Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a small boat on Lough ree tomorrow. Anywhere good to stop

Options
  • 29-05-2021 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Hiring a small 20ft boat to bring the kids out. Was going from glasson and planned to try stop at Hodson bay and maybe stop somewhere in Athlone town.

Anywhere you would recommend to stop for a picnic or chill out etc. Anyone know if I can stop outside the Radisson or is that a private marina?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Athlone Marina (at the Radisson) is a public marina, however it's one of the few marinas on the Shannon where you need to pay to overnight (€12), I'm sure stopping in there for an hour for 2 would be fine as long as you don't occupy a berth a cruiser might need.

Theres a little office at the entrance where I'm sure you could arrange to stop there for a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Great. Will have a chat with them and keep out of the way so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sorry just back from the Ree myself after a few days offline :) hope you had a good time anyway, great weather for it :) Coosan point was like a Main Street in Dublin even the Garda were out on the water :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

fergal.b wrote: »
    Sorry just back from the Ree myself after a few days offline :) hope you had a good time anyway, great weather for it :) Coosan point was like a Main Street in Dublin even the Garda were out on the water :D

Had a great time. Got stuck in a traffic jam at coosan. Thought it was very amusing. Managed to get down into Athlone and Hudson bay. Lads at Hudson bay got a good laugh at me trying to 'moor?' up. Jetskiers had us rocking all over the place.

Was actually thinking of you out there and the search for the crackerbox. I tried to anchor up and realised how deep it was. Hard to get a sense of just how vast the area is until your on it.

Looking at possibly sharing ownership of a cruiser with the in laws. This trip might have sold me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I felt sorry for some of the day hire boats coming out of Lakeside many of them with young families out for the first time, I'm sure the wakes from some of the jet skies and speedboats were very off-putting and frightening for the young crew :( People still laugh at me mooring up so don't worry about that, some of us may look like pro's pulling into the dock but believe me we curse just like the newbies :) Glad you enjoyed your trip and if you do get one of your own be sure to get a good sonar to help in the search :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement