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

7.5 bales/ acre made, will bring em up 2moro. Plan is to use it to soak up cows a bit pre dry off hope to stack em in shed if I can but can have em outside it till before rain comes if need be. Contractor said twud be safe enough to stack it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭minerleague

Baled here today, cut saturday and sunday, savage heat around here last few days, had to stop tedding after 2 times. Had booked contractor for thur when cutting but could have baled yesterday. Very light crop. Very easy save hay when weather is with you. Glas meadows next up, not sure would I sign up to measure like it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭50HX

Got baled up this evening, small fella got sick yesterday evening and woke this morning to a damp grass everywhere, was raging I didn't do it last night

Eventually got a breeze by midday, gave one belt out again and twas more than ready at 6pm...phew

Some of it really nice stuff, last 2 acres were for bedding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Tileman

Baled here today, cut saturday and sunday, savage heat around here last few days, had to stop tedding after 2 times. Had booked contractor for thur when cutting but could have baled yesterday. Very light crop. Very easy save hay when weather is with you. Glas meadows next up, not sure would I sign up to measure like it again.

Yea I had 20 bales of 2 acres but now have 12 acres for Glas. I don’t know whether I would sign up to Glas meadow again. 3 out of 5 years the good weather came before 1st July. It’s hard enough to make hay in Ireland without misssing out one the real good week in the year to make quality fodder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I finally have a contribution to the thread as I was starting to feel like the odd one out as I had no skin in the game. There's was a world of hay down all week locally and watching it going on reminded me that it was soon time to purchase a few small square bale's. I'd usually buy about 120 every second year or so just to have for convenience sake as needed.

At work today a good friend of mine remarked that he bought 400 squares off another friend of his yesterday evening. I causally said that I could do with buying 100 squares sooner as opposed to later. The conversation continued and I had the hay forgotten about in a few minutes after. If left to my own devices I might not buy anything for another month and it would keep getting put off.

After work I was changing a few cattle from the outfarm and had plans of clearing grass from under electric fencing for the evening. I got a phone call at 5.30 to say there was 100 bale's with my name on them currently being baled by the friend of my friend and to come and draw them ASAP as there wouldn't be enough shed space at the seller's place. I done 2 runs with the jeep and cattle trailer and the 100 bale's are safely in the shed. I hadn't intended on putting in as long a day but I've often had less successful day's and that's another job done for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

kk.man wrote: »
    What's the hurry bringing them in?.. Your field won't have grass for at least a month. I always leave mine out for a fortnight.

A lot of rain forecast for the weekend so if can get them in surely be better than leaving them out to get wet and be soaking up from the ground also

Advertisement