Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hangovers finally getting worse in my 30s. Lasting days. Have I officially become old

Options
  • 03-06-2021 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Looking for hangover stories from fellow old people.

I went on a bit of a bender last weekend due to the decent weather.

Drank lots of cans on Friday. Got langered.

Woke up hungover. Just as I sobered up in the afternoon, laid into more cans and takeaway pints. Got langered. Shur why not, weather hasn't been this good in ages.

I'm still feeling the aftershocks of that one. Hangover is gone but there are remnants of general anxiety.

What I've learned is: the days of getting drunk two days in a row are over.

If I am drinking: no more super strong polish stuff. Stick to more watery beers.

Fellow people in their 30s+, do you get lingering anxiety after a fairly hefty session?

How many days do your hangovers last?

I am never drinking again until at least June 19th. And I'll be drinking just 2 meaures of Baileys in my slippers and a couple of rich tea biscuits.

Comments

I'm in my 40s and can't do hangovers anymore. People around me would be the same and avoid going over there limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The key is to drink every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

accensi0n wrote: »
    The key is to drink every day.

Drinking a little every day is actually grand health wise. Just that a lot of people aren’t able to stop at a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Fellow people in their 30s+, do you get lingering anxiety after a fairly hefty session?

Physically I’m still fine after a barrel of booze. Pretty tired, but not too much different than my 20s.

Psychologically is a different story. The ‘fear’, anxiety, and paranoia lasts for days now. That’s usually accompanied by a healthy dose of self-loathing!

The only thing that works for me is to get out for a run the following evening / night to sweat it out of my system. That usually gets things moving in the right direction again. I love my nights out but I’m questioning if it’s worth the multi-day downer afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I was never a big drinker. But there came a point for me where the hangover wasn't worth it. Took too long to recover fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You consider people in their 30s old?

Hangovers are certainly a thing in my 30s and were something to laugh at in my 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's not your age that is affecting your hangovers, but you're likely just drinking more than you realize and used to do before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭eggy81

I find the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Edit: but then I am absolutely buckled right now. Probably be saying things like never again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

For me the bad hangovers are like you're living in some nightmarish parallel world, not worth it. The worst one I ever had was after a multiday bender that lasted for at least a week, I wasn't physically ill it was the psychological side of it, had to ring in sick to work for a few days and when I did get back I was on constant edge. Couldn't sleep, felt like crying all the time. I did something silly when I was drunk but also something you'd just laugh off when you were younger. My mental health can not be great at times and being hungover makes everything 100x worse.

Be off it a month off it this weekend, aiming for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No more mad ones for me, rarely drink heavy anymore, a session could leave me bed ridden and down two days pay

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Onion Bahji

In my thirties. Drink as much as ever - which is plenty. Not bothered by hangovers. Anxiety is better than when I was in my twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Mad suggestion to you all:
    Stop drinking alcohol.
    You know you’re not obliged to drink, yeah?
    It’s not a national duty.
    You’re destroying your body, you’re damaging your brain.
    If something makes you feel like **** then stop doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

We'd be daytime drinkers these days. Start early like for a gaa or rugby match at 2 pm, drink through until 11pm or midnight, hit the bed and you'd be grand the next day. If you stay up until 4 to 5 a.m. you're asking for trouble really.
    Can still be tired bit wouldn't have the roaring hangovers from younger days hitting nightclubs and drinking stupid stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I did something silly when I was drunk but also something you'd just laugh off when you were younger..

Well years ago the worse you'd get is a slaggin off. Now every prick has their phone on standby ready to put your shenanigans on face-tik.

God be with the days eh? No camera phones or social media

I have never got this so called "fear" or general anxiety/seeing stuff after alcohol

What do you guys be drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

YHOczi.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

I went on a bit of a bender last weekend due to the decent weather.

Drank lots of cans on Friday. Got langered.

Woke up hungover. Just as I sobered up in the afternoon, laid into more cans and takeaway pints. Got langered. Shur why not, weather hasn't been this good in ages.

I'm still feeling the aftershocks of that one. Hangover is gone but there are remnants of general anxiety.

What I've learned is: the days of getting drunk two days in a row are over.

If I am drinking: no more super strong polish stuff. Stick to more watery beers.

I am never drinking again until at least June 19th. And I'll be drinking just 2 meaures of Baileys in my slippers and a couple of rich tea biscuits.

It's more to do with the amount you drink than age, and People in their 30's aren't old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I have never got this so called "fear" or general anxiety/seeing stuff after alcohol

Anxiety from alcohol is caused by withdrawal symptoms. It must be some sesh to get withdrawal. One of the big mistakes people make is having a feed before bed. Try and resist the temptation of food before u pass out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Anxiety from alcohol is caused by withdrawal symptoms. It must be some sesh to get withdrawal. One of the big mistakes people make is having a feed before bed. Try and resist the temptation of food before u pass out.

Don't drink much at all now but I always found "soakage" to work well.

Problem is that whatever you have from a chipper is laced with salt so in the morning would be gasping for water!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Xcellor wrote: »
    Don't drink much at all now but I always found "soakage" to work well.

Problem is that whatever you have from a chipper is laced with salt so in the morning would be gasping for water!
    The issue with eating before sleeping after a heap of booze is the body can't process food and alcohol at the same time so it does the food first then the alcohol so if there was no food in the way the booze would be processed quicker and the hangover would be someway done before u wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Two to Three Pints of water with a panadol (or two) before you go to bed takes the edge off.

Always worked for me after a heavy night on the booze.

Do you find that in your everyday life you are suppressing and blocking out fears, anxiety, depressing intrusive thoughts, emotions in general? If so, what might be happening is that when you land yourself in a hangover, you no longer have the mental resilience to continue to suppress and avoid all of the above and you get sucked into the dark bleak hole you are usually staving off in everyday life. That's been my experience of hangovers since I was 17 and I'm in my early 30s now.

It's strange; when growing up I never saw hangovers as depicted in popular culture eg. cartoons, tv shows, featuring what we nowadays describe as "the fear". My younger self imagined hangovers as being a more "wholesome" (for want of a better word) kind of suffering - just a sense of feeling physically sick and having a headache due to having too much fun. I didn't envisage it involving a dark, disturbed sense of wrongness with reality, an awareness of mortality and evilness about reality, a paralysed will, dissociation and numbness. I believe people nowadays experience hangovers worse than people in the past as the percentage of the population who live with what they would describe as "bad mental health" seems to have balooned since the late 2000s.

I never heard anybody, in my own life or in popular culture, describe the experience or set of symptoms we now describe as "the fear" during the mid 2000s or earlier (for example, on any of RTE2's night time shows, in the days before widespread internet use) - yet nowadays many people who have been badly hungover can relate to the description of it. I believe changes which have occurred since the late 2000s have rewired our whole experience of life and made the population in general more susceptible to bad mental ill, but that is a different discussion.

Since April of last year, I have only drank semi-heavily one night last summer, and had one or two beers a handful of times since then (as opposed to maybe two heavy nights out per month prior to then) and I feel much better for it. Having a long stretch of time free of alcohol gives you time to process your thoughts and resolve issues without having to keep starting from scratch every time you go on a mad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

For starters, I'd stop drinking your booze out of your footwear.
    Use glasses like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

For starters, I'd stop drinking your booze out of your footwear.
    Use glasses like the rest of us.

But then how would I see?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

In my 20s, a quiet night was 4-6 pints, a big night was 8-12, or a mixture of pints and shorts. I would occasionally get a bad hangover, but usually it would be more of a fog that meant I was good for nothing in particular other than topping up or eating junk food. I did get bad anxiety / shame / guilt, but out and out sickness was rare unless I pushed it. Usually that just meant going for the cure, and another one or two full days at it.

I'm 38 now, and there's no rhyme nor reason to it. On the odd occasion I can have a big night out and feel reasonably ok. For the most part though, it ends up like last Friday / Saturday. I had 4 330ml cans, was in bed by 11, and was destroyed the next day. Bad stomach, banging headache, guilt for everything I've ever done in my life and some things I didn't do, for about 36 hours.

Every time I say it's not worth it though, I wait 2 days and the pint is calling me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i just dont want to waste my weekends with a 2 day hangover anymore so i dont mind a couple of pints (obviously not for a while in a pub) but much more and i just know the following days a write off. unless im drinking cask ale in a decent pub in the uk seems i can drink loads of that without a hangover. anything distributed by diageo in ireland just gives a massive headache the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Well for me, nights out are a lot fewer and farther between than in my 20s, or even 30s.
    Marriage, kids and grown up responsibilities really kill the desire to skull pints in a back room of a pub at 4 in the morning.
    Anyway, unless you're a complete sad case, you're not going to want to be pissed in a nightclub or pub into your 30s or god forbid 40s.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Lucky you. I had a panic attack one morning because I remembered getting into my car drunk the night before, crashing it into a wall, leaving it there and walking home to bed. Made it out to the road to see my car unharmed, parked where I left it, knowing full well I would never get into a car drunk. I had to go out 2 hours later and check because the same thing happened again.

That's the first one that comes to mind - it's not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Don't worry OP,
    It gets progressively worse.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Londonirish72

I'm in my late 40s and I have certainly found that even moderate amount of alcohol can have a pronounced impact on my sleep and how I feel the next day.

I do like alcohol and the relaxing feeling that you get with it but as I get older I have become increasingly wary of it's effects. I must admit though that I seem to be in a minority in my social circle for thinking like this.

I don't drink a huge amount any more and, moreover, I am very concious of the amount that I am drinking. I usually stick to beer because it is easier to monitor how much I am drinking vs say wine when someone else is topping up your glass.

So, I have a beer fridge at home that is filled will all manner of craft beers which I love but I have them segregated up by alcohol content. I have a zero to 0.5% shelf, a 2%-4% shelf, a 4%-6% shelf and a final one for special beers (you will find that a lot of craft beers are extremely strong). I know this sounds sad but it does allow me to moderate my alcohol content throughout an evening. I find that I can have max 2-3 cans around the 5% mark before I need to retreat to weaker beers and after 11ish it is non-alcohol beers only.

By doing this I find that I still enjoy social gatherings (I'm in the UK so the rules here have been relaxed for some time) but I don't end up wasting the next day because I am too tired or ill to achieve anything.

Advertisement