Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭Jb1989

2smiggy wrote: »

Great crop

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Young95

2smiggy wrote: »

When was that mowed ?

Wednesday evening. But weather has been good here. Last year was a disaster , touch wood , all going well so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Tileman

Great afternoon here now. But I cut turning lovely. Will bale on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭kk.man

Being driving around wicklow and Wexford today
    ... The world of hay is on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mitchells33

Mowed 12 acres on Saturday, all going well it will he baled tomorrow after lunch all going well, the last two days have been perfect for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭minerleague

Even back to 350rpm on the pto

Wouldnt agree with this at all, machine designed to be run at 540rpm for a reason, revs up to that & forward speed down is the way to go. Poor haybob gets a bad rep but usually down to poor setup or tedding more than once in the day. Turn it and let sun do the work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

Poor enough day here today. Cloudy and dead.

Hay is like bulmers. Nothing added but time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭DBK1

Wouldnt agree with this at all, machine designed to be run at 540rpm for a reason, revs up to that & forward speed down is the way to go. Poor haybob gets a bad rep but usually down to poor setup or tedding more than once in the day. Turn it and let sun do the work
    Finally someone that understands how to make hay!! Anyone that turns hay more than once a day should be put through the haybob themselves.

We’ve about 140 acres of hay on the ground at the minute, about 30 acres of our own to be saved, the rest for other men who are saving it themselves. I’ll be tedding mine out before lunch tomorrow and that’ll be it’s second tedding since being cut Saturday. It’ll make hay every bit as quick as the lads that are beating it around day and night with the difference being that mine will be good hay and theirs will be chaff with very poor feeding in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Fluff the sward almost into almost a row. It is vital that you are gentle with the crop as it is getting closer to the bale. Haybob is the the devils work. A machine which is a bit of both but not fully up to the job in either. Bought a rough tedder a few years ago and with a bit of tlc and a few parts, its singing. There is an option of a gear box for the tedders, called night sward. All it does to is reduces the speed of the rotors down to leave it almost in a row. Hard and slow in the start of hay, and the gentle and fast as it drys is the key. Going at 540 or close to it after 3 days just batters the crop into short hay and leads to loses when baling.
    The idea of turning it is to get air at the crop. Air at this time of year will dry grass very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭minerleague

Fluff the sward almost into almost a row. It is vital that you are gentle with the crop as it is getting closer to the bale. Haybob is the the devils work. A machine which is a bit of both but not fully up to the job in either. Bought a rough tedder a few years ago and with a bit of tlc and a few parts, its singing. There is an option of a gear box for the tedders, called night sward. All it does to is reduces the speed of the rotors down to leave it almost in a row. Hard and slow in the start of hay, and the gentle and fast as it drys is the key. Going at 540 or close to it after 3 days just batters the crop into short hay and leads to loses when baling.
    The idea of turning it is to get air at the crop. Air at this time of year will dry grass very quick

I'd argue that if hay is as brittle as that you should have it baled already, haybob has stood test of time , width is limited so more people are going for 4 an 6 rotor tedders. the amount of badly setup haybobs is unreal, teeth breaking all over the place, and forward speed too quick just so they can get a second run in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I'd argue that if hay is as brittle as that you should have it baled already, haybob has stood test of time , width is limited so more people are going for 4 an 6 rotor tedders. the amount of badly setup haybobs is unreal, teeth breaking all over the place, and forward speed too quick just so they can get a second run in

Set up if the machine is someing that is under estimated even with a haybob. Spent many years baling silage for a contractor and you could easily tell how easy it would be to bale by the pilot of the haybob rowing it up. Some guys shouldn't be let near one.

Getting back to hay. Fridays cut will be baled tomorrow. Some will have been only tedded twice and the rest 3 times. Light cover as it wasn't planned as a meadow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭Base price

893bet wrote: »
    Poor enough day here today. Cloudy and dead.

Hay is like bulmers. Nothing added but time.
    We were going to cut 12 acres on Saturday but the weather was overcast and cloudy. It's been much the same since and when the sun comes out it doesn't have the intensity that you need for hay.

We are going to wait for another week or so and see if the weather improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I see there is a strong possibility of rain beginning in the Southeast on Friday afternoon before tracking northwards.

Only a drop,but would be enough to spoil Hay for baling.Good steep of rain Nationwide on Saturday.

Suppose most people with Hay down will have it saved by Wednesday or Thursday so will avoid the rain.

Getting light meadow for Silage bales for sheep cut tomorrow morning and baled Wednesday morning .
    Want to get it off the fields when the ground is dry.

I wonder what will good quality sheep hay be priced at for small square bales sold from the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

My hay is struggling so far. A very heavy crop that still has plenty green through it.
    Cut Sat morning, turned twice since. It needs 2 more good days but the weather is cloudy for Weds - Friday.
    I'll make a decision after today as I might just wrap it for hayledge instead.
    Top quality hayledge Vs mouldy hay is a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

My hay is struggling so far. A very heavy crop that still has plenty green through it.
    Cut Sat morning, turned twice since. It needs 2 more good days but the weather is cloudy for Weds - Friday.
    I'll make a decision after today as I might just wrap it for hayledge instead.
    Top quality hayledge Vs mouldy hay is a no brainer

If your making haulage of it make sure to bale it with the dew on it and plenty plastic on them we usually bale here at 6 or 7 am for haylage

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone here in the southeast? Think there’s rain on Thursday? Or is it only gossip and plough on for bailing on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

lab man wrote: »
    If your making haulage of it make sure to bale it with the dew on it and plenty plastic on them we usually bale here at 6 or 7 am for haylage

Is there a point at which it's gone too far to wrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Too_Old_Boots

Gudstock wrote: »
    Is there a point at which it's gone too far to wrap?
    No, but
    if it is almost at the point of hay then you really need to be going with extra wrap, 6 wraps instead of 4 or else you could get some mold in the hayledge, but it still makes for cracking feed stuff.

The day has shone out so I'm going to rattle it again today in an hour or so. I think if today stays good then it should make great hay by Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Sami23

No, but
    if it is almost at the point of hay then you really need to be going with extra wrap, 6 wraps instead of 4 or else you could get some mold in the hayledge, but it still makes for cracking feed stuff.

The day has shone out so I'm going to rattle it again today in an hour or so. I think if today stays good then it should make great hay by Friday.

If we get till Friday evening without rain I think everyone will be laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Sami23

DBK1 wrote: »
    Finally someone that understands how to make hay!! Anyone that turns hay more than once a day should be put through the haybob themselves.

In perfect conditions you are 100% correct if you were guaranteed over a week of perfect sunny weather.
    The problem this week in many parts of the country is the cloud cover and lack of a good breeze and high temps so we have to turn/ted more often than we would like to get it baled before the rain..
    The weather dictates in Ireland I'm afraid

Young95 wrote: »
    Anyone here in the southeast? Think there’s rain on Thursday? Or is it only gossip and plough on for bailing on Thursday?

Thursday is up in the air tbh... I'll know later on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

DBK1 wrote: »

We’ve about 140 acres of hay on the ground at the minute, about 30 acres of our own to be saved, the rest for other men who are saving it themselves. I’ll be tedding mine out before lunch tomorrow and that’ll be it’s second tedding since being cut Saturday. It’ll make hay every bit as quick as the lads that are beating it around day and night with the difference being that mine will be good hay and theirs will be chaff with very poor feeding in it.

You're spot on there.
    It's the weather that makes it, not the turning.
    The best hay I ever made was just turned twice or three times and rowed up. 2013, 2014 and 2018. Was good enough to fatten stock.
    Every turning reduces the DMD by something like 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Neddyusa wrote: »
    You're spot on there.
    It's the weather that makes it, not the turning.
    The best hay I ever made was just turned twice or three times and rowed up. 2013, 2014 and 2018. Was good enough to fatten stock.
    Every turning reduces the DMD by something like 3%.

Agree but how often do we get the weather to have the luxury of sitting back and letting it save itself.

Better bale before Thursday in the South East

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Whats the price of making a smallsq bales these days

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

K.G. wrote: »
    Whats the price of making a smallsq bales these days

Handier for feeding on the winterage

dull and foggy morning here. should brighten up later in the day. have about 20 acres left that should be good to bale with a bit of sunshine this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

No, but

Id say its thurs or no go .you wont get the evening sunshine which is best for baling hay on friday.have small bit baling tomorrow cut friday evening

Advertisement