Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hangovers finally getting worse in my 30s. Lasting days. Have I officially become old

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Have you started to think about the impact of getting drunk in terms of how bad the hangover will be and can you really afford to lose a day, or two, or more for the sake of 4-6 hours merriment.
    Because when that moment comes, then you can truly say you are no longer a young wan. :(

And of course there will always be some who will say that they never think like that, they're up for a session any weekend and still at it on a lot of them even though they're 45+ or 50+ or whatever.
    Those people are old too, they just haven't grown up yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,153 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The onset of maturity - tiime to put away the childish substance abuse and engage in some more sophisticated drug abuse. You're a grown-up now - head to a forest and knock back some proper mind-altering psychedelics.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

So, I have a beer fridge at home that is filled will all manner of craft beers which I love but I have them segregated up by alcohol content. I have a zero to 0.5% shelf, a 2%-4% shelf, a 4%-6% shelf and a final one for special beers (you will find that a lot of craft beers are extremely strong). I know this sounds sad but it does allow me to moderate my alcohol content throughout an evening. I find that I can have max 2-3 cans around the 5% mark before I need to retreat to weaker beers and after 11ish it is non-alcohol beers only.

I tried something similar the last All Ireland final day, plan was to stick with the 3% ones because I had plans the next day, and only go stronger if I was celebrating. Unfortunately I woke up with the yips of excitement for match day. The weak ones were gone by throw-in, the stronger ones by full time, and I ended up asleep in the garden, wrapped in a Mayo flag, with a half drank glass of peach schnapps and ritz (the dregs of the shed) stale beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

mid thirties the hangovers got way worse for me but i still did them... in my 40's now and its just not worth it anymore...especially with young kids..
    hungover and crabby and barking at them for no reason...

still ill have the very odd blow out

Heh just realised I haven't had a drink in my 30s. Did enough right up til just beforehand to cover me for life though :P

One massive variable with hangovers is smoking. If you quit smoking you might not notice a massive difference but if you then have even a fag or 2 while on a session you'll notice an incredible difference the following morning. They're pure ****in evil.

Right up til I stopped drinking though my hangover were mostly on a downward trend but I did drink more days than I skipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My hangovers got considerably worse once I turned 30, I didn't actually know this was a thing so wasn't expecting it. I've a friend I used to go out with a lot who is 4 years younger who used to give me shít about getting old and not being able to handle it anymore. He's 31 now and can handle the big nights out way less than I could at that age, and I warned him it would happen too.

To be honest I'm much happier now with my relationship with alcohol. My idea of a good night out has changed from going into town from 10pm til 4am on a Friday to just going up the local with the wife for dinner and a few pints after work. Already booked in for my first outdoor dinner and pints on Monday :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Not to worry op. In a few short years you'll be 40+ with a couple of squealers in tow and you won't have either the time or the inclination to go on benders. That situation will then naturally evolve into a period of epiphany where you will wonder why the hell you put so much energy and money into poisoning yourself with alcohol in your younger years. You will then focus your precious fleeting moments of "me-time" into late night meditation sessions and yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I tried something similar the last All Ireland final day, plan was to stick with the 3% ones because I had plans the next day, and only go stronger if I was celebrating. Unfortunately I woke up with the yips of excitement for match day. The weak ones were gone by throw-in, the stronger ones by full time, and I ended up asleep in the garden, wrapped in a Mayo flag, with a half drank glass of peach schnapps and ritz (the dregs of the shed) stale beside me.

mayo flag sure youre not celebrating anytime soon :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't find hangovers got any worse my mid-30's, at least not so far. What really gets me is tiredness more than anything, rarely get more than about 4 hours sleep after a heavy session and just feel drained all the next day.

Thankfully never get headaches. Once after a wedding I woke up with a pounding headache that lasted a few hours, it was the only time that's ever happened. I remember thinking if that was considered normal I'd literally have to give up alcohol.

And of course the dreaded two day session. Still do the odd one but they are hard going, feel like an emotional wreck on the third day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They never got worse for me physically, they were always terrible, but as you get older you give yourself more sh*t for effing up your routine and I always find myself being awfully critical of myself when I'm hungover, it wasn't as bad when I was younger as the night out and kissing some wan would make up for the pain of the next day.
    If I'm badly hungover now I can't go for a jog, I don't eat healthy, work can be an absolute mare, I question wtf I'm doing with my life and so on.
    Keeping myself in check is key, I seem to be able to have about 6 beers/pints without being drastically set back the next day.
    Oh and as a terrible sleeper, booze can mess up my sleep pattern for days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Butson

Physically I'm rarely sick from drink but mentally, oh jaysus.

The day after a session, I am all over the place. I'm looking around at the world thinking this place looks very strange and what the hell am I doing here! Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

I'd always try and say to myself or anyone else in the horrors, "you didn't shoot anyone did ya?" - because that's what the intensity of multiway day bender fear feels like, as if you hid some heinous act like covering up a murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Can't do it anymore either. Had the lads over for the first time since last march last Saturday night. Plan was a few cans, ended up drinking 12 of them and took into her pink gin. Well it was Wednesday when I came round, still limping from a slip where I managed the splits. From now on only a few beers, Thank feck for WFHbor I would have missed 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I have never got this so called "fear" or general anxiety/seeing stuff after alcohol

What do you guys be drinking

Me too, I’ve had some dreadful hangovers, been ‘unwell’ but never a ‘fear’ or anything close.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Well for me, nights out are a lot fewer and farther between than in my 20s, or even 30s.
    Marriage, kids and grown up responsibilities really kill the desire to skull pints in a back room of a pub at 4 in the morning.
    Anyway, unless you're a complete sad case, you're not going to want to be pissed in a nightclub or pub into your 30s or god forbid 40s.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

I don't understand, you became a man at 20, 30 or 40?

You sound like a good laugh by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There's no way you didn't get hangovers. More than likely you just had experienced them less and it didn't feel like you were losing out on time as much which I think is the real killer with them. My worst hangovers were when I started drinking. Plus, going hard for two days in a row and then feeling ropey is hardly a sign of getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Drink smarter, not harder

Advertisement