Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend wants to stay

Options
  • 04-06-2021 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I would be very happy to meet a friend I have not seen in a while, who wants to visit me for a weekend from another town. This person loves to drink, smoke and can be a bit invasive when they visit in terms of inviting others over and banging doors late. I suppose I was the same 10 years ago.

As I said I would really like a catch up with this friend but not over a full night and certainly not a weekend. 5 hours would be enough before the smell of smoke becomes too much for me.

Am I a bad friend? What would you do? Laying out ground rules has been a waste of time in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I would be very happy to meet a friend I have not seen in a while, who wants to visit me for a weekend from another town. This person loves to drink, smoke and can be a bit invasive when they visit in terms of inviting others over and banging doors late. I suppose I was the same 10 years ago.

As I said I would really like a catch up with this friend but not over a full night and certainly not a weekend. 5 hours would be enough before the smell of smoke becomes too much for me.

Am I a bad friend? What would you do? Laying out ground rules has been a waste of time in the past.

Doesnt sound like you'll enjoy it, if you're not going to enjoy them visiting I'd make my excuses and suggest an alternative get together that you would enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

That would be a hard no from me! Sounds like friend is looking for a free loading weekend and has just said this is happening. Make your excuses, blame covid, whatever but I would bail from that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭gifted

How do you know your friend hasn't changed like you have in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I just think there kinda rude is said friend to expect to stay as well as visit. Just make an excuse and say you have an elderly relative staying who has been vaccinated but is still very frightened of covid and wouldn’t be comfortable. Or that you are getting the whole house painted.
    I don’t know how far away you guys live from each other but you could meet half way? Or hotels are open now they could stay in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You could just say that you don't allow smoking in the house.

Which is how it is in most homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

You got to them and come home whenever suits you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Just set ground rules. It’ll be great to catch up again but we won’t be…*insert what you said*. If they don’t accept, they can stay at the BnB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Tell them you're after catching Covid. Might as well make some use of the ****er that's destroyed society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

This is after hours.. you may put up and put out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Turns out most of my friendships were circumstantial friendships; the pub. Most of my calls to these people for a chat over the past few months were ignored, even meeting on the street they didn't know what to say to me sober and without a pint in hand. Looking back I guess I never invested time into making friends outside the pub scene, a real regret at the moment. Just an eye opener and something I did not expect to discover in my late 30s.

Has anyone else lost friendships in the past year?

Person who makes friends in pubs caught up in "my friends like smoking and drinking" shocker.

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    Person who makes friends in pubs caught up in "my friends like smoking and drinking" shocker.

Nothing like some good old fashioned AH judgement to start a Friday morning! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Nothing like some good old fashioned AH judgement to start a Friday morning! :rolleyes:

Watch the likes roll in though

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Tell them you dont do anal any more due to COVID.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Let me get this straight. You are a non smoker and this person comes and freely smokes in your home??

Do you leave out and ash tray and tell them to make themselves at home? If not, then I would have to tell this person to politely f*ck off!!!!!!!

Do you drink and stay up late with them? Or are they using your home as a party pad without your participation?

xzanti wrote: »
    Let me get this straight. You are a non smoker and this person comes and freely smokes in your home??

Do you leave out and ash tray and tell them to make themselves at home? If not, then I would have to tell this person to politely f*ck off!!!!!!!

Do you drink and stay up late with them? Or are they using your home as a party pad without your participation?

The op has dreamt this fairy tale up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Tell them you've switched to a vegan naked lifestyle. When in your home you believe in not wearing any clothes. Make sure they're comfortable with having to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tell em not until you are both vaccinated, that'll buy you time. Then you go to them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fils wrote: »

I'm not so sure. Some people are what are known in life as milquetoasts.

Is she good looking, OP?

He searched a 4 month old post from the op for that.

• Advertisement

It’s really unbelievable all right. Way out there.

Op these kinds of posts are better in personal issues

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

make it so it's impossible to stay over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I've had similar situations. Just say you don't want to strain the friendship and you're picky over who you let stay etc. Do it in a text so they can't interrupt and will take it in. Yeah it seems cowardly to text, but otherwise you're open to emotional manipulation.

Your gaff, your rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. Some people are what are known in life as milquetoasts.

That's the second time in a month that I've seen that word, having never previously encountered it during my >60 years on this planet!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dubmany

Accept the invitation but take the lead in organising activities. Choose activities that don't involve so much drink, visit some historic sites, go to the cinema, a café rather than a pub etc.

Tell them you dont do anal any more due to COVID.

Nothing like suggesting to someones daughter that they dont engage in sex acts like that! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ZuM16

Friend of mine had the same issue. He was introduced to this guy by another friend who then quickly left and then for the past 6 years this guy has been showing up randomly for a few weeks at my friends house. It wouldnt be too bad except the guy is the most boring person in the world. Just sits there on the couch staring, doesn't want to watch tv or have a cup of tea so they just sit around with these long protracted silences! One time my friend was taking a bath and the guy just came in and started using the toilet.

Anyway in the end the guy was struck by lightening while playing mini golf. He was fine though and still calls by each year, just sitting there, on the couch. Not a bad painter though.

Nothing like suggesting to someones daughter that they dont engage in sex acts like that! :rolleyes:

You’re the one dreaming up of sex act with some ones daughter, weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,012 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tell him not to smoke when in your house. Your gaff, your rules. If they aren't cool with that, tell to fuck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,012 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

antodeco wrote: »
    Tell them you've switched to a vegan naked lifestyle. When in your home you believe in not wearing any clothes. Make sure they're comfortable with having to do the same

In this house Thursday is nude day...

981985c3064bd01a0ea65b847234bd43.jpg

Advertisement