Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS15/WWDC June 7th

Options
  • 01-06-2021 3:52pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So with the unveiling of iOS15 just around the corner, what's everyone hoping to see from it??

I have a feeling there's going to be a huge emphasis on iPadOS this year with the m1 iPad Pro needing some heavy software to match the horse power of the machine.

Gonna be an interesting event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

eeloe wrote: »
    So with the unveiling of iOS15 just around the corner, what's everyone hoping to see from it??

I have a feeling there's going to be a huge emphasis on iPadOS this year with the m1 iPad Pro needing some heavy software to match the horse power of the machine.

Gonna be an interesting event.

I have been underwhelmed over the last few years with the WWDC's. Lots of glamour but very little substance. :( Don't get me wrong, there isn't much Apple Tech that I don't have (FanBoy I Know !:)) but recently these have been disappointing to me :(

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A few new animojis I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, I can't really think of much they'll do to the iPhone. the iPad on the other hand needs something to use on that M1, so I wouldn't be surprised if we begin to see something that diverges more from the "iPhone interface on a bigger screen". And more powerful iPad apps - iPad versions of Lightroom Classic, Final Cut, Logic, that type of thing. Not quite the power of the MacOS versions, but more than the current mobile versions of iMovie, GarageBand and Photos. Photoshop has already begun, that I suppose, and there is Lightroom CC, but it's lacking somewhat. (it's such a shame Apple ditched Aperture).

I'd also like to see the iPad (and iOS if possible) support Aggregate audio devices. It's an amazing feature on MacOS that lets you connect multiple USB audio interfaces/instruments and group them so that Logic (or your audio app or choice) can use them all at once. On iOS/iPad OS, Class Compliant USB Audio is supported, but only for one device. Bringing that to the iPad would make it possible for it to be a serious music production machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

WWDC is usually one of my favourite Apple events, especially because a lot of the software stuff doesn’t leak so it is usually the first time seeing some of the updates.

I can see Apple adding features to some of their core apps based on some of the late rumours. And maybe some slight redesigns (based on the screenshots of the new accessibility stuff).

I have heard there could be hardware (MacBooks) unveiled but Apple has mostly moved away from that at WWDC so it will be interesting if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,629 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How nice of apple of have this event on a bank holiday for us in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

awec wrote: »
    A few new animojis I'd say.

In fairness they always do more than that.

Notifications set for a revamp for one thing.

An interesting opening video.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    An interesting opening video.

Yes, I've found these video presentations since Covid to be more watchable and imaginative than the normal live presentations.

Well it’s hardly surprising that last years was the most watched, as no one could go anywhere.

iOS 15.

• Advertisement

FaceTime is being made more natural.

Will iPadOS end up an M1 only update and leave the pretty new preceding iPad Pro’s behind?

I’m not someone who uses FaceTime a lot but this looks good.

murpho999 wrote: »
    In fairness they always do more than that.

Notifications set for a revamp for one thing.

Notifications being anything above terrible would be a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

They’re taking on zoom

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple positioning FaceTime as a Teams/Zoom competitor? FaceTime on the web would have been handily last year though.

Shareplay looks really good.

Always preferred facetime to Zoom and WhatsApp Video and this makes it better.

Here’s the iMessage update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

DubDJ wrote: »
    FaceTime on the web would have been handily last year though.

It feels like it’s a year too late for it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am not sure this is Apple taking on Zoom, more just offering some basic functions like sharing links that people have come to expect from video conferencing platforms over the last year.

Unless it’s available on other platforms then it would be a waste of time pitching it as a zoom alternative. I doubt they are even trying to.

I am not sure this is Apple taking on Zoom, more just offering some basic functions like sharing links that people have come to expect from video conferencing platforms over the last year.

So they're taking on Zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

That phone number recognition will change things

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mr.S wrote: »
    In theory it's all platforms via FaceTime Web.

Can Android users set up Facetime meetings (not just join them) via FaceTime Web though? Even if if they can, I can't them wanting to.

Any word of being able to set a default maps app like you can with a browser?

That live text feature looks really great and useful. Often wished for that in the past instead, especially when people do things like share numbers via screenshot.

Text recognition, meh.

Mr.S wrote: »
    In theory it's all platforms via FaceTime Web.

Web based on a phone is a clunky workaround though. It would need a native app.

• Advertisement

Any word of being able to set a default maps app like you can with a browser?

A google maps url will launch the google app. But there’s no shared protocol there.

Advertisement