Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS15/WWDC June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah I just tried maps there with eircodes only and it found both business and home addresses.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Strange, for Dublin Eircodes it gives me the extra address.

I also tried my parent's (plus a few random ones I've never searched for) Eircode in rural Kerry and it picked it up no bother.

I’ve just searched the Eircode for the Radisson Blu in Athlone. Even though it doesn’t show it, I had the A8X9 in the Apple Maps search also.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭drogon.

EirCode can be hit or miss in Dublin as well, have certainly had Apple Maps bring me to some random spot rather than actual address few times !

Strange, for that Eircode I also don't get the correct result, it only picks up N37.

Something to do with the Eircode API?

Other searches with just the Eircode do pickup the extra address though, so it's for sure possible.

I don’t doubt that a lot of you are getting correct results but it’s odd that I’m hitting 0% on any I search. Maybe they haven’t bought the full database.

I don’t doubt that a lot of you are getting correct results but it’s odd that I’m hitting 0% on any I search. Maybe they haven’t bought the full database.

I didn’t get your Athlone address either. Is there a way to report it?

• Advertisement

I didn’t get your Athlone address either. Is there a way to report it?

If there is then they’re normally fairly quick to fix things from past experience

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Funny to see them playing up Safari tab syncing considering it was completely broken there for months.

Anyway, the Mac. This whole continuity thing is ok but not sure it’s ground breaking. Shortcuts? Let’s see. Automation is nice but nothing special.

The whole trend seems to be to design for people with two devices, specially iPad and Mac. How common is that.

Honestly feels like Apple is scraping the barrel for ideas now. Nothing ground breaking, feels more like a point release rather than new version of the OS.

On a side note, feels like google is in a similar boat with Android 12

drogon. wrote: »
    Honestly feels like Apple is scraping the barrel for ideas now. Nothing ground breaking, feels more like a point release rather than new version of the OS.

Well new tabs is definitely filler. The kind of thing that would appear on a slide in other years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The whole trend seems to be to design for people with two devices, specially iPad and Mac. How common is that.

I’d say it’s fairly common for someone with a Mac to also have an iPad. The other way around, certainly not so much, but I guess that’s something Apple would like to change, and therefore they’ll create features that encourage that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Mixed bag this year. Some nice to have features, a lot of features aimed at those who rely heavily on some of the Apple apps and services.

I’d say most of the those messages/FaceTime continuity type stuff is aimed at the US market.

There’s definitely a lot of features this year, some really nice additions. But more of a scattering of smaller updates and features. Nothing major or standout this year it seems, not necessarily a bad thing though. Last year had some bigger updates, hopefully this year will also be a list of solid releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,458 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looking at the privacy anything that will p1ss Zuckerberg off is a good thing.

One of the reasons why I prefer the Apple ecosystem, everything is connected.

I’d say there is a high % of users with an iPhone and either a MacBook / iMac or iPad.

How seamless having the phone and iPad is is the main thing keeps me with Apple. It’s great how it works.

I’d say it’s fairly common for someone with a Mac to also have an iPad. The other way around, certainly not so much, but I guess that’s something Apple would like to change, and therefore they’ll create features that encourage that.

They are definitely promoting it. I would have thought that an iPad and an iPhone, or an iPhone and a Mac (laptop) would make more sense for most. It looks like they want to promote the iPad as a content creator as well these days.

What was missing from this, was any mention of performance increases in software with the M1 chip, and any mention of the new M2 chip. My guess that will come later, and they have worked on it.

I doubt they spent that much developer time on safari tabs ( although hats off to the intern who did that, good work).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This gets said almost every year.
    How do you define groundbreaking?
    I think I've heard people complain about software updates since iOS3.

It's just impossible to have something earthshattering at this stage of the game and I don't see Android doing anything major either.
    It's always gradual increments that lead to overall improvements.

If you go back 5 years to iOS10 you'll see that things have changed a lot and vastly improved despite people complaining ever year that there's nothing new of good.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Mixed bag this year. Some nice to have features, a lot of features aimed at those who rely heavily on some of the Apple apps and services.

I’d say most of the those messages/FaceTime continuity type stuff is aimed at the US market.

There’s definitely a lot of features this year, some really nice additions. But more of a scattering of smaller updates and features. Nothing major or standout this year it seems, not necessarily a bad thing though. Last year had some bigger updates, hopefully this year will also be a list of solid releases.

Only for the reason that What's App and What's App video calling or Zoom are more popular in US than in Ireland and Europe.

I don't know why, I much prefer iMessage to Whats App. Just a cleaner app that presents photos and web page links better imho.

murpho999 wrote: »
    This gets said almost every year.

How do you define groundbreaking?

I think I've heard people complain about software updates since iOS3.

It's just impossible to have something earthshattering at this stage of the game and I don't see Android doing anything major either.

It's always gradual increments that lead to overall improvements.

If you go back 5 years to iOS10 you'll see that things have changed a lot and vastly improved despite people complaining ever year that there's nothing new of good.

As an example, they have been touting iPad as a desktop replacement for a while now, and with the M1 chip I was hoping to see more capability. But this clearly hasn't happened, they added App drawer and widgets from iOS and multitasking was already there, they just changed how it worked. No proper external display support or other inspiration from the Mac.

As an example, they have been touting iPad as a desktop replacement for a while now, and with the M1 chip I was hoping to see more capability. But this clearly hasn't happened, they added App drawer and widgets from iOS and multitasking was already there, they just changed how it worked. No proper external display support or other inspiration from the Mac.

I don't think Apple really have been touting the iPad as a desktop replacement but more the media and users asking if it could.

The M1 strategy in an Ipad is not clear yet and is a new strategy and I think it will become clearer over the next couple of years as it matures.
    Either way you'll always find something that a release can't do.

I personally think iOS 15 is a solid update.

• Advertisement

I don't think Apple really have been touting the iPad as a desktop replacement but more the media and users asking if it could.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/19/18103515/ipad-pro-replace-your-computer-ad-apple

Ok, never seen that before but it's marketing from 2018 and may not have been received well.

Don't see anything on current website for current products promoting the idea of using a tablet as replacement for desktop/laptop.

Either way depending on personal requirements it may well be for some people as not everyone requires a screen to connect to etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Have to file that under strongly disagree. Even before the Pros, it’s been crystal clear that the iPad is apple’s ideal vision to what a computer should be. Of course they’re not going to explicitly tell you to not buy a laptop though.

They haven't been touting iPad as a replacement for the Mac, they have been clear about that for years, clearly the point of continuity is as a companion for the Mac. Thats all they want.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've been using Apple Maps more and more these days, it's actually very good now.

lol.

It’s awful. It’s at least 10 years behind google. I have to say of all the things Apple do, by a massive distance maps is by far the worst.

As for whoever said Maps is as good as Google in Ireland, I’ve some snake oil here I’d like to sell you.

Apple Maps, in 2021, is the worst maps product on the market. It’s not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

awec wrote: »
    I have to say of all the things Apple do, by a massive distance maps is by far the worst.

Guess you haven't used the Books app on iOS for a while :):)

It was actually quite good in the early days of iOS, they re-designed it, with disastrous results.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

quite a few dolby atmos spatial audio albums there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't suppose there was any talk of adding proper external monitor support in iPadOS 15? The iPad pro could replace a desktop for quite a lot of people but not until they add that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Spatial Audio/Dolby Atmos and Lossless have been switched on. You’ll need to dig into the music settings to enable it.

I’m using the AirPods Pro’s so I’m obviously not able to try proper lossless. I can say I hear a small improvement. Not night or day or anything, but the music feels warmer if that makes sense.

The Spatial Audio works as expected, turning your head makes it seems like the audio is coming from the side. I’d tried it once before with Apple TV, it’s much handier with music though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭quokula

As somebody who's made some apps on the side that have made a reasonable amount of money, I can say that Apple may be taking 30% (actually it's been 15% for the last year or so), but I'm absolutely certain that without the tools, services and storefront that Apple provide I'd have zero sales and I'd be without 100% of that income.

And it is technically Apple that pay me. Customers pay them. I don't need to worry about taking credit card details, calculating vat, handling refunds etc, Apple do all of that and send me a single monthly payment. And even for the largest companies on the app store, that is still the same situation. So the statement is not really inaccurate.

Advertisement