Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To good to be true... what am I missing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Deeec

Its bizzare to say the least, how did they get planning permission for that when it looks so out of place to say the least.

Also very odd the garden seems to of consumed a common area grass verge behind.

It looks very odd in relation to the other houses. Planning Permission could possibly be another issue with this house.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think that's actually the issue, oddly enough.

Reducing the garden would make the remaining garden very small, could that be a breach.
    Also the ad says three beds, is that all or are there more in the attic that don't count?

The boundary is the sinker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

pg633 wrote: »
    Reducing the garden would make the remaining garden very small, could that be a breach.
    Also the ad says three beds, is that all or are there more in the attic that don't count?

The boundary is the sinker though.

I've a vague memory that attic conversions have to meet a load of safety regs to be regarded as bedrooms hence most of them will be referred to as attic/loft rooms in property ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭C14N

theteal wrote: »
    I've a vague memory that attic conversions have to meet a load of safety regs to be regarded as bedrooms hence most of them will be referred to as attic/loft rooms in property ads.

Yeah, I viewed a house recently where the agent did say this. The house did have a fourth bedroom in the attic but could only be advertised as 3-bed. There's some kind of requirement that a certain amount of floorspace has to have a certain amount of headroom clearance, and most attic conversions don't meet that requirement as it significantly increases the costs of having one installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

RonanG86 wrote: »

Why would you install a different type of sloped roof on the latest extension , it makes it look even more out of place. That house is bizarre decision after bizarre decision.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The planning is there though, and granted.Looks like there was an old cottage there, and the estate built up around it, hence the oddness of the site.The rear wall appears to be in a genuine location according to planning documents.

Clearly though there is an issue maybe with the side boundary walls.I would still ring the estate agent and ask OP, see if it is an issue that could be resolved.No point in trying to guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

C14N wrote: »
    Yeah, I viewed a house recently where the agent did say this. The house did have a fourth bedroom in the attic but could only be advertised as 3-bed. There's some kind of requirement that a certain amount of floorspace has to have a certain amount of headroom clearance, and most attic conversions don't meet that requirement as it significantly increases the costs of having one installed.

They have to have a 2.2m headroom over a certain square footage of space, among other things.
    Most attic conversions just won't achieve that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭C14N

shesty wrote: »
    They have to have a 2.2m headroom over a certain square footage of space, among other things.
    Most attic conversions just won't achieve that.

Well not without raising the roof or having expensive dormers put in, but from what I gather, either of these options will tend to more than double the price of the coversion. So most will just convert it to a "loft" and give a bit of a wink and a nudge about what it can be used for when selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Including the rear garden being allowed to extend further than the rest of the houses on that road. :eek: :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Including the rear garden being allowed to extend further than the rest of the houses on that road. :eek: :confused:

It would appear the rest of the road was built after the original house on this site was.

That protrusion does not appear to have any issues with its planning or land registration

Caveat Emptor

Just because something has planning permission, does not mean that it is legally sound and permitted. PP only concerns itself with planning matters, and issues surrounding legality are outside of the remit of the CO Co or ABP or both.

For example, I can apply for permission to knock down your house and build a new one with an extension and a pool and.....so on. That doesn't mean I can actually knock your gaff down and move in, though.

There may well be no issues with this property, but I'd pay more heed to the line on the ad regarding boundary issues than I would to the grant of PP.

One more salient point that may be overlooked.......any grant of permission will always say
    "the proposed development must be carried out in accordance with the plans lodged with the council on X date and as amended by request for further information on Y date"
    Has anyone checked that the plans match up with the reality?

(disclaimer - I haven't clicked on any links yet, so that last paragraph may be moot)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

HI All,
    we are in the hunt for a new family home (detached 3 or 4 bed) in or around castleknock area. We came across this house but it was way over our budget :

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/four-on-the-market-three-beds-in-dublin-15-39097773.html

However, it has now come back on the market approx 1/3rd of the cost less than it previously was :
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/the-cottage-delwood-grove-castleknock-dublin-15/4505392

Just wondering if anyone can advise on what may have caused such a dramatic reduction in the price... what am I missing as it seems too good to be true.

Any advice welcome

Before I noticed the boundary issues, I was going to say the address... saying that this house is in Castleknock would be like saying Dunboyne is in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

C14N wrote: »

50% of the room has to be over 8 foot. To be a bedroom.

What the estate estates neglect to say is that all internal are internal doors need to upgraded to fire doors and the ceilings replastered with fire proof board

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Before I noticed the boundary issues, I was going to say the address... saying that this house is in Castleknock would be like saying Dunboyne is in Dublin.

Castleknock Downs etc are a couple of sliotar pucks away, I've seen much worse examples of location theft in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

theteal wrote: »
    Castleknock Downs etc are a couple of sliotar pucks away, I've seen much worse examples of location theft in fairness

Delwood has been castleknock for decades

awec wrote: »
    "Boundary discrepancy" makes it sound like someone has put a fence post in the wrong place.

What is should say is "the entirety of what remains of the garden is actually on public land".

There's a better example in tallagh

https://goo.gl/maps/4nC2eToyoKubk3WD7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That is just nuts.
    How does someone get away with that.

• Advertisement

JimmyVik wrote: »
    That is just nuts.
    How does someone get away with that.

culture

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

culture

Say no more.
    Different laws for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Is it that someone fenced off the NW quadrant of a public green space and used it as their own? Also a car parked beside it that must make **** of a good bit more of the area, if that is what it is.

grassylawn wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Is it that someone fenced off the NW quadrant of a public green space and used it as their own? Also a car parked beside it that must make **** of a good bit more of the area, if that is what it is.

That's exactly what it is ,
    some neck .

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

That's exactly what it is ,
    some neck .

How the council let that slip by I'll never know.

They'' be in court in a few years claiming squatters rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

grassylawn wrote: »

That's a JCB not a car. Video going around a few weeks ago of the area

• Registered Users Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

PCros wrote: »
    Just looked it up on Google maps and the house is a totally different style to the rest of the estate - it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I also wonder what the mapping descrepancies are?

Drug lord house if I've ever seen one.

Any more dogwhistling anti-traveller stuff - "culture" etc etc - and the poster will be taking a holiday from the forum. Not letting that creep in here - on any thread.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Even the front of the house sticks out so much, looks completely different to every other house around it. How can they get away with just building on clearly council owned land though, strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Delwood has been castleknock for decades

Someone's been playing silly beggars there...

Advertisement