Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kolrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

I'm out and about til this evening, but will try to stay tuned on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

We will get started after Lassys reveal.

Welcome to the Bon Jovi round. This started out as a gimmick round but as everyone played it, I decided to make it official.

In 16th place with 4 points is
    EN

Bon⬨Jovi - Do What You Can

Heard the song: No

My rating: ★★★☆☆

Review

Not heard this song before. This is from their latest album and was kinda sceptical about it. Written about the pandemic and the dedication of the front line workers. But theme aside, what is the song like? Actually it is very catchy, much like their recent stuff but certainly one of the better songs. I did say in the OP that I like their early material better so this was quite risky. I’m not saying it paid off but you could have certainly done a lot worse. For something recent, a decent pick.

In 15th place with 5 points is
    Shane

Bon⬨Jovi - Keep the Faith

Heard the song: Yes

My rating: ★★★☆☆

Review

Their first song released after their short hiatus following the New Jersey world tour. Love the bassline which drives the song throughout. This song got loads of airplay on MTV. As this was around the time we started getting MTV in Ireland, I have great memories of this song, especially when viewing the promo video. Keep the faith was a great album with many great songs, there are a few better songs than this one one it so that's really why I give it a lower rating than I usually would. A very good song but an average pick if that makes sense, unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Shane....in the bottom 5?

Proof this is a bizarro world Walrus. :p

Really like Keep the faith. Good memories of my youth

In 14th place with 6 points is
    Beaker

Jon Bon Jovi - Blaze of Glory

My rating: ★★★★☆

Review

Yep, good pick. I remember when this album was released, I was really excited to buy it. Not the best song on the album but the most famous. Emilio Estevez wanted to use Wanted Dead or Alive for the theme for Young Guns 2 but Jon didn’t think the lyrics fitted the movie so wrote this song for it. A change in sound compared to the previous New Jersey album to fit the movie. A great promo video, got loads of airplay. Great lyrics, still remember them all. They always play this one at gigs, a real gem. Great pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Shane....in the bottom 5?

Proof this is a bizarro world Walrus. :p

Really like Keep the faith. Good memories of my youth

I'll happily take last in both the Bon Jovi and hair metal round. Not my music.

Those Young Guns movies, Blaze of Glory, big nostalgia for me.

I actually watched Young Guns earlier this year for the first time since childhood, and...it's still fúckin deadly :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

uh oh. . . seeing Blaze of Glory 14th worries me a bit. . .

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    I'll happily take last in both the Bon Jovi and hair metal round. Not my music.

Weirdo.:D

In 13th place with 7 points is
    Aris

Jon Bon Jovi - Miracle

Review

Yes, not a band song but one from Jon’s first solo outing. Not one you hear too often, Blaze being the most famous song from the album, but it really is an amazing album. A nice easy listen is this one. Famous also for the promo video which stars Matt LeBlanc. This album sounds quite different to the band's previous albums, less poppy I guess. Written for Young Guns 2, it is more acoustic sounding than rock/pop. This is probably my 2nd favourite song from the album, great pick.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    uh oh. . . seeing Blaze of Glory 14th worries me a bit. . .

Yeah, it's a shot through the heart alright.

Must be some big hitters coming ahead.

Those Young Guns movies, Blaze of Glory, big nostalgia for me.

I actually watched Young Guns earlier this year for the first time since childhood, and...it's still fúckin deadly :cool:

They rock. Bad ass keifer, smooth as butter Lou Diamond Philips.... and the main man Emmmmiiilllio

Kolido wrote: »
    a real gem. Great pick.
    14th place with 6 points

:eek:

beakerjoe wrote: »
    They rock. Bad ass keifer, smooth as butter Lou Diamond Philips.... and the main man Emmmmiiilllio

Great cast and chemistry, it had it all.

:eek:

:D they are all really good apart from the last 2.

In 11th place with 8 points is
    Bubbly, LeVar

Bon⬨Jovi - Born To Be My Baby

Review

I was well and truly a fan by the time this song was released. Anytime it came on the TV or radio I was just glued to it. This song brings back great memories. I still love listening to this one, very nostalgic. Maybe not one of their greatest and if I heard it for the first time today would I rate it as high, maybe not. That bassline at the beginning, na,na,na,na,na,na,....A fun promo video which kinda stands out also, the double take of the first chorus. Yep, this is great, love it.

In 10th place with 9 points is
    Ari

Bon⬨Jovi - Living in Sin

Review

This is something from their best period. The New Jersey album was stacked with great songs. This is certainly one of the best songs on the album and one you don’t hear too often. In fact, New Jersey set a record for the most singles from a glam metal album to reach the top 10 in the US with 5. This song was one of them. From the title you can probably guess the theme, a very bass and guitar driven song with vocals exceptionally delivered by Jon. Yet another surprise pick, well done.

In 7th place with 10 points is
    CeeJay, Necro, Seph

Bon⬨Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive

Review

Probably one of their most recognisable songs and one of the most popular songs at gigs. Great intro and brilliant guitar work by Richie. Been used in a lot of other media. A really polished song as was most of the slippery album. I think I know all the lyrics to this one, though I probably know every lyric on the album. Probably overplayed at this stage and a very predictable pick, the only reason I didn’t rate it higher.

• Advertisement

In 6th place with 11 points is
    Liz

Bon⬨Jovi - Lie To Me

Review

A very underrated song and a surprise pick here. Love this song. Great harmony between Jon and Richie. The bridge is a bit weak but Jon delivers a great vocal in this ballad. Another great promo video as were most of their videos around this time. The band changed their sound around this time. The These Days album moved to a more adult orientated and darker theme than the poppier sound they were known for previously. Probably not my favourite song from the album but certainly one of the better ones. As I said, a surprising and great pick here, well played.

I had 2 songs in mind for this round, the one I chose not to submit has not been entered by anyone else yet.

Might run it by you Kol after this round if it doesn't appear.

In 4th place with 12 points is
    Homer, Sawduck

Bon⬨Jovi - Always

Review

A lot of you are going to find this song cheesy and I suppose it is in a way. That said, I love it. One of the last great Bon Jovi songs before they changed their sound. Great promo video with a few well known actors. Richie and Dave on guitar and keyboards drive this one with Jon’s distinctive voice. A voice he has never really had since. Also one of their best selling singles. It was Alex John Such’s (original bass player) final single with the band. I also read, which I found slightly amusing, that the song was written for the movie Romeo is bleeding. However after a preview screening of the movie, Jon didn’t like it and removed the song from it. It was shelved at that point until an A&R exec found it and convinced them to record it as the lead single from their Best of Crossroads album.

Kolido wrote: »
    In 4th place with 12 points is
    Homer, Sawduck

Bon⬨Jovi - Always

Review

A lot of you are going to find this song cheesy and I suppose it is in a way. That said, I love it. One of the last great Bon Jovi songs before they changed their sound. Great promo video with a few well known actors. Richie and Dave on guitar and keyboards drive this one with Jon’s distinctive voice. A voice he has never really had since. Also one of their best selling singles. It was Alex John Such’s (original bass player) final single with the band. I also read, which I found slightly amusing, that the song was written for the movie Romeo is bleeding. However after a preview screening of the movie, Jon didn’t like it and removed the song from it. It was shelved at that point until an A&R exec found it and convinced them to record it as the lead single from their Best of Crossroads album.

Trying to record Always on cassette from Atlantic252 back in the day, getting the shift at the school disco, ahhhh the memories :D

Bottom and top 3
    Barna 77
    HillBilly4
    Purple
    Shelly
    Sinead
    Stu

In 17th place with 3 points is
    Hillbilly

Bon⬨Jovi - I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead

My rating: ★★☆☆☆

Review

Don’t know what it is about this song, I should like it more but never have. It sounds a bit funky and there is that prominent piano sound throughout. It is another crowd favourite. It has that little drum beat and guitar at the start, then the piano kicks in. Much better songs on the faith album but this is a good unpredictable pick. Why I don’t rate it higher, I can’t explain, unlucky at picking a decent song.

In 3rd place with 13 points is
    Shelly

Bon⬨Jovi - I'd Die For You

My rating:
    ★★★★★

Review

This is what I’m talking about. A great song from a great album. You could have gone with many of the well known songs but great idea picking this one. That keyboard intro is just awesome. Love the lyrics and this is a perfect Bon jovi sound. Can’t remember if I ever heard this one live. In a world that don’t know Romeo and Juliet, this is a superb pick.

Great pick Shelly.

In 18th place with 2 points is
    Purple

Bon⬨Jovi - Put The Boy Back In Cowboy

Heard the song: No

My rating: ★★☆☆☆

Review

What did I say in my OP. Of all the songs you had to choose from you go with this. I never heard it before and for good reason. I don’t think I have listened to all of The Lost Highway album. Bon jovi just went country around this time and I have no interest in these albums at all. I’m not sure what you were thinking, maybe you are trolling!

• Advertisement

Ok, now I'm nervous.

Advertisement