Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,001 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brussels still has a few restrictions which some very similar to Ireland esp for Hospitality (except an 11pm close instead of our farce of 8pm)

Is what it is and I can still have a hours in a deserted Amsterdam on route

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Anything need to be done for flying UK -> Ireland?

Do you need to fill out a passenger locator form?

No need for proof of negative test if you're flying and already have vaccines and booster and Covid cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Plf is required although I've never been asked for one, just fill it out when you're queueing to board.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just got back from a break in Budapest and it was brilliant. Plane was mobbed over and back.

It seems the Hungarians have a rather relaxed attitude towards the virus, and while masks were mandatory on public transport and for museums, it seemed to be left to each bar/club/restaurant to decide if they wanted to check for certs or not.

Nightlife was certainly operating at pre-covid times with 6am closing.

And the weather was very pleasant for mid January and certainly not freezing or anything like that. Would highly recommend it if looking to experience nightlife again without curfews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

I'm flying from France to Ireland via the UK with a self transfer, surely I don't need to book a covid test for the 2 hour UK layover where I don't even leave the airport?

It looks like I may need to book a covid test in the UK and then just ignore it and fly to Dublin, anyone any insight or experience with this?

Landside transit

Landside transit is when you pass through UK border control on arrival, but you leave the UK shortly after (usually within 24 hours). You may leave from the same airport, railway station or port where you arrived, or from a different one, so long as you travel directly to that port of departure.

If you qualify as fully vaccinated for travel to England, you do not need to take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England.

Fully vaccinated rules also apply to people aged 17 and under, whether they are vaccinated or not.

If you do not qualify as fully vaccinated for travel to England, you need to take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England.

Read the Travel to England guidance to check if you qualify as fully vaccinated.

You must complete a passenger locator form before you travel to England.

You need to do the following when you complete your passenger locator form.

select ‘Stay in the UK’ under the Your travel plans section

reply ‘I will be travelling for an exempt reason’ to the question about whether you are required to self-isolate on arrival

select the Exemption options, and then select ‘Transit Exemption’

This includes if you are transiting onto the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. You may need to show evidence of onward travel and where you will be staying at the border.

When you are in England you do not need to quarantine or take any COVID-19 travel tests.

You must either:

remain within your port of entry until your departure from England

travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-air-travel-guidance-for-passengers#transiting-through-england

It's not well publicised but this is how you get around having to book a day 2 test. I did this a few months ago.

The other way to get around booking a day 2 test is to use the same one over and over. I used the same Randox reference code on my locator form about 8 times

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Cheers! Came across this one myself so hopefully won't need to explain anything to the flight attendants and whatnot. What a relief

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Travelling to USA next Friday morning, flight is at 9am.

I will need a negative pcr test within 24 hours of travelling is my understanding.

Can I get a 24 pcr test on Wednesday before with results sometime on Thursday, the day before travelling?

Or

Do I need to get a rapid pcr test (12 hrs) on Thursday with results on Thursday to fulfill the 'within 24 hours' requirement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

The latter I think.

The 24 hours count from when the swab is taken

• Registered Users Posts: 27 up-&-at-dem

You will only need an antigen test (faster results and cheaper than PCR) taken on the Thursday, the day before your flight.

Below is from the CDC website regarding Test timings:

''The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Delighted with today's removing of most restrictions in general , but bloody double edged sword if planning a trip. I'm flying on feb11 ,dreading failing the antigen now,as covid will now spread faster over next few wks. I'm being selfish I suppose .

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

The tables have really turned now. With the possible exception of Sweden, we likely have the least restrictions in the EU. Travelling abroad (excluding the UK) is not very appealing at the moment, especially considering many countries still require negative tests for vaccianted people. The Netherlands are still in lockdown, Spain require masks everwhere outside and you need a test or booster to enter hospitality in Germany for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We are SLIGHTLY ahead of other countries in terms of the Omicron wave though. I'd expect them to drop restrictions quickly, once we did, when Omicron calms down and they realise they aren't going to be swamped. Our high levels of vaccination may mean we fared slightly better than they do (regardless of mildness) so there might be a short delay, but its looking up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah but every country will come out of the omicron wave and restrictions will drop. Ireland was ahead of most with our wave.

Look at it this way, the country with the worst restrictions in Europe can drop most of them overnight before the end of the Omicron wave, most countries with high vaccine rates will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

No sign of my booster certificate and I have to travel abroad next week but the new rule coming in means my original vaccine window is up. When you ring the phone lines instead of a waiting queue it tells you all agents are busy and just hangs up on you.

I guess booking a PCR tests before the flight is the only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Post edited by Del Griffith on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Quags

You can order this online, I done it for me da and got the cert inside 48hours or less

https://www.covidcertificateportal.gov.ie/en-US/update-cert/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Found this site pretty handy, is recommended by the airlines too.

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions?affiliateid=aerlingus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

The pharmacist who gave my wife her booster entered the wrong DOB in the database.

After waiting 3 hours on the HSE helpline, they say she has to wait until 28 days after the booster date before she should call again and they will raise a case.

Which means she'll also have to PCR before Feb travel

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Any idea where to get the cheapest Anti Gen for traveling in Dublin?

Do any of them do throat swabs instead of nose?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

• Registered Users Posts: 38,001 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Off i go on my solo holiday to a deserted Amsterdam and then onto Brussels

Ill make the most of it i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

any idea when the unvaccinated will be able to fly internationally again?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

No one knows, some countries are starting to scrap it I believe (Sweden), but sure after that is anyones guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

i'd search back but it's a bit tricky with new boards, so quick one for the travellers - due to fly to India Sat morning at 7am and need a 'pre' travel PCR as they don't seem to care for the EU Covid Cert naturally -

Is Randox the best option? I won't be in Dublin until Friday at the earliest, so I assume their express one is the best option at a higher cost, or has anyone experience of doing a regular Randox test and getting it back same day? (before midnight?)

Advertisement