Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Dunne Gym Reopening: No Swimming Pool and 50% Price Increase!

Options
  • 06-06-2021 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I am a member of a Ben Dunne gym that has always had a swimming pool. Ben Dunne has changed his terms and conditions to state that there will be no swimming pools in his gyms. The pool was a big part of why I joined, the pool closing is a major downside to me.

My current membership is a yearly subscription paid upfront that cost €230. When my current membership runs out there is no option to pay up front for another year. In the new system I must pay a €29 joining fee and then €29/month giving a total for the year of €377, that’s a percentage increase of 50%.

So it’s no pool and a 50% subscription increase.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

strongback wrote:
    Any thoughts?

He was on the radio a couple of weeks ago explaining this. Bobby Means Business or something like that.

As you stated he will no longer have pools. This is the 2nd time he tried this. Big outcry last time & he backed down. This time he doesn't care if he loses a few members. It's far cheaper than running the pool.

The annual membership is gone. Most gyms operate monthly rather than annually now. He struggled to refund the portion of the memberships when he was closed for the last year & said he would never offer 12 months upfront again.

It is what it is. I doubt you will find membership, with or without a pool, for the price he was charging for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    He was on the radio a couple of weeks ago explaining this. Bobby Means Business or something like that.

As you stated he will no longer have pools. This is the 2nd time he tried this. Big outcry last time & he backed down. This time he doesn't care if he loses a few members. It's far cheaper than running the pool.

The annual membership is gone. Most gyms operate monthly rather than annually now. He struggled to refund the portion of the memberships when he was closed for the last year & said he would never offer 12 months upfront again.

It is what it is. I doubt you will find membership, with or without a pool, for the price he was charging for the year

I agree it was a great deal at €250/ year with the pool. I would be prepared to pay more if the pool was kept open.

The price hike up to €377 without a pool is not justified to me, the gym is often packed. While I think it’s a clean enough gym the management on the gym floor is very poor. No putting dumbbells back, people reluctant to work in and share machines, trainers not having a clue how to lift being allowed to train away. An old fashioned gym owner or manager could whip the place into shape in no time.

I have been going to gyms for over 30 years and in many countries ( including Golds Venice) and every gym owner I've met was delighted to get a yearly membership paid up front, the reason being it’s money in the bank up front and many people end up rarely training.

I am a member of Ben Dunne and I used it for swimming. I also joined a Flye Fit beside where I work and because I was paying monthly I had no problem cancelling the subscription when it didn't suit me to train there. With a yearly subscription I would have struck it out.

There are pros and cons to what Ben Dunne is doing but I don’t see how he can come on the radio anymore saying his gyms offer more for less money. He is turning his gyms with great facilities into warehouse style Flye Fits. He is racing to the bottom and fast.

I have a feeling the hardline attitude Ben is taking at the moment will change when COVID settles down. I just hope he doesn't infill the swimming pools.

strongback wrote:
    I have a feeling the hardline attitude Ben is taking at the moment will change when COVID settles down. I just hope he doesn't infill the swimming pools.

I never rated Ben as a businessman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Depends on the gym itself.

€31.50 a month for gym membership is still dirt cheap.

You'd barely get to the cinema with your partner for that price.

He's obviously an extremely wealthy man from when he was bought out by Dunnes Stores. The gyms seem like they are a play thing for him. Something to keep his hand in with.

The Q&A section on his website is brutally blunt in the way it describes the cutting of facilities and services. It wouldn't encourage anybody to train there. Not much business savvy or PR to be seen.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »
    Depends on the gym itself.

€31.50 a month for gym membership is still dirt cheap.

You'd barely get to the cinema with your partner for that price.

It’s not bad but it used to be €20 (€230/year) a month for a lot more services.

There's no classes anymore either.

Maybe COVID is being used to make things more expensive. COVID won’t go on forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

strongback wrote: »

His busines model since last recession has been to be the cheapest and having a pool doesn't fit that model.
    Know a few people who used to work there and the monthly maintenance costs are enormous.
    The pool in old Total Fitness is gone years.
    The pool has been infilled, jacuzzi is gone too.
    He wants people in and out the door with minimum costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It's very clear he doesn't understand advertising or the internet. I'll wait before saying he doesn't understand gyms.

ongarite wrote: »
    His busines model since last recession has been to be the cheapest and having a pool doesn't fit that model.
    Know a few people who used to work there and the monthly maintenance costs are enormous.
    The pool in old Total Fitness is gone years.
    The pool has been infilled, jacuzzi is gone too.
    He wants people in and out the door with minimum costs.

I'll be in Northwood tomorrow. I drive past three gyms to get there. It was the pool that brought me there.

I think Ben is making a big mistake with the pool, it was a great facility and people would pay more to use it.

Ben spent millions on building Northwood, FlyeFit would operate out of a wheelie bin.

Westwood is €70/ month, Sportslink is around €60/month. Northwood with a pool could get €45/month.

All that money spent on bespoke Ben Dunne gym buildings and for what....... to turn them into FlyeFits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

he is making these changes from a positon of knowing more than anyone else about the current situation with regard to his gyms.Sometimes drastic changes in price or circumstance suggest and do or die attitude to the business and I suspect punters will vote with their feet if unhappy.The monthly charge seems like a move that should suit most customers better than an annual charge and I note the comment above about the maintenance cost of pools explains his attitude to the pool closures.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote:
    It's very clear he doesn't understand advertising or the internet. I'll wait before saying he doesn't understand gyms.

I'm sure he pays someone that understands gyms

dublin49 wrote: »
    he is making these changes from a positon of knowing more than anyone else about the current situation with regard to his gyms.Sometimes drastic changes in price or circumstance suggest and do or die attitude to the business and I suspect punters will vote with their feet if unhappy.The monthly charge seems like a move that should suit most customers better than an annual charge and I note the comment above about the maintenance cost of pools explains his attitude to the pool closures.

Before there was a choice between annual or monthly subscriptions.

Anybody who joined because of the pool is more likely to run out their membership and move on. Same for people who went for classes or spinning etc. Some might like a shower after training when COVID calms down.

It all seems a bit drastic to me. A bit bull headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'm sure he pays someone that understands gyms

I hope so. Closing the pools makes sense to me, but I'm not too sure about only doing monthly memberships. If he had bother paying back refunds of annual memberships, that would imply he needs the cashflow up front. Monthly memberships are easier to cancel for the customer, and there's the ongoing cost of collecting direct debits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

McGaggs wrote: »
    I hope so. Closing the pools makes sense to me, but I'm not too sure about only doing monthly memberships. If he had bother paying back refunds of annual memberships, that would imply he needs the cashflow up front. Monthly memberships are easier to cancel for the customer, and there's the ongoing cost of collecting direct debits.

they may feel punters wont want to stump up annual subcriptions anymore as there is no guarantee we won't have more lockdowns and it may be one of the lasting effects of Covid that annual fees disappear.I would imagine the same is
    true if not more so for Golf clubs where I think I read refunds were not given back in some cases .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Being blunt here but the pool & associated facilities were the favourite of the retired and elderly in Blanchardstown branch.
    They were the members that kicked up stink first time he tried to close pool.

He has big competition in D15 from better run, newer gyms with much younger members.
    Either cater to a "dying" market or pivot to the young population of D15.
    The older members have gone to Westmanstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Seems crazy... My local club vitae called me last week to ask if I wanted to keep my monthly membership going when they return. 25 per month for pool, gym and sauna and steam room.

Have missed it so can't wait to get back.

ongarite wrote: »
    Being blunt here but the pool & associated facilities were the favourite of the retired and elderly in Blanchardstown branch.
    They were the members that kicked up stink first time he tried to close pool.

He has big competition in D15 from better run, newer gyms with much younger members.
    Either cater to a "dying" market or pivot to the young population of D15.
    The older members have gone to Westmanstown.

In Northwood the pool was a favourite of people who liked swimming. I can’t remember too many pensioners there in the evenings when I swam.

What the few posts on this thread are showing is people are not that bothered with not having a pool in their gym. I wonder how have used swimming for exercise? It is often said swimming is up there as one of the best forms exercises anybody can do.

Is anyone bothered the classes and spinning are gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Nobody swims in pools anymore.

It’s all sea swimming, dry robes and watching the sun come up. Smugly.

Nobody swims in pools anymore.

It’s all sea swimming, dry robes and watching the sun come up. Smugly.

I was in the sea yesterday evening and the night before. It’s great in the summer, floating on my back in the water with rays coming down on my face.

It’s not the same in January even with neoprene.

The dry robe is the greatest invention since the cheque book and pen!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Was this not his pricing when he started out, I remember going out to the one at kcr and it was around 400 maybe more if I recall.

He definitely done it right having it around the 250 and a pool but I'd say he will lose out.

Having a pool and all the chemical in it would make it safer with covid then the gym part itself.

• Advertisement

Pat_bottom wrote: »
    Seems crazy... My local club vitae called me last week to ask if I wanted to keep my monthly membership going when they return. 25 per month for pool, gym and sauna and steam room.

Have missed it so can't wait to get back.

That’s a great price for Club Vitae. I'd take that offer myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was a member of BDN and kept getting bad ear infections - always used the pool - finally figured it out when I repeatedly saw then sluicing the water from the mens showers/toilet floors into the pool area & pool. Finally stopped using the pool and never renewed my membership. Stopped getting ear infections that needed medical intervention too. By that stage the sauna had been shut permanently due to ‘abuse’ - people despite warnings persistantly throwing water & oils on the element. Sad day really - it used to be a great gym & a very good price no matter how you paid it.

When he started focusing on the soviet style lifting floors and weights areas and let dumbells loose on the floor to ‘advise’ people who clearly wern’t competent or just didn’t care the writing was on the wall. The gangs of men clustered against the studio walls when the womens exercise classes were enough to ensure people started to avoid or stayed away in their droves. Arn’t we supposed to be - better - than that as a society?

You’re better to cut your losses and join somewhere by monthly direct debit & drop the flyfit - westwood might be double the price if BD but it has the 50m pool - and a lot more. Even thou its water suite dosn’t compare (stuck in the 1980’s & looks like its not been updated since) you are getting a miles apart better pool & gym & you know it’ll be there next month - no dunnes messing. He owns the company - he’s not going to change, sadly. And they have/had pre covid all the classes, virtual classes, spin, tennis, climbing wall etc as well as really fun & generous Christmas party on site - happier times!

Was this not his pricing when he started out, I remember going out to the one at kcr and it was around 400 maybe more if I recall.

He definitely done it right having it around the 250 and a pool but I'd say he will lose out.

Having a pool and all the chemical in it would make it safer with covid then the gym part itself.

I have memories of paying €400+ when Northwood first opened. I don’t think there was a monthly payment option back then either.

I was a member of BDN and kept getting bad ear infections - always used the pool - finally figured it out when I repeatedly saw then sluicing the water from the mens showers/toilet floors into the pool area & pool. Finally stopped using the pool and never renewed my membership. Stopped getting ear infections that needed medical intervention too. By that stage the sauna had been shut permanently due to ‘abuse’ - people despite warnings persistantly throwing water & oils on the element. Sad day really - it used to be a great gym & a very good price no matter how you paid it.

When he started focusing on the soviet style lifting floors and weights areas and let dumbells loose on the floor to ‘advise’ people who clearly wern’t competent or just didn’t care the writing was on the wall. The gangs of men clustered against the studio walls when the womens exercise classes were enough to ensure people started to avoid or stayed away in their droves. Arn’t we supposed to be - better - than that as a society?

You’re better to cut your losses and join somewhere by monthly direct debit & drop the flyfit - westwood might be double the price if BD but it has the 50m pool - and a lot more. Even thou its water suite dosn’t compare (stuck in the 1980’s & looks like its not been updated since) you are getting a miles apart better pool & gym & you know it’ll be there next month - no dunnes messing. He owns the company - he’s not going to change, sadly. And they have/had pre covid all the classes, virtual classes, spin, tennis, climbing wall etc as well as really fun & generous Christmas party on site - happier times!

I'm thinking of joining somewhere with a pool that does family membership.

Westwood: I heard it’s around €1500 for a family but I'm not sure on this.
    Club Vitae: €1035 for a family
    Sportslink: €785 for a family

Westwood has everything and is close by. 50m pool, gym, tennis, classes
    Club Vitae has a great range of classes and spinning etc, a decent pool, gym not as good.
    Sportslink membership only provides for pool and gym. Classes, tennis etc paid on top. Good pool for kids with proper slides, lazy river etc.

The Irene Club is also close by and it has a gym, tennis courts, pitch and putt etc for €255/year/person. Small kids are gratis. It would be sea swimming with this option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Since Ben Dunne Gym opens I only see downgrading of services.

- Sauna closed for good. (Steam only left not sure if they would open now)
    - Treadmill area hijacked by classes with extremely loud music box
    - Pool closed
    - And when I got email stating that shower & changing room wont be available on reopening I asked for refund. Few month later got one.
    Good bye Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Not only has he got rid of the pool area but there is no showers, no classes, less staff on the premises and no changing rooms and yet he wants more money, I really think it could back fire on him.

Dubdude wrote: »
    Not only has he got rid of the pool area but there is no showers, no classes, less staff on the premises and no changing rooms and yet he wants more money, I really think it could back fire on him.

Aren't some of the above temporary covid restrictions? I'm pretty sure changing rooms & showers are banned by covid regulations for the moment. Classes can't be the healthiest of things at the moment too

Aren't some of the above temporary covid restrictions? I'm pretty sure changing rooms & showers are banned by covid regulations for the moment. Classes can't be the healthiest of things at the moment too

Don't know if there is a ban on changing rooms or shower but I know some gyms have both open. Others have them temporarily closed them but he has them gone and classes are totally gone too.

Dubdude wrote:
    Don't know if there is a ban on changing rooms or shower but I know some gyms have both open. Others have them temporarily closed them but he has them gone and classes are totally gone too.

There is a ban on them. Same in clothes shops. Not supposed to be using changing rooms. Buy clothes, try them on at home and return if they don't fit.

It's only for a few months & fingers crossed we'll get back to normal

• Advertisement

There is a ban on them. Same in clothes shops. Not supposed to be using changing rooms. Buy clothes, try them on at home and return if they don't fit.

It's only for a few months & fingers crossed we'll get back to normal

Where does it say they are banned from opening? Swimming pools are now allowed back open how can you arrive and leave from your swim without the use of a changing room???

Well as I said above I know of a gym beside me and changing room and showers and pool are open and always have been.

Advertisement