Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2021 [No Covid posts]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Received a response from customerservice@europeantour.com this morning and it is not possible to add a child [U12] to an adult ticket even though they are complimentary.

Logic being that due to Covid there was a set number of tickets so needed to add it on purchase.

Luckily I have 2 adult tickets so he can go on one of those, just a bit more expensive:)

so kids are free but you have to buy them an adult ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Quahog217

Does anyone know what the difference between the adult and concession tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Quahog217 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the difference between the adult and concession tickets?

Concession is for ages 18-21

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Some going, out of interest what was your favourite/least favourite course as a spectator?

Thanks -great question. Never thought about that. Despite it being my favourite golf course Ballybee in 2000 was disappointing. My memory of it was that you were kept back on a lot of holes (not too dissimilar to the Old Course at St Andrews) and were viewing from afar.
    Lahinch's athmosphere in 2019 was sublime but so too was Baltray for Shane's W in 2009 and the KClub for Rors in 2016. Adare Manor in 2007 was really well set up (Ive always felt that Podge's win in 2007 set him up for the 3 majors as he had finally crossed that elusive line) and made for easy viewing and parking was so easy unlike the fiasco that happened in Killarney in 1992 when an entire field of cars was left with one exit!
    Ballyliffin in 2018 was probably the most visually spectacular.
    Great memories. Hopefully more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Thanks -great question. Never thought about that. Despite it being my favourite golf course Ballybee in 2000 was disappointing. My memory of it was that you were kept back on a lot of holes (not too dissimilar to the Old Course at St Andrews) and were viewing from afar.
    Lahinch's athmosphere in 2019 was sublime but so too was Baltray for Shane's W in 2009 and the KClub for Rors in 2016. Adare Manor in 2007 was really well set up (Ive always felt that Podge's win in 2007 set him up for the 3 majors as he had finally crossed that elusive line) and made for easy viewing and parking was so easy unlike the fiasco that happened in Killarney in 1992 when an entire field of cars was left with one exit!
    Ballyliffin in 2018 was probably the most visually spectacular.
    Great memories. Hopefully more to come.

Interesting to hear that about ballybunion, I wonder is that why they never went back?

Agreed on Lahinch, that's probably been my favourite overall experience. Ballyliffin was great too and the weather was good for the whole weekend from what I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Interesting to hear that about ballybunion, I wonder is that why they never went back?

Agreed on Lahinch, that's probably been my favourite overall experience. Ballyliffin was great too and the weather was good for the whole weekend from what I recall.

I think Ballybunion was only ever going to be a once off with the year it was. I remember the ropes being far back all right I think it was to protect the dunes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

So I picked up a tkt for my dad for father's day has anyone got any tips for a first time visitor?

He was asking if he could have a drink and a sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

recyclops wrote: »
    So I picked up a tkt for my dad for father's day has anyone got any tips for a first time visitor?

There’s no seating on course but tell him to bring a fold out chair, you know the ones they’re basically a pole that unfolds. I would think he’d be fine to get a drink anyway. It’s going to be a great occasion with only 5,000 a day should have no problem seeing the big boys.

I think they’ll split up the Irish lads, early morning and late afternoon tee times that people get the chance to see McIlroy, Lowry and Harrington. Either split the times or put them out in a 3 ball Thursday and Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

A few tips i'd give having been to a few in the past, no particular order.

- Bring a little backpack if possible, if walking out around the course it can be handy to bring water, couple bits to eat, suncream, light jacket depending on weather.
    - I presume there will be the usual outlets for food and drink despite reduced numbers. I'd bring some food as the options there will be overpriced. Depends a lot on how long a person stays, just a a few hours or obviously if staying for a full day you'll need to eat a bit more
    - The reduced numbers should make it a pleasent viewing experience, usually its a effort to try see the big names. But should be handy this time.
    -Often i'll try find a spot if possible where you can view shots into a green but also the tee for the next hole so you see the drives too
    - Something i like doing is picking a lesser known group and following them for a bit. Its a great chance to really see the players up close. I followed a group with David Howell in Fota one year and there was only 7 spectators as everyone was gone looking at McIlroy & Harrington, it was a great experience as the group appreciated us following them and interacted with us. Plus we got to see up close just how gifted these guys are at the game. and even a player there thats not well known will still be an exceptional golfer.
    - As i mentioned above its Ireland so prepare for any weather. A spare set of clothes in the car can be good depending on how far the travel home is

If anything else comes to mind i'll put it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭blackwhite

big_drive wrote: »
    -Often i'll try find a spot if possible where you can view shots into a green but also the tee for the next hole so you see the drives too

Some courses can be great in that you find 2 greens and 2 sets of tees relatively close together.

From memory, the only real places for that at MJ will be the 11th and 14th par 3s (which also have 14th green) but I remember that area being quite wooded so will be limited spots where you'd actually be able to see more than one hole at a time.

9th and 18th greens are also close enough together, with 17th tee close also. Mightn't be the worst spot, but likely to be busier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

If anyone has a spare ticket for the Thursday I'd be interested in it!

RoadRunner wrote: »
    If anyone has a spare ticket for the Thursday I'd be interested in it!

Keep an eye on done deal next week closer to the time. I've seen them pop up most years. Obviously more of a long shot this time with reduced numbers but still a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

Anyone aware of any other covid 'rules' surrounding the event , it seems like there is no seating according to previous posts ,from previous experience at these events it can be a long tiring (albeit enjoyable) day with lots of walking. Part of the fun for me would be the visits to the various drinks tents ,betting emporiums ,tented village . Have 2 tickets for Thursday, however should there be any strict rules re mask wearing ,vaccine proof etc they can shove it !

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Anyone know if it's ok to resell tickets for the event? Should be selling mine as I'm needed to work on the Sunday

Anyone know if it's ok to resell tickets for the event? Should be selling mine as I'm needed to work on the Sunday

I'd imagine it's ok. But with covid etc maybe name on ticket must match an ID, maybe it's possible to change name. A quick email to European tour site would probably tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

big_drive wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's ok. But with covid etc maybe name on ticket must match an ID, maybe it's possible to change name. A quick email to European tour site would probably tell you

I think there is a 7 day window in which to change the name on tickets ,part of the new regime we are living under

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Looking at the field next week and apart from our own. Just Fleetwood and Kaymer who would attract some people.

It is like we've gone back 10 years again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

nonsheep7 wrote: »
    Anyone aware of any other covid 'rules' surrounding the event , it seems like there is no seating according to previous posts ,from previous experience at these events it can be a long tiring (albeit enjoyable) day with lots of walking. Part of the fun for me would be the visits to the various drinks tents ,betting emporiums ,tented village . Have 2 tickets for Thursday, however should there be any strict rules re mask wearing ,vaccine proof etc they can shove it !

id imagine it will be quick tests upon entry like temperature tests etc, then when in the tents themselves it will be masks on until back out in the open. As a trial event I don't see it being very laissez-faire.

I've to take Antigen tests whenever visiting my office so I will be taking one before attending as unfortunately still not vaccinated but don't want to make others sick if I'm asymptomatic

id imagine it will be quick tests upon entry like temperature tests etc, then when in the tents themselves it will be masks on until back out in the open. As a trial event I don't see it being very laissez-faire.

I've to take Antigen tests whenever visiting my office so I will be taking one before attending as unfortunately still not vaccinated but don't want to make others sick if I'm asymptomatic

Thats all fair enough. I'm just delighted to have a ticket for it, no problem wearing a mask or doing whatever is asked of me. Just happy its on and its something to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dizzydoll

Pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Yes that's it. Anyone who has an issue with the measures in place should stay at home and leave the tickets for people who do want to adhere.

Yes that's it. Anyone who has an issue with the measures in place should stay at home and leave the tickets for people who do want to adhere.

100%, i'll walk backwards in my bare feet around the course next week if they ask me. Just so grateful to have got a ticket and delighted to finally have some live sporting event to attend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Looking at the field next week and apart from our own. Just Fleetwood and Kaymer who would attract some people.

Id imagine Covid has a lot to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Every European Tour event since covid has been like this. This field is probably stronger than most given we get Rory, Shane and Fleetwood. That's more star power than any European Tour event has had in a long time I'd say

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The ET had taken a serious dive in COVID times, they're all across the pond with much easier access to tournaments and less inter country travel.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

DuckSlice wrote: »
    Id imagine Covid has a lot to do with that.
    OEP wrote: »
    Every European Tour event since covid has been like this. This field is probably stronger than most given we get Rory, Shane and Fleetwood. That's more star power than any European Tour event has had in a long time I'd say

I understand that but this would be the few weeks the European based players head back for Open build up.

I guess they don't want to be stuck here if restrictions happen and just head straight to UK

Scottish line up is looking strong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Yea, I'd say they want to keep inter-country travel to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Where are you seeing the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭me89

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

What about Robert Macintyre, Victor Perez?

Advertisement