Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still serial killers out there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

There ain't nothing in the woodshed (except maybe some wood)

That's what she said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I worked with one around 02 / 03 in London for a short time, there was about 10 of us on the crew and used to go out for a few pints together after work

All I remember is him being a bit to eager to please, but other than that he seemed to be just one of the lads

A couple of years later I was walking by a newspaper stand in the shop and saw his fat ugly mug plastered all over the front of them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi_Bellfield

May the fcuker burn in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's unfair on the carpenters... Carpenters lives matter:D

Except when they're called Larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

My two boys were cereal killers. A box wouldn't last more than a coupla breakfasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I read somewhere that there are estimated to be up to 25 serial killers active at any one time in the US.

The good ones don't get caught.

If they're killing randomers and leaving no trace it's nearly impossible to catch them. I think I read somewhere that they're normally caught either through confession to someone or getting cocky/careless maybe subconsciously wanting to be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

LMHC wrote: »
    The rate this man stiffed and dropped people I'd consider him a genuine psycho and serial killer hahah

Would you consider Richard kuklinski

Kuklinski was a serial killer and a hitman. he killed for money but he also killed other just because he enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

zanador wrote: »
    If they're killing randomers and leaving no trace it's nearly impossible to catch them. I think I read somewhere that they're normally caught either through confession to someone or getting cocky/careless maybe subconsciously wanting to be caught.

Have always thought that myself. If you're plucking off random people with no pattern and those you've no connection to, in a city or state that isn't your own, and if you're somewhat smart about it, i.e., don't do it in a mall or at a gas station, then... it'd be very hard to connect the dots really wouldn't it?

zanador wrote: »

This guy operated for a period of 15 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Keyes

He made sure there was no connection between him and the victims. He didn't have a victim profile. He always killed far from home, in one case flying to a different state, renting a car and then driving a 1000 miles to a third state to murder a family he picked out. He only used cash and kept his phone off while committing his crimes. The only reason he was caught is because he used his last victims debit card. It might not be as easy to get away with serial killing as it once was but it is still possible if you plan properly.

This guy operated for a period of 15 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Keyes

He made sure there was no connection between him and the victims. He didn't have a victim profile. He always killed far from home, in one case flying to a different state, renting a car and then driving a 1000 miles to a third state to murder a family he picked out. He only used cash and kept his phone off while committing his crimes. The only reason he was caught is because he used his last victims debit card. It might not be as easy to get away with serial killing as it once was but it is still possible if you plan properly.

Ah FFS...

"Keyes' last known victim was 18-year-old Samantha Koenig, a coffee booth employee in Anchorage, Alaska. Keyes kidnapped Koenig from her workplace on February 1, 2012, took her debit card and other property, sexually assaulted her, then killed her the following day. He left her body in a shed and went to New Orleans, where he departed on a pre-booked two-week cruise with his family in the Gulf of Mexico.

When he returned to Alaska, he removed Koenig's body from the shed, applied makeup to the corpse's face, sewed her eyes open with fishing line, and snapped a picture of a four-day-old issue of the Anchorage Daily News alongside her body, posed to appear that she was still alive. After demanding $30,000 in ransom, Keyes dismembered Koenig's body and disposed of it in Matanuska Lake, north of Anchorage."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Great to hear.
    Thats both encouraging and motivating.

• Advertisement

Ah FFS...

"Keyes' last known victim was 18-year-old Samantha Koenig, a coffee booth employee in Anchorage, Alaska. Keyes kidnapped Koenig from her workplace on February 1, 2012, took her debit card and other property, sexually assaulted her, then killed her the following day. He left her body in a shed and went to New Orleans, where he departed on a pre-booked two-week cruise with his family in the Gulf of Mexico.

When he returned to Alaska, he removed Koenig's body from the shed, applied makeup to the corpse's face, sewed her eyes open with fishing line, and snapped a picture of a four-day-old issue of the Anchorage Daily News alongside her body, posed to appear that she was still alive. After demanding $30,000 in ransom, Keyes dismembered Koenig's body and disposed of it in Matanuska Lake, north of Anchorage."

he was a serious nutcase. The FBI interviews with him are scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It might not be as easy to get away with serial killing as it once was but it is still possible if you plan properly.
    ArtyM wrote: »
    Great to hear.
    Thats both encouraging and motivating.

You know when you're a kid, and you're all upset when you're not good at something and your mother says "Keep trying. Anything's possible if you put your mind to it"

This is exactly what she means.

he was a serious nutcase. The FBI interviews with him are scary.

Good series Mindhunters about early days of FBI behavioural science unit.
    As TV series go.

As TV series go.

Ed Kemper was (or rather is) a seriously scary individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there must be internationally especially in less developed places

it would be a lot harder to get away with it now.
    every move we make is monitored in some way.
    the amount of cctv is crazy now. every shop , petrol station town center toll road etc is recorded
    all our employment records, wages, bank info, atm info etc is all availible easily
    our phones are tracking us with gps, and every purchace or site searched is stored somewhere.
    as soon a murder is reported all the guards can be filled in within minutes and they can phone ahead to try to catch someone if they think they are going in that direction.
    it takes second now to ring the guards , not like years ago when it would take 10 min to get to the local phone box. those minutes are crucial in catching someone

it is posible to be a serial killer but you would need to be insanily smart and have a great plan to get away with it

its not just the clues you leave at your crime scene it is also the holes in your regular life that will catch you out

i remember my father talking about some guy years ago when he was a teenager. so 50+ years ago
    there was a young man that fell out with his family and ran away to the other end of the country . noone heard anything about him , no one saw him etc until 40 years later when the family farm was being divied up in a will . yer man turns up . turns out he lived at the other end of the country with his family and had a new life. he have vanished into thin air and nobody could track him down.
    i cannot see that kind of thing happening in this day and age. we are far too conected

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

As TV series go.

Excellent series .

The reason there hasn't been another episode is terrifying, the FBI believe an individual got a part as an extra in an episode and is suspected of being a serial killer and hasnt killed since the last episode.
    The FBI fear if the show restarts , he'll kill again.

Serial killers are notorious liars , has anyone a loan of a shovel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

The thing is though the police aren't the only ones benefiting from modern technology, so are the criminals. In many ways modern technology probably makes it easier for them such as finding victims and methods of getting away with things. Probably makes them find each other too, like some sort of tinder for psychos.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

There is also cases of police or ex-police serial killers.

Golden State Killer springs to mind.

Look at that ‘house of horrors’ in Dalkey. That girl/teenager/woman told her story for DECADES & was even on the Late Late with Gay Byrne (when it meant something) saying she was being abused and tourtured and raped and that her parents and the police were colluding. She repeatedly said there were bodies of her children buried in the family garden. That went on for decades. Nothing was done.

Look at the scandals in Swim Ireland. Generations of children raped and lives ruined - and predators walking about unscathed and the conspiracy of fear & shame in the victims that facilitated it.

Look at what has gone on in Tuam.

TBH, I wouldn't put that in the same category as the other organised scandals, like in swimming, the scouts, or Tuam.

I believe the victim's account of abuse and incest, and the killing of a newborn child is extremely likely given that a body was found. But it started getting a bit weird when claims were made about more killings, and even a paedophile ring involving Gardai and (I think) a high-profile individual. The accused Guard has named himself in the media, which is not the behaviour of a guilty person, acknowledging the abuse, but seems bewildered by the allegation. Claims were made about bodies in the garden, which in the end, were not accurate.

Some of the Dalkey victims sadly killed themselves. There is clearly a deep legacy of trauma there. I don't believe the claims are malice on their parts. I suspect they're traumatised, as anyone would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Excellent series .

The reason there hasn't been another episode is terrifying, the FBI believe an individual got a part as an extra in an episode and is suspected of being a serial killer and hasnt killed since the last episode.

They're great men to build patios in fairness:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I read somewhere that there are estimated to be up to 25 serial killers active at any one time in the US.

The good ones don't get caught.

25 probably makes sense in a population of 300m+. We have 400m+ in the EU so could be similar numbers here as well. Ive wondered are there serial killers who use the EUs open borders to their advantage, i.e. a serial killer who lives in Germany could hop in a car, drive to Romania and commit a murder there, following year they choose another country and so on. The local police investigating it would immediately be on the back foot when its as random as that and they have no profile to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

TBH, I wouldn't put that in the same category as the other organised scandals, like in swimming, the scouts, or Tuam.

I believe the victim's account of abuse and incest, and the killing of a newborn child is extremely likely given that a body was found. But it started getting a bit weird when claims were made about more killings, and even a paedophile ring involving Gardai and (I think) a high-profile individual. The accused Guard has named himself in the media, which is not the behaviour of a guilty person, acknowledging the abuse, but seems bewildered by the allegation. Claims were made about bodies in the garden, which in the end, were not accurate.

Some of the Dalkey victims sadly killed themselves. There is clearly a deep legacy of trauma there. I don't believe the claims are malice on their parts. I suspect they're traumatised, as anyone would be.

Always found it odd that there was a heavy focus in trying to find out who killed the newborn baby but no real attention paid to who got the kid, I think she was 14, pregnant.

Then you’ve the inquiry where yer man Gageby recommended a time limit on historic abuse cases and where central figures in the investigation weren’t even spoken to.

While I do find a lot of “conspiracy theories” are easily dismissed, sometimes there are links where things do start to stink a little.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Always found it odd that there was a heavy focus in trying to find out who killed the newborn baby but no real attention paid to who got the kid, I think she was 14, pregnant.

Then you’ve the inquiry where yer man Gageby recommended a time limit on historic abuse cases and where central figures in the investigation weren’t even spoken to.

While I do find a lot of “conspiracy theories” are easily dismissed, sometimes there are links where you things do start to stink a little.

I've no doubt but that there were shortcomings in the Gageby inquiry, I wouldn't place much store in these quasi-judicial investigations at all.

I suspect that when people have been seriously let-down by the administration of justice, and these people are already very traumatised, they reach conclusions that aren't necessarily merited. I think there was an animalistic predator and his wife behind the Dalkey case. That man ruined several lives.

We should be sensitive towards the survivors. Trying not be condescending, we should acknowledge the trauma of victims, and also be realistic about the likelihood of paedophile rings, especially involving people of influence. The predator in this case was not a man that so-called respected pillars of the community, or a showbiz star, would engage with, and an excavation of the garden has returned nothing.

The fundamental claims are completely accepted, obviously, and those are harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

slipperyox wrote: »
    I'd say any current serial killers in Ireland, will all be in some sort of medical profession.
    Or, be so intelligent, they deserve not to be caught?

"So intelligent they deserve not to be caught"

Every day, boards.ie hits a new low. :rolleyes:

I've no doubt but that there were shortcomings in the Gageby inquiry, I wouldn't place much store in these quasi-judicial investigations at all.

I suspect that when people have been seriously let-down by the administration of justice, and these people are already very traumatised, they reach conclusions that aren't necessarily merited. I think there was an animalistic predator and his wife behind the Dalkey case. That man ruined several lives.

We should be sensitive towards the survivors. Trying not be condescending, we should acknowledge the trauma of victims, and also be realistic about the likelihood of paedophile rings, especially involving people of influence. The predator in this case was not a man that so-called respected pillars of the community, or a showbiz star, would engage with, and an excavation of the garden has returned nothing.

The fundamental claims are completely accepted, obviously, and those are harrowing.

Police ineptitude leads to conspiracy fuel in a few of these famous cases. But I wouldn’t rule out the idea of a pedo ring because the father was an undesirable, he’s exactly the type a ring might use because of the type of person he was.

Then having someone, who successfully got a number of known paedophiles off, heading up an enquiry into the case and seemingly half-assing it, doesn’t look good.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Wasn't there a homeless Irish fella living in London that used to push people in front of trains at night. Would have been put down as suicides or accidents so they think now there could have been 30 murdered.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Wasn't there a homeless Irish fella living in London that used to push people in front of trains at night. Would have been put down as suicides or accidents so they think now there could have been 30 murdered.

You have as link or something for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭blackvalley

iamstop wrote: »
    You have as link or something for this?

There is a podcast series about it called " The nobody zone " I think.
    I read somewhere though that a lot of the story has been dismissed as a fairytale by a discredited police officer.

• Advertisement

Excellent series .

Ah heor... true?

Advertisement