Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I know for a fact you don't get 60k starting at Intel.

I have friends in there, average talent wise. From memory they get about 36k all in which includes a 20 or 30% shift allowance. Hour of overtime per shift (half hour cross over going in and out)

Your rota is permanent aswell meaning you could be working christmas day etc.
    I worked there in 2000 for 1 year before but voluntary redundancy

£24k+19% OT+30% shift allowance = €47k
    On top of that we got 3 bonuses snd stock. So could we’ll be more than 60k now. My first pay rise was 18%

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

That's an Interesting way of looking at it but Job Snobbery exists unfortunately. One of my parents worked as a Manager I've only recently learned he now takes meds for depression this is as a result of his Job long term so it wouldn't be for me that's not to say everyone is the same the poster above has a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

ted1 wrote: »
    I worked there in 2000 for 1 year before but voluntary redundancy

£24k+19% OT+30% shift allowance = €47k
    On top of that we got 3 bonuses snd stock. So could we’ll be more than 60k now. My first pay rise was 18%

There's a reason most of the people they hire are level 7's with 2.1s and 2.2s

If the pay was that good they'd have far higher quality candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Hibernia93 wrote: »
    That's an Interesting way of looking at it but Job Snobbery exists unfortunately. One of my parents worked as a Manager I've only recently learned he now takes meds for depression this is as a result of his Job long term so it wouldn't be for me that's not to say everyone is the same the poster above has a good example.

I'm at the very beginning of a career that I've worked towards for the last 6/7 years and although it feels great to finally be on the cusp of achieving what I set out to do back in 2014, I have yet to decide if the stress is worth it.

I have at least another 2 hours of work to get through before I hit the hay tonight and I've had a pain in my stomach since 1pm today because I'm so stressed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Feel very fortunate but also aware there is no way this lasts.

I agree here... I do not expect this level of pay will last, and plan for it. I suspect a lot if people will get caught out expecting the current tech bubble to last forever

• Advertisement

That’s a real ignorant comment.

Higher candidates don’t want to work shift. The job doesn’t require a level 8 or 9. I was a 7 at at the time but went Back and got a 8 and 9.

They Job doesn’t require higher quality as it’s not a Design job. It’s a technician level. An 8 or 9 would be wasted in there, unless they come of shift. But then they lose their shift and overtime allowance. And end up with less money.

Also from my experience people who get 2.1s or 2.2 make better employees than people who got a first. Just because you test well doesn’t mean you do well in a work place.

You work 37 hours one week and 49 the next
    3 days on 4 off , 4 on 3off
    A month of days, a month of night
    6 months of Sun, Mon, tues and every 2nd wed then after 6 months you do the opposite. (12 hour 30 minute shifts)

As a young person it was great. Long weekend every week and extra long during change overs. Lots of European get aways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Particularly as there's no such things as 2.1 or 2.2 at level 7. Besides which, the last graduate salary survey I saw showed those with a level 7 degree typically earned more than those with a level 8. They are often more focused or cover a niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

MindBent wrote: »
    Electrician working at a pharmaceutical plant in Cork. Base is 50k. We get payed travel and get some overtime, more so for shutdowns. This can push it over 60K. We work for contractors based on site and not directly employed by the pharma company.

If you are paid tax free expenses to travel to and from your main place of work, you could find yourself in serious tax troubles down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hibernia93 wrote: »
    Work in Retail probably 20k a year 27 still live at home with parents. I wouldn't say I hate reading these threads but definitely feel embarrassed and even ashamed that I still haven't found what I'm supposed to do with life. That's not to be critical of others it's just all on myself. Summer time is always the worst in normal times especially on a Friday seeing people your own age having weekend pints. It's the worse conversation to get into you when meeting new people I've even lied to strangers in pubs about the work I do and just change the subject sometimes tell them I work in Sales and change the subject. Its not that I'm snobby it's just my own Insecurity. I've met great and happy friends in work but there other half's are all in good employment and some have mortgages. During the pandemic it was nice to be viewed as an Essential Worker but I don't think that view will last unfortunately when the world reopens. I Can say I'm very generous with money towards others think that comes from the shame in a weird way. I've been asked to be a grooms by a very good friend of mine who I only met in 2016 through football who is a software developer and does grinds as a nixer on crazy money I'm actually really worried about the questions from others at the table because I know they'll all have better Jobs and I've only met the bride and Groom. Life is what you make it a Postman said that to me best piece of advice given not that I've used it yet I'm not making excuses for myself Only I can make myself happy but it's very tough when suffering alone and the fear of the unknown and failure.

Nothing will change unless you change it yourself. What about education and your studies what have you done there ? I worked in retail years ago very short time. Didn't like it so I moved on. One life and its going to be mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MindBent

If you are paid tax free expenses to travel to and from your main place of work, you could find yourself in serious tax troubles down the line.

It's taxed. We get one and a quarter hours a day for travel, which is €150 a week pre tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

@hibernia93 there is absolutely nothing wrong with retail. There are progression opportunities in every industry and with that much experience you must know it inside out. See if you can understand what is needed to progress, might be a short course or maybe some interview or career coaching. Then try applying for team lead if it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Higher candidates don’t want to work shift. The job doesn’t require a level 8 or 9. I was a 7 at at the time but went Back and got a 8 and 9.

They Job doesn’t require higher quality as it’s not a Design job. It’s a technician level. An 8 or 9 would be wasted in there, unless they come of shift. But then they lose their shift and overtime allowance. And end up with less money.

Also from my experience people who get 2.1s or 2.2 make better employees than people who got a first. Just because you test well doesn’t mean you do well in a work place.

You work 37 hours one week and 49 the next
    3 days on 4 off , 4 on 3off
    A month of days, a month of night
    6 months of Sun, Mon, tues and every 2nd wed then after 6 months you do the opposite. (12 hour 30 minute shifts)

As a young person it was great. Long weekend every week and extra long during change overs. Lots of European get aways

Pussyhands is obviously a bit upset that the level 7s are getting so well paid :D. You hit the nail on the head. The reason the pay is so good is to retain employees working shift.

It takes so long to get someone anyway proficient that they give good pay to hold them. Shift is not for everyone I have seen multiple people work one week of nights and leave. Then as the years go by it gets harder so the high pay is the incentive to stay.

Edit: I just noticed it was pussyhands that responded to my first comment about the pay. He didn't reply as he couldn't dispute my claims. Just ignore the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My next significant birthday will the 50 :)
    I found once you hit 100K you are working so much you just get burnt out.
    The strategy that I employed the last few years was when I get a raise to work less.

So now im still getting the same pay as 5 years ago but instead of working 5 days plus heaps of OT.
    Im now working 3.5 days a week only for that pay. I refuse promotions because they mean more work.

Im going to take a year or two off now too once covid is over.
    I spent my 20s, 30s and half my 40s slaving for the buck and the status.
    Not anymore. Ive enough money now to do me for some time, and im going to enjoy the time from here on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I'm at the very beginning of a career that I've worked towards for the last 6/7 years and although it feels great to finally be on the cusp of achieving what I set out to do back in 2014, I have yet to decide if the stress is worth it.

I have at least another 2 hours of work to get through before I hit the hay tonight and I've had a pain in my stomach since 1pm today because I'm so stressed out.

I can tell you now....having done the stress...no job is worth it.It takes most people til their mid to late 20s to realise that though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

LawBoy2018 wrote: »

I can tell you now....having done the stress...no job is worth it.It takes most people til their mid to late 20s to realise that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

JimmyVik wrote: »
    My next significant birthday will the 50 :)
    I found once you hit 100K you are working so much you just get burnt out.
    The strategy that I employed the last few years was when I get a raise to work less.

So now im still getting the same pay as 5 years ago but instead of working 5 days plus heaps of OT.
    Im now working 3.5 days a week only for that pay. I refuse promotions because they mean more work.

Im going to take a year or two off now too once covid is over.
    I spent my 20s, 30s and half my 40s slaving for the buck and the status.
    Not anymore. Ive enough money now to do me for some time, and im going to enjoy the time from here on.

The promotion BS is just a way to have you do more work. A real slave to the wage. The sweet spot is to get into a position where you rise up but pass the work or the majority to others. Lots of young ones loving the opportunity to work long hours to prove themselves... if only they knew.

shesty wrote: »

I disagree. Almost everything worth achieving takes work. Career, family, fitness. All of it is effort. Putting yourself under some stress can pay off, if you can manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

shesty wrote: »

Depends.

I get a lot of stress from not having enough money, with family etc. If I got 100k cash tomorrow all of that would be solved though so I wouldn't care about having a stressful job

Depends.

I get a lot of stress from not having enough money, with family etc. If I got 100k cash tomorrow all of that would be solved though so I wouldn't care about having a stressful job

It wouldn’t ... mo’money, mo’problems

notAMember wrote: »
    I disagree. Almost everything worth achieving takes work. Career, family, fitness. All of it is effort. Putting yourself under some stress can pay off, if you can manage it.

Seriously stressful jobs and 'takes work' are not equivalent. Some jobs are designed to bleed you dry, there's no 'if you can manage it'.

• Advertisement

Seriously stressful jobs and 'takes work' are not equivalent. Some jobs are designed to bleed you dry, there's no 'if you can manage it'.

Jobs are not "designed" to bleed you dry. It certainly happens, with crappy management. But the stress I'm talking about is adding new training courses to your workload, self-improvement, taking on more responsibilities etc.

Those are short term stressors, that pay off.

notAMember wrote: »

People need to be able to build on the amount of stress they can handle and deal with through out their life. This starts from childhood, through school, leaving cert, college exams and work etc..

People that handle this better tend to achieve more, IMO.

mloc123 wrote: »
    People need to be able to build on the amount of stress they can handle and deal with through out their life. This starts from childhood, through school, leaving cert, college exams and work etc..

People that handle this better tend to achieve more, IMO.

Funny.
    When you get to your mid 40s you get a whole new view of working and life in general.
    Dont know why, but most people I know are the same.
    Hard to describe but all the way up to mid 40s people cant wait to tell you how hard they work or how good they are at their job.
    After that though its, been there, done that, dont really need to be convincing other people of how hard i work anymore.

Funny.
    When you get to your mid 40s you get a whole new view of working and life in general.
    Dont know why, but most people I know are the same.
    Hard to describe but all the way up to mid 40s people cant wait to tell you how hard they work or how good they are at their job.
    After that though its, been there, done that, dont really need to be convincing other people of how hard i work anymore.

My point is, a job that somebody in there 20s might see as stressful is not stressful to somebody in their 30s... as they can handle the situation better etc..

Or another way to look at it... the leaving cert is the most stressful thing in the world for a 16yr old. Most 30 years olds would breeze through it without issue.

My point is, a job that somebody in there 20s might see as stressful is not stressful to somebody in their 30s... as they can handle the situation better etc..

Or another way to look at it... the leaving cert is the most stressful thing in the world for a 16yr old. Most 30 years olds would breeze through it without issue.

Most people arent doing the same level of job in their 30s that they were doing in their 20s though. Jobs get bigger the older you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Promotions don't equal more stress.
    In many cases, the job gets easier the higher you go up to a point.
    Middle management is usually the sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

dubrov wrote: »
    Promotions don't equal more stress.
    In many cases, the job gets easier the higher you go up to a point.
    Middle management is usually the sweet spot.

Is middle management not the worst? You're getting squeezed from the top and the bottom.

Most people arent doing the same level of job in their 30s that they were doing in their 20s though. Jobs get bigger the older you get.

This is what I am saying.. for most people. Initially there will be some additional stress, which people will adapt to and then the job becomes easy again.

So I do not understand the people that say they wouldn't take a promotion, as the stress isn't worth it.

This is what I am saying.. for most people. Initially there will be some additional stress, which people will adapt to and then the job becomes easy again.

So I do not understand the people that say they wouldn't take a promotion, as the stress isn't worth it.

Its the time more than anything.
    Take my case for example.
    I am managing 2 teams, but if I was to take another promotion I might have 2 teams 4 teams to manage. It would be an extra €20k or so, but then at that level you dont get paid for overtime and it would definitely be far more hours.
    So when I leave it as it is I get work less and if they do call me to do overtime i dont do it unless it is 4x pay.
    So happy days, they hardly ever want me as its too expensive to them, and when they cant get away without me i get 4x salary for the pleasure.
    If I took the promotions those hours would be part of the job and i wouldnt be paid for them.
    Also nowadays im using up parental leave to but down work hours too.
    Not too long ago, when i was a young buck I would be delighted for the title and extra hours, but not so much these days.
    At least for me anyway

• Advertisement

Also nowadays im using up parental leave to but down work hours too.
    Not too long ago, when i was a young buck I would be delighted for the title and extra hours, but not so much these days.
    At least for me anyway

I get that... I have had the same title for 6 years now, but total pay has doubled in that time so I don't care. I know people that would probably take a pay cut to have a better title, because it would look better on Linkedin

Advertisement