Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still serial killers out there

Options
  • 07-06-2021 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Just watching " Worlds worst serial killers " a story about Richard Ramirez who was active in Los Angeles in 1980 .
    With so much CCTV coverage today and the accuracy of DNA I dont think its possible for anyone to get away with a killing spree like that nowadays . ( Thankfully )
    What do you think ( not that im planning anything :eek: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I'd say any current serial killers in Ireland, will all be in some sort of medical profession.
    Or, be so intelligent, they deserve not to be caught?

Yes.

I mean no..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Don't go near the garden shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Most of he cases go back to the seventies and eighties so I dont think it could happen nowadays with modern technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Like this one?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057876630

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Are there still serial killers out there?

They're all a bit out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Once they're out there and not in here, we be all right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Where there is a will there is a way.
    Isn’t it beautiful how successfully we can fool ourselves into believing that technology can keep us safe? And that it is everywhere.
    And of course that everyone’s life is worth protecting even if they are disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They’ve moved on to being parallel killers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Where there is a will there is a way.
    Isn’t it beautiful how successfully we can fool ourselves into believing that technology can keep us safe? And that it is everywhere.
    And of course that everyone’s life is worth protecting even if they are disposable.

Found one.
    I actually read that post in Hannibal Lectars voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There ain't nothing in the woodshed (except maybe some wood)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Funnily enough there is one in mountjoy serving an unrelated sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Social media, more liberal attitudes to sex and homosexuality and less covering up of abuse probably make it more difficult for them these days. E.g. if you were gay back in the 1980s and Jeffrey Dahmer brought you to his apartment for (his) lunch but you escaped, you might not tell anyone. Now you probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Most of he cases go back to the seventies and eighties so I dont think it could happen nowadays with modern technology.

makes you wonder though. lets say technology has made us far safer, thats us out of the equation, we're safe.
    however, what about the would be serial killers, is the inclination still there? are they still out there and wanting to kill but just incapable.

if in the 70's or 80's you normally got x numbers of serial killers as a percentage of population, then do more modern years not still have the same % of people with the same inclination, just prevented from materializing due to tech barriers.

85603 wrote: »
    makes you wonder though. lets say technology has made us far safer, thats us out of the equation, we're safe.
    however, what about the would be serial killers, is the inclination still there? are they still out there and wanting to kill but just incapable.

if in the 70's or 80's you normally got x numbers of serial killers as a percentage of population, then do more modern years not still have the same % of people with the same inclination, just prevented from materializing due to tech barriers.

Depends on the motivation and how strong the desire is to give into to desire/urges. It’s human nature.

It is nothing but naive to believe that technology is keeping you save from someone who puts a lot of planing into their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

LMHC wrote: »
    Funnily enough there is one in mountjoy serving an unrelated sentence.

Hitman?

Not really serially killer per say.

Hitman?

Not really serially killer per say.

The rate this man stiffed and dropped people I'd consider him a genuine psycho and serial killer hahah

Would you consider Richard kuklinski

Depends on the motivation and how strong the desire is to give into to it desire/urges. It’s human nature.

It is nothing but naive to believe that technology is keeping you save from someone who puts a lot of planing into their actions.

I agree that technology cannot keep us safe individually but the chance that someone could operate over a period of months or even years without somehow leaving a trail is remote .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Depends on the motivation and how strong the desire is to give into to it desire/urges. It’s human nature.

not really normal human nature though is it.

most people dont want to serial kill. but a very small number do.

we can make it much harder to do, but we cant stop the intention.

so are they out there with the intention, just frustrated by police advancements.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

LMHC wrote: »
    The rate this man stiffed and dropped people I'd consider him a genuine psycho and serial killer hahah

Would you consider Richard kuklinski

Is it Wilson you refer to? He's an exception in terms of what he did to the girl is outside the realms of the kills for business hitman.

In my mind a serial killer is one who kills for sexual or God complex motives, rather than to make money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's unfair on the carpenters... Carpenters lives matter:D

I always have a little giggle when I walk by the abandoned pub called 'Larry Murphy's' on Baggot Street.

I remember when it was still going, because I lived nearby. "Meeting a bird for a drink in Larry Murphy's" was something you'd often hear. You wouldn't hear anyone saying that now.

Is it Wilson you refer to? He's an exception in terms of what he did to the girl is outside the realms of the kills for business hitman.

In my mind a serial killer is one who kills for sexual or God complex motives, rather than to make money.

No not Wilson. This guy has a bigger body count then Wilson.

85603 wrote: »
    not really normal human nature though is it.

most people dont want to serial kill. but a very small number do.

we can make it much harder to do, but we cant stop the intention.

so are they out there with the intention, just frustrated by police advancements.

It doesn’t really matter how high/ small the percentage is. I’m not sure if the urge is any way different than more socially acceptable desires. Likewise it could just be a practical reason such as killing a witness you had wrong/ robbed/ raped etc in order to avoid capture.

I agree that technological advancement has made things more challenging in some ways, but it has also given a lot of opportunity to stake out a victim more efficiently. Just look at all of the personal information people provide willingly on social media - it’s like serving yourself up on a platter to a cannibal tribe.

There are plenty of countries where will find yourself much more free of cctv and constant monitoring as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

without a doubt there are.
    was watching a distirbing documentary the other day about a highway in (I think) Oklahoma that was referred to as the Killing Highway as there had been bodies of so many women found murdered and discarded in the scrub alongside it. 80 I think.

The FBI have done a Career/Opportunity/Behavioural analysis for serial killers & seem to have had a fun time identifying the most likely professions to be one...
    https://www.fleetowner.com/resource-center/driver-management/article/21695112/truckers-make-ideal-serial-killers-fbi

Here - with the amount of people arriving for overseas to Iteland and illigally arriving or remaining ‘students’ from distant shores It sets a wannabe Serial Killer right up - distant country, vulnerable person, few family connections here, foreign language barrier for family - perfect storm.

I’ve no doubt some of the missing and trafficked people here are dead or murdered.

Look at the lax cases of gaurds/ police ‘investigating’ into that poor girl in Clare now 12 years murdered and the police were happy to accept an accidental fire as cause and then once the family demanded a second autopsy that the ‘neighbour’ whose shoes they found at the edge of the cliffs of moher had killed himself and was responsible - until the family kept asking questions and digging and found him alive & working in Germany. But still no progress.

I’ve no doubt people get away with not only murder but also with secret killing here in Ireland. Look at all that land to bury in - and we are surrounded by sea.

And lets face it - in some of the many high profile cases there were total
    misses in the investigations. Not to mention That poor guy missing on a night out from Lillies - no CCTV was EVER looked at - they found him weeks later down a laneway not thirty steps from Lillies. And that Icelandic guy - missing - none of the traffic CCtV or area CCTV looked at. Same for multiple crimes I know of - CCTV just too much effort for them to bother asking for. Now think about people they don’t know or care about. Or situations in the UK where families and communities collude to conceal what has gone on. You think that dosn’t or couldn’t happen here?

I read about this
    monster and his wife the other day - the Ogre of Ardennes. They were ‘working’ in tandem to kidnap, rape and mutilate CHILDREN. They ‘got away’ with TWENTY until one poor child gnawed her way through the rope tying her hands and feet together and threw herself out of the moving van on a motorway & another car stopped & drove her off as they gave chase. That was 2003.

Then I linked and watched a horrifying documentary on homes for vulnerable and disabled girls - again - a predatory torture and rape/murder ‘syndicate’ comprising allegedly of police, senior judiciary and politicians. This was in France - not some backwater hole. They were only revealed because the English parents of a girl murdered a week before her college term ended refused to give up and spent their life savings employing French laywers and investigators to check every detail. A few days before the trial their principle investigator was found dead - ‘suicide’. They them persuaded his family to get an exhumation and discovered it was a murder - two gun blasts to the brain - that was how it was eventually uncovered. You could not make this stuff up. And this was all post 2000, Europe.

If you think your councils cctv or neigubours doorbell camera will keep you safe when someone comes crawling in your back window at night in his tracksuit & hoodie & grey goose jacket with a hatchet you are seriously delusional. Nobody cares, nobody will bother, and unless there is a body there is no crime...

without a doubt there are.
    was watching a distirbing documentary the other day about a highway in (I think) Oklahoma that was referred to as the Killing Highway as there had been bodies of so many women found murdered and discarded in the scrub alongside it. 80 I think.

The FBI have done a Career/Opportunity/Behavioural analysis for serial killers & seem to have had a fun time identifying the most likely professions to be one...
    https://www.fleetowner.com/resource-center/driver-management/article/21695112/truckers-make-ideal-serial-killers-fbi

Here - with the amount of people arriving for overseas to Iteland and illigally arriving or remaining ‘students’ from distant shores It sets a wannabe Serial Killer right up - distant country, vulnerable person, few family connections here, foreign language barrier for family - perfect storm.

I’ve no doubt some of the missing and trafficked people here are dead or murdered.

Look at the lax cases of gaurds/ police ‘investigating’ into that poor girl in Clare now 12 years murdered and the police were happy to accept an accidental fire as cause and then once the family demanded a second autopsy that the ‘neighbour’ whose shoes they found at the edge of the cliffs of moher had killed himself and was responsible - until the family kept asking questions and digging and found him alive & working in Germany. But still no progress.

I’ve no doubt people get away with not only murder but also with secret killing here in Ireland. Look at all that land to bury in - and we are surrounded by sea.

And lets face it - in some of the many high profile cases there were total
    misses in the investigations. Not to mention That poor guy missing on a night out from Lillies - no CCTV was EVER looked at - they found him weeks later down a laneway not thirty steps from Lillies. And that Icelandic guy - missing - none of the traffic CCtV or area CCTV looked at. Same for multiple crimes I know of - CCTV just too much effort for them to bother asking for. Now think about people they don’t know or care about. Or situations in the UK where families and communities collude to conceal what has gone on. You think that dosn’t or couldn’t happen here?

I read about this
    monster and his wife the other day - the Ogre of Ardennes. They were ‘working’ in tandem to kidnap, rape and mutilate CHILDREN. They ‘got away’ with TWENTY until one poor child gnawed her way through the rope tying her hands and feet together and threw herself out of the moving van on a motorway & another car stopped & drove her off as they gave chase. That was 2003.

Then I linked and watched a horrifying documentary on homes for vulnerable and disabled girls - again - a predatory torture and rape/murder ‘syndicate’ comprising allegedly of police, senior judiciary and politicians. This was in France - not some backwater hole. They were only revealed because the English parents of a girl murdered a week before her college term ended refused to give up and spent their life savings employing French laywers and investigators to check every detail. A few days before the trial their principle investigator was found dead - ‘suicide’. They them persuaded his family to get an exhumation and discovered it was a murder - two gun blasts to the brain - that was how it was eventually uncovered. You could not make this stuff up. And this was all post 2000, Europe.

If you think your councils cctv or neigubours doorbell camera will keep you safe when someone comes crawling in your back window at night in his tracksuit & hoodie & grey goose jacket with a hatchet you are seriously delusional. Nobody cares, nobody will bother, and unless there is a body there is no crime...

Very interesting post and i totally agree with your last paragraph .
    I would say however that the guy in the grey hoodie would be unlikely to get away with this conduct over a period of months or years undetected .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

[/B]

Very interesting post and i totally agree with your last paragraph .
    I would say however that the guy in the grey hoodie would be unlikely to get away with this conduct over a period of months or years undetected .

Thanks! Quiet week here so I did a bit of grisly reading!

In reply - look at the few high profile murders we’ve had in the papers here ‘recently’. Mr Moonlight RIP. Elaine O’Hara RIP - Graham Dywers victim. Both only for sheer one in a million chance almost got away with their murders. Two years+ and No leads, no body. Graham O’Dyeer was only caught because of a drought, a dog, a zealous off duty policeman who happened to be on a walk, and phone mast records - now challenged under GDPR at EU level. Noone knows how many bodies are in slurry tanks all over the country and who would look? Not if they had no reason - and no premission. O’Dywer was on S&M punishment chatrooms ENROLLING willing victims. God knows if he has more. No victim no investigation. Police never even checked her phone or PC when she went missing - she was vulnerable and dismissed - as was her desperate father. Poor Elaine O’Hara was dismissed as missing or suicide because she had been depressed over her mothers death & even the ‘consultants’ in the residental care unit she was in for months did not ‘find out’ her fears or secrets - an ill and innocent shop girl kept her secret against the so called best trained doctors and analysts in the country. They simply never found out - deapite weeks of questions and ‘therapy’. It was a dismissed human connection with a nurse as she was being discharged that accidentally revealed Graham Dywer & that she was afraid of him and he wanted to let him kill her. But even with this nothing was done - nothing. She was let return to her death and murder.

I’d say people get away with it all the time.

Look at that ‘house of horrors’ in Dalkey. That girl/teenager/woman told her story for DECADES & was even on the Late Late with Gay Byrne (when it meant something) saying she was being abused and tourtured and raped and that her parents and the police were colluding. She repeatedly said there were bodies of her children buried in the family garden. That went on for decades. Nothing was done.

Look at the scandals in Swim Ireland. Generations of children raped and lives ruined - and predators walking about unscathed and the conspiracy of fear & shame in the victims that facilitated it.

Look at what has gone on in Tuam. Bodies of little babies dug into sewage tanks and the state officials KNOWING this because death certs were issued - no hard questions ever asked and now a institutional refusal to investigate OR to probe other institutions. This was all revealed by a local woman doing research in publically accessible state and county council archives. My point being that ORDINARY people knew, were silent, helped in the cover up, and are now also being protected by other unlinked ‘ordinary people’ who have locked the records and are refusing to instruct the resources of funds be sent it to fully investigate or to investigate parallel institutions.

It’s an institutional mindset and a self preservation mindset. I’m sure there are odd people all over the country in rural locations where people lnow or suspect something is wrong/ has been done and they ate keeping quiet because they have no proof and know they will possibly become another target if they point a finger. No cctv in the fields.

And of course that body in the freezer in Galway for - was it 4 years? He walked in there and never walked out. A busy town. A busy business. Stuffed under bags of ice and boxes in a back freezer for years. Who else that worked on that boat went missing, fell overboard or suddenly emigrated? And did anyone look?

Think about Fred and Rosemary West. Their CHILDREN and foster children disappeared. Where were their neighbours? Right over the dividing wall. In eating canopées off the serving trolley on the patio - where they were all buried under in cement. And those foster children had social workers and case workers - all were totally failed - because it was easy, they were overworked, the children were ‘problem’ ones , they only had so many hours & hundreds of others to deal with - whats a few more runaways. Fred and Rosemary were very plausible and sociable. And evil. It seems to be a winning serial killer combination. Even in a city.

I’d say there are far more killers about in Iteland than any of us would like to admit or think about.

On a final horrific note - and read only if you have a strong stomach. That awful case in Queensland (I think) of the little child who literally dissappeared off the face of the planet while unexpectedly visiting his grandparents while work was done on their ‘new’ house. Everybody knew in that community of the man in the runndown shack - everybody warned their children never to go near him or accept a life. Everybody knew - but they were new in town and didn’t. Like little Madeline McCanns alleged killer he had served multiple sentences for child rape and child abduction. The neighbours suspected he was the one who had raped and mutilated their dog. Horrific. Yet noone said anything to the new family and noone warned them. He had the alibi of his also convicted paedophile friend that they were playing cards together all day. And the protection of the staye because he was presumed innocent. That childs body has never been found either. RIP. 5 yo & 40’C heat. A child like the missing one was seen in a van identical to his airconditioned one where the child had gone down to meet his daddy home from work. Shocking. And in America seems to be more and more the norm. I think if I lived there i’d have a big gun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

You still hear of it the odd time. That fella on grindr in England who drugged and murdered a few of the young lads he hooked up with , springs to mind, was only 2 or 3 years ago

I read somewhere that there are estimated to be up to 25 serial killers active at any one time in the US.

The good ones don't get caught.

• Advertisement

Thanks! Quiet week here so I did a bit of grisly reading!

In reply - look at the few high profile murders we’ve had in the papers here ‘recently’. Mr Moonlight RIP. Elaine O’Hara RIP - Graham Dywers victim. Both only for sheer one in a million chance almost got away with their murders. Two years+ and No leads, no body. Graham O’Dyeer was only caught because of a drought, a dog, a zealous off duty policeman who happened to be on a walk, and phone mast records - now challenged under GDPR at EU level. Noone knows how many bodies are in slurry tanks all over the country and who would look? Not if they had no reason - and no premission. O’Dywer was on S&M punishment chatrooms ENROLLING willing victims. God knows if he has more. No victim no investigation. Police never even checked her phone or PC when she went missing - she was vulnerable and dismissed - as was her desperate father. Poor Elaine O’Hara was dismissed as missing or suicide because she had been depressed over her mothers death & even the ‘consultants’ in the residental care unit she was in for months did not ‘find out’ her fears or secrets - an ill and innocent shop girl kept her secret against the so called best trained doctors and analysts in the country. They simply never found out - deapite weeks of questions and ‘therapy’. It was a dismissed human connection with a nurse as she was being discharged that accidentally revealed Graham Dywer & that she was afraid of him and he wanted to let him kill her. But even with this nothing was done - nothing. She was let return to her death and murder.

I’d say people get away with it all the time.

Look at that ‘house of horrors’ in Dalkey. That girl/teenager/woman told her story for DECADES & was even on the Late Late with Gay Byrne (when it meant something) saying she was being abused and tourtured and raped and that her parents and the police were colluding. She repeatedly said there were bodies of her children buried in the family garden. That went on for decades. Nothing was done.

Look at the scandals in Swim Ireland. Generations of children raped and lives ruined - and predators walking about unscathed and the conspiracy of fear & shame in the victims that facilitated it.

Look at what has gone on in Tuam. Bodies of little babies dug into sewage tanks and the state officials KNOWING this because death certs were issued - no hard questions ever asked and now a institutional refusal to investigate OR to probe other institutions. This was all revealed by a local woman doing research in publically accessible state and county council archives. My point being that ORDINARY people knew, were silent, helped in the cover up, and are now also being protected by other unlinked ‘ordinary people’ who have locked the records and are refusing to instruct the resources of funds be sent it to fully investigate or to investigate parallel institutions.

It’s an institutional mindset and a self preservation mindset. I’m sure there are odd people all over the country in rural locations where people lnow or suspect something is wrong/ has been done and they ate keeping quiet because they have no proof and know they will possibly become another target if they point a finger. No cctv in the fields.

And of course that body in the freezer in Galway for - was it 4 years? He walked in there and never walked out. A busy town. A busy business. Stuffed under bags of ice and boxes in a back freezer for years. Who else that worked on that boat went missing, fell overboard or suddenly emigrated? And did anyone look?

Think about Fred and Rosemary West. Their CHILDREN and foster children disappeared. Where were their neighbours? Right over the dividing wall. In eating canopées off the serving trolley on the patio - where they were all buried under in cement. And those foster children had social workers and case workers - all were totally failed - because it was easy, they were overworked, the children were ‘problem’ ones , they only had so many hours & hundreds of others to deal with - whats a few more runaways. Fred and Rosemary were very plausible and sociable. And evil. It seems to be a winning serial killer combination. Even in a city.

I’d say there are far more killers about in Iteland than any of us would like to admit or think about.

On a final horrific note - and read only if you have a strong stomach. That awful case in Queensland (I think) of the little child who literally dissappeared off the face of the planet while unexpectedly visiting his grandparents while work was done on their ‘new’ house. Everybody knew in that community of the man in the runndown shack - everybody warned their children never to go near him or accept a life. Everybody knew - but they were new in town and didn’t. Like little Madeline McCanns alleged killer he had served multiple sentences for child rape and child abduction. The neighbours suspected he was the one who had raped and mutilated their dog. Horrific. Yet noone said anything to the new family and noone warned them. He had the alibi of his also convicted paedophile friend that they were playing cards together all day. And the protection of the staye because he was presumed innocent. That childs body has never been found either. RIP. 5 yo & 40’C heat. A child like the missing one was seen in a van identical to his airconditioned one where the child had gone down to meet his daddy home from work. Shocking. And in America seems to be more and more the norm. I think if I lived there i’d have a big gun too.

I dont doubt you whatsoever and admire your knowledge and research on the subject .
    However I think that if we define " serial killer " in terms that most people understand then my point still stands.
    In my mind ( perhaps incorrectly ) a serial killer is someone who over a period of time targets and kills people from a particular grouping. It could be women , men , prostitutes , children , ethnic groups etc . They rarely stray from the target group and it appears to be done for some mixed up psychological reasons / kicks.
    The chance of someone getting away with a number of these crimes today I think is almost impossible certainly in a modern developed country .
    Take for example the tragic cases which happened here back in the eighties when several girls vanished in the Leinster area . Today police would have access to CCTV and dash cam footage which would give them a far greater chance of success .
    Also the ability to log all statements and evidence electronically in a central data base with cross reference facilities means that the " smoking gun " will never again get buried somewhere in a file only to emerge years later in a review .

Advertisement