Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

What's your location? Most weather sites will be able to tell you what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just had the mother and father of rain in Galway floods all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

Dublin Airport TAF

Temporary

from 05 at 16 UTC to 05 at 19 UTC

Visibility: 1400 m

Broken clouds at a height of 400 ft

Scattered clouds at a height of 2000 ft, Cumulonimbus.

thunderstorm, rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Torrential rain and distant thunder here near Portrane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Certainly plenty of rainfall , very heavy showers around Tralee, got drenched early this morning just after starting work, good sunny spells but rain never far away including this evening. 10.4mm but that is light compared to further up the country by the looks of it. Not many sferics showing up overnight, Thunderstorms slower to get going today and a bit less then I thought but still a fair amount of activity.

More activity over the next couple of days with heavy rain. For thunderstorms looks like the top half of the country with the most activity Fri and Sat.

Lot of rain to fall between here and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

We had 5 bright flashes in athlone between 6 and half 6. Myself and one of the lads at work had a great show put on for us by the weather. Between that and the biblical rain that came with it it was mighty stuff altogether. Couple of the flashes were directly overhead as within 2 seconds we had the flash and then the boom!

Post edited by Rikand on

I can see the impressive cloudtops of the showers west of kildare and the midlands from here in Arklow! I'm 2kms from the Irish Sea!

This is looking NW from here just now

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

Some great rainbows this evening in Wicklow when the sun would peep out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any pot of gold to be had Laddy ?

• Advertisement

Just post the question what happened to all the Thunderstorms we were supposed to get given the warnings, never saw this forum so quite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yesterday just the Northern counties reporting some thunderstorms and seen footage of plenty of flooding.

Today Northern counties again the main area for the threat of thunderstorms, could see a few showing up in the NE and maybe down into N Leinster also I think, heavy rainfall again especially for the Northern half of the country.

Status Yellow - Rain and Thunderstorm warning for Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Dublin, Longford, Louth, Meath, Westmeath, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Update: Heavy thundery showers or longer spells of rain will lead to further localised flooding and hazardous driving conditions

Valid: 10:31 Saturday 07/08/2021 to 00:00 Sunday 08/08/2021

Issued: 10:31 Saturday 07/08/2021

Updated: 10:37 Saturday 07/08/2021

Northern Ireland Warnings

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

UK Met Office Weather Warning (www.metoffice.gov.uk)

Heavy, slow-moving showers, some thundery, may cause travel disruption and flooding in a few places.

Valid: 04:00 Saturday 07/08/2021 to 23:59 Saturday 07/08/2021

Issued: 10:07 Thursday 05/08/2021

Updated: 10:19 Friday 06/08/2021

https://twitter.com/convectivewx/status/1423894882096197634?s=20

Lots of Flooding in Northern counties again today, really having a horrid time weather wise . Some thunderstorm activity. More to come tomorrow , looks like might see a few more storms in the afternoon, the SW might see some activity as well later in the afternoon.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

Monday worth keeping an eye on, could be quite active with widespread thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Surprised nobody mentioned this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

More excessive rain it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Some strikes near ballymahon co longford

Really nice funnel cloud over roscommon town now too. I'm looking at it from north of the town. When I get back on wifi at home I'll try upload the video from my phone. Hopefully the quality will be okay

Warning up by Met Eireann

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Longford, Louth, Meath, Westmeath, Offaly

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Heavy showers or thunderstorms may lead to localised flooding and hazardous driving conditions.
    • Valid: 14:05 Monday 09/08/2021 to 22:00 Monday 09/08/2021
    • Issued: 14:05 Monday 09/08/2021

• Northern Ireland Warnings

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

• UK Met Office Weather Warning (www.metoffice.gov.uk)
    • Heavy showers and thunderstorms may cause flooding and travel disruption in a few places.
    • Valid: 12:00 Monday 09/08/2021 to 21:00 Monday 09/08/2021
    • Issued: 09:47 Monday 09/08/2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

Some huge rumbles the last 15/20 mins outside Drumlish Co.Longford

Some big showers building now and a few sparking. Satellite showing convection growing ( Gifs not working yet on the forum!! )

EDIT: A good few strikes NE of Tuam now .

I might just take a few screenshots from the video instead. My hands are too shaky to be a good cameraman lol

Met Eireann might have to shift there warning a bit more West 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No thunder heard but about 20 mm of rain in half an hour Roscrea. Deluge, max rate according to the Vue 235.2 mm/hr

Seven Worlds will Collide

Met Éireann just included Galway now in the warning.

Fair play meteorite you are always spot on with your warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Lightning reported earlier in North Galway around Dunmore and Glenamaddy areas around 3pm, and also in parts of Co.Roscommon

Didnt see any sparks from my area but heard afew loud rumbles.

Heavy showers on and off since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Moving north east of roscommon now

Can see off in the west more building coming towards me from mayo galway side will pop up photos later some funnels as well

Advertisement