Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2021 [No Covid posts]

Options
  • 28-05-2021 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

Looks like the Irish open has been included in the list of trial events.

So I'm assuming 500 spectators will be allowed each day. Great news, wonder how the ticket situation will be handled

Edit: actually reading a bit more I think it could be a much higher figure than 500 hopefully.

MOD EDIT: Not the place for COVID discussions, such posts will be moderated

This thread for Covid discussions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

big_drive wrote: »
    Looks like the Irish open has been included in the list of trial events.

So I'm assuming 500 spectators will be allowed each day. Great news, wonder how the ticket situation will be handled

Edit: actually reading a bit more I think it could be a much higher figure than 500 hopefully.

Was going to say surely a good few thousand, they be spread out over a large area bar at certain points. At least it can happen anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

The evidence clearly shows the risk of outdoor transmission is almost non-existent. There's no reason to restrict attendance at golf events. Hoping to get a ticket as soon as they're available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Let's avoid the temptation to drift into COVID discussion please

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Any word on how to get tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

2,500 seems to be the figure that's around articles today. I hope there will be some system where everyone gets a chance to buy a ticket. Perhaps some way that you can only buy a ticket for one day as opposed to people bulk buying for all 4 days while others miss out completely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Any mention on the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Trampas wrote: »
    Any mention on the field?

McIlroy said he would play subject to travel restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

2,500 seems to be the figure that's around articles today. I hope there will be some system where everyone gets a chance to buy a ticket. Perhaps some way that you can only buy a ticket for one day as opposed to people bulk buying for all 4 days while others miss out completely

People that have bought tickets for previous years should get priority imo

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

They started building grandstand around 18th Green this week also marquees going up between by 10th and 16th,working away again this morning

People that have bought tickets for previous years should get priority imo

True if there was some way of doing that it would be good. European tour probably won't go to the hassle of trying that though unless it's easily done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

By the time members are looked after there will be very little for general sale. If any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

1967 wrote: »
    They started building grandstand around 18th Green this week also marquees going up between by 10th and 16th,working away again this morning

I’m playing this week, will there be stands up around the course? Will add a bit to what’s already a fantastic course. Seeing it almost ready (if not ready) for championship golf is going to be class..

Im hoping there might be some chance of getting a ticket, i'm actually on holidays that week so would be great to get up there for a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Benny Cake wrote: »
    By the time members are looked after there will be very little for general sale. If any.

Do members have to pay for tickets? if they are free i cant see them being the bulk of the spectators. If there is spectators the tour will want revenue from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What date is it on

Seve OB wrote: »
    What date is it on

1st - 4th July

Does anyone know is there a pro am day? Unlikely I assume in the current climate

1st - 4th July

Does anyone know is there a pro am day? Unlikely I assume in the current climate

Zero chance of a pro am this year

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AnBeagalltach

Motivator wrote: »
    I’m playing this week, will there be stands up around the course? Will add a bit to what’s already a fantastic course. Seeing it almost ready (if not ready) for championship golf is going to be class..

There is one stand on the 18th but it is hospitality only so more of a tent with viewing platform. According to yesterday’s paper there will be no seating allowed at the event.

A "limited number" of tickets go on general sale at 5pm tomorrow. I assume it'll be very tough to get any.

Priority to be given to people that had tickets for last year.

Zero chance of a pro am this year

Turns out there actually is one

• Advertisement

Turns out there actually is one

I think it's the right call but I'm very surprised they've done it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm volunteering at this on hole 7 for the few days. Anyone done it in the past? How bored am I likely to be? Figured I might as well do it when its so close to home and doubt I'll do it again so standing around for several hours while I'm still in my 30s should be a bit more manageable than if I was older.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

I'm volunteering at this on hole 7 for the few days. Anyone done it in the past? How bored am I likely to be? Figured I might as well do it when its so close to home and doubt I'll do it again so standing around for several hours while I'm still in my 30s should be a bit more manageable than if I was older.

I was marshalling a few years ago. We had the 18th hole at the K Club so was pretty exciting :D

I suppose we had a good bit to do as we had to monitor when it was ok for players to tee off as they couldn't see the landing zone off the Par 5.

Crowd wise though it was pretty quiet most of the day outside of the Irish groups coming through, a swell of people comes through around those groups but then eases off afterwards. A good advantage if you know the course and layout pretty well as I spent most of the week just helping people out with directions to different holes, car parks, toilets, food etc

Grab a tee sheet too so you know who's coming through and when. Helps predict when the crowds will roll in and just generally know who's playing if asked.

Overall with the limited crowd I'd imagine it should be pretty straight forward. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Played there last monday in open singles.
    The rough was very very hard and it seems that they are letting it grow even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Played there last monday in open singles.
    The rough was very very hard and it seems that they are letting it grow even more.

I played Monday as well, the rough was insane especially on the back 9. It was hard enough to dig a ball out of it when it was dry but when that gets wet it will be seriously tough to get out, even for the pros. With another 3 weeks growth it will be like US open rough by the first day of the open. That being said, they need to make the course more of a challenge. Even off the championship tees, most of the par 4s would nearly be reachable with just two irons for the longer hitting pros. Nearly all the par 5s are reachable in two so they need to toughen it up a bit. Even with the rough being the way it is I can still see a very low score winning the Irish Open.

What a treat the course is though, the greens were immaculate and there wasn’t a mark on any of the fairways (not that I hit that many). It’s a great course and will be a fabulous setting for the Irish Open.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm going to chance get a ticket for the Sunday but very hoepful

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Tickets booked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Got 4 tickets for Sunday no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Got tickets for the Friday. Wasn't as much hassle as I thought

• Advertisement

Got one for Thursday, happy out as I'm off work that week. Something to look forward to

They were gone in 4 mins!!! All that was left was some 18-21 year old concession tickets.

Advertisement