Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend wants to stay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 waterfordwendy

Thanks, some helpful posts in here! I feel bad but we all have people we like but do not want to take in for a weekend. I think I'll go with the poster who said just be direct that you find it too much having people stay over. If I make an excuse for that particular weekend the person would not take the hint and just suggest another weekend. I will add that this person has other friends in my town, and not just me, so it's likely they feel the same way.

Also, I know if I let the person stay once it will become a regular thing. I like seeing people but I really value my own space in the evenings/nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If they smoke in your house, without asking permission, that’s usually a non smoking house.... they are a gimp of the highest order... seriously who would do that ? Get invited to the house of a non smoker and light up ?

here somebody needs a smoke, they would go outside....not wait to be invited, just use their initiative and common sense and go...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Invite them around but then tell them that your favourite music is now Merzbow. You have to listen to Merzbow. You have to listen to him every night in order to unwind and relax, and you have to play it really really really loud.

After they've made up some excuse to immediately get the hell out your house, then you can get back to listening to some Merzbow

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

In fairness the person smokes at the door but the smell of weed blows all over my house and into the neighbours windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Not sure if you are familiar with the documentary 'Get him to the greek' but in these situations it is important to Alpha dog and become the beast that your -mate is trying to portray.. Do the party do the drugs but dont do it in your own place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Fils wrote: »
    You’re the one dreaming up of sex act with some ones daughter, weirdo.
    Fils wrote: »
    Tell them you dont do anal any more due to COVID.

You mean as opposed to you making this statement to the OP? You think this is a good suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

IThis person loves to drink, smoke and can be a bit invasive when they visit in terms of inviting others over and banging doors late.

:confused:

Well then, that would be a big fat NO from me.

What's the best way to approach this honestly and directly? To be honest I would not want anyone staying over, a few hours of company is enough for me. I am sure we all have friends we would not like to have stay with over a certain length of time

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I would be very happy to meet a friend I have not seen in a while, who wants to visit me for a weekend from another town. This person loves to drink, smoke and can be a bit invasive when they visit in terms of inviting others over and banging doors late. I suppose I was the same 10 years ago.

As I said I would really like a catch up with this friend but not over a full night and certainly not a weekend. 5 hours would be enough before the smell of smoke becomes too much for me.

Am I a bad friend? What would you do? Laying out ground rules has been a waste of time in the past.
    Listen friend if you don't want me to stay, I get it, I'll take my bag of weed elsewhere & get stoned:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

You mean as opposed to you making this statement to the OP? You think this is a good suggestion?

Your daughter sex thing is just creepy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What's the best way to approach this honestly and directly? To be honest I would not want anyone staying over, a few hours of company is enough for me. I am sure we all have friends we would not like to have stay with over a certain length of time

Be honest. Tell them you don't have the energy to host for an entire weekend. The smell of weed gives you a headache and you're taking a break from alcohol for health reasons.

How far are we talking about? Would you be able to visit them for a fee hours?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Are yee going to be having sex too?

beertons wrote: »
    Are yee going to be having sex too?

Certainly not

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Celmullet

We have a pretty solid excuse as a society at the moment. "Can't have anyone stay over... Covid". Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Certainly not

5 bottles of merlot and that may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ZuM16 wrote: »
    Friend of mine had the same issue. He was introduced to this guy by another friend who then quickly left and then for the past 6 years this guy has been showing up randomly for a few weeks at my friends house. It wouldnt be too bad except the guy is the most boring person in the world. Just sits there on the couch staring, doesn't want to watch tv or have a cup of tea so they just sit around with these long protracted silences! One time my friend was taking a bath and the guy just came in and started using the toilet.

Anyway in the end the guy was struck by lightening while playing mini golf. He was fine though and still calls by each year, just sitting there, on the couch. Not a bad painter though.

Funny ****er though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Celmullet wrote: »
    We have a pretty solid excuse as a society at the moment. "Can't have anyone stay over... Covid". Job done.

Works for 2 weeks, then he asks again and you're at the need to take your own death stage

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

"We're / I'm not having people stay over at the moment"

If it's pushed, not that it's any of their business, just say you're getting some work done.

Advertisement