Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New used car, limit of €3500 - looking at Megane

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

This post is just becoming spam now, OP has been given loads of advice.

This post is just becoming spam now, OP has been given loads of advice.

Oh I'm terribly sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Search company registered name, see how long trading, Google the name ....

If car checks out that's a nice one good spec

I shan't bother you much more folks but if I may ask. I'm looking at some Fluence models now, have called two dealers and neither have a service history. Ordinarily that'd bother me but perhaps seeing as I'm at the lower end of the market I should judge it on looks and feel?

Both cars I'm looking at, the respective companies have been around since 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I shan't bother you much more folks but if I may ask. I'm looking at some Fluence models now, have called two dealers and neither have a service history. Ordinarily that'd bother me but perhaps seeing as I'm at the lower end of the market I should judge it on looks and feel?

Both cars I'm looking at, the respective companies have been around since 2004.

Honestly wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Drive it, check for noticeable leaks, rattles etc....
    Check vin matches VLC, check mileage on NCT cert as should have last few put in.
    Most important is belt changed or not and that there is no issues with grinding from engine or gearbox.

If you are unsure bring someone along that knows cars.

Genuinely they're a great car, cheap and cheerful, not a sports car or something that will rock your world but for getting a to b there are a hell of a lot worse ...

Comfort is quite good, definitely not a Mercedes or BMW for comfort but adequate.

One issue I have with the megane at 6ft the seat doesn't go back far enough and God help anyone that would want to sit behind unless their legs are an A4 piece of paper....

If buying off a dealer get them to service it and ask them to prove fuel filter, oil etc was done... Seen many over the years where a service was a look under the bonnet to check levels and closed again.

There is a risk buying anything, you could be sold a lemon, there are new cars coming out as lemons and others have no issues, pure luck at times but as I said no service history, wouldn't put me off.

Hi Folks,

I genuinely and sincerely appreciate all the help that was given to me, it was really invaluable. We went with the below in the end. It seems in great shape, has relatively low mileage and the dealer seemed really quite genuine:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mNqZZ8QeqWgJ:https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-fluence-2011-1-5-dci-tom-tom-low-kms/28395185+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

In case that link isn't working, it's a 2011 Fluence with 126,000km on the clock. We got it for €3850.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Congrats and well wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Great car and very well built. Well wear and congrats on having the patience to seek out a good one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Good to see you bought one. Completely understand asking for feedback, lots of people here know their stuff so it's not difficult for someone to throw an eye over a listing and give their opinion, even if you know what to look for and you're asking multiple times.

People have bought absolute lemons that looked grand so you're definitely within reason to be cautious when spending a few grand. When you've got a set budget and certain requirements it can be difficult alright. Hopefully it keeps her happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Hi Folks,

I genuinely and sincerely appreciate all the help that was given to me, it was really invaluable. We went with the below in the end. It seems in great shape, has relatively low mileage and the dealer seemed really quite genuine:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:mNqZZ8QeqWgJ:https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-fluence-2011-1-5-dci-tom-tom-low-kms/28395185+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

In case that link isn't working, it's a 2011 Fluence with 126,000km on the clock. We got it for €3850.

That's a great car and a bargain, make sure you take good care of her, give her a blast occasionally down the motorway to keep her dpf in good working condition. Once a month put in diesel Miles Plus and service should be on time.

Advertisement