Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working - the future?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

that's fine but be upfront about it rather than dictating that its best all round.

If someone said wfh suits me great and i dont give two figs about what that means for anyone else at least they are being honest, but to present it as the best solution all round is something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Do you not find the selfishness of people looking for more money galling, or is it limited to WFH?

Do you think being paid a salary that reflects your skills and experience to an organisation is selfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

With respect. You were a bit quick with the sweeping generalisations yourself.

In my opinion, there is no one size fits all when it comes to a discussion about WFH etc. Its both role and personality dependent.

Really if a company is all about the bottom line, they can hardly complain when employees take the same approach.

I know even though I've been asked for my opinion at work. It won't matter. The CEO will dictate what happens, and line managers will make their own local arrangement where they have the discretion to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No, obviously I don't. You're the one who seems to thinks we should bow down and be subservient to our employers. Was just wondering where you draw the line.

• Advertisement

i dont recall saying one size fits all, and have been supportive of blended working arrangements. There are some circumstances where remote working makes sense but i see those as being in the minority to be honest.

People who are pro fully remote working appear to get triggered when there is any dissenting opinion unfortunately.

so what point were you making, at the moment it looks like you were trying to be smart and failed.

Exactly. The Great Resignation in the US really opened people eye's to the value of work and work life balance.

Disagreeing with someone and correcting them isn't being "triggered".

People have done remote working for years. Outsourcing, and working internationally and remote offices. Sales people on the road, engineers working off site. There are metrics for it all.

I would have though disagreement was a normal part of conversation but it appears not to be tolerated in this thread, i take issue with your use of the term corrected, who has corrected me?

And thanks for the lesson in the obvious but we arent talking about the people who have worked remotely for years are we, its the people who werent remote before and want to be now. And most outsourcing is office based, just in a different office so not really the same thing either.

• Advertisement

I understood his point.

There is an irony in implying people selfish because they won't consider the needs of the company. When all they are doing is copying the companies mindset of looking after #1. Everyone suiting themselves seem fair enough.

of course you did.

the irony being of course is that the selfishness i referred to was in relation to other employees in the first instance not employers, it was only when the poster went full Richard Boyd Barrett and brought up the large company making 'buckets' of profits and underpaying workers that corporate entities came into it at all.

Anyway, this is becoming boring, we disagree, the difference is i am not taking it as a personal affront (nor do you appear to be so far lest you take that inference). Like i said if people arent happy with their employer go somewhere that the terms suit your requirements, good luck to anyone looking for fully remote working, enjoy it.

Seems "triggering" works both ways too. :)

A lesson in the obvious seem to be required. Remote working is being remote. the rest is just semantics.

If people ended up working remotely due to the lockdown etc. It would seem they are all now part of the "have worked remotely previously" group.

Some people don't like working remotely. They like the office. Nothing wrong with that. But can't really use the arument it doesn't work, when its been working for many the past two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭_gir

Employer saying as the legislation stands, if you’re officially hybrid working, they need to inspect your place of work to make sure it’s safe and is fire safety ok for a commercial premises not just a private residential one. This can’t be true right? Otherwise nobody in a flat would pass officially

I always understood that to be a requirement though not always enforced (in my experience) prior to lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

its true in that the employer should have already completed a health and safety assessment with you if you have been working remotely. Cant comment about the fire safety re commerical premises question.

We completed a check list and Virtual ergonomic risk assessment. All done remotely.

Also its an inspection of your work station not your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Remote working is as we know it is quite different from WFH, though.

It's generally working from an outsourcers office, or a clients premises, or your car.

No kids or dependent elders in the background, no neighbours popping in for a visit cos they saw the car and knew you were home. No one able to look in your window and see your laptop screen.

Sometimes remote work has far more risks to personal safety than WFH would, eg RTAs or uncontrolled risks on client premises. Sometimes just different.

No one able to look in your window and see your laptop screen - what?. What kind of remote work is done from a car?

Honestly what has someone's neighbours calling in or anything in their home life got to do with remote working?

Are you for real or just taking the piss at this stage. Some of your comments are very entertaining but also very paranoid.

That cheered me up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Are you serious with this? My work would often have involved teams going to client site pre Covid and this would never have been considered remote work.

Your posts do nothing for your clear desire for 100% office based work and takes away from people who can see some benefit in 1 day a week but 4 days remote etc with your gross generalisations.

Also, my car has been parked outside for the past 2 years while I work at home and not one neighbor has called in to see me - I must have a word with them the next time I see them!

The point is you don't have to be face to face to work with people effectively.

• Advertisement

I think "won't you consider the other workers" isn't really about the other workers. It's about the employer.

The appropriate response to hyperbole is even more ridiculous hyperbole.

A lesson in the obvious is required if what you are saying is that people working together in a satellite office or people working in an outsourced services company is the same as a person working from home alone.

Also saying something worked when there was no alternative isnt really a ringing endorsement. It's like saying eating outdoors at a restaurant worked, sure in so far as you can goto a restaurant and get a meal but it isn't as good as eating inside unless conditions are totally optimal.

Personally I'm glad to be back eating indoors again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If they wouldn't pass officially, that's because they don't have a safe workplace.

Crazy analogies aside.

Remote of any kind is not "in person". The interference was being made that anything other than "in person" is not simply better, but unworkable.

People seem to be institutionalised to the office. They don't seem to be aware that lots of us have worked remotely (at home and other locations) with people all over the world for years.

If people can't do it, or don't like it fine. I know one person who on learning the company was closing the office and everyone would be WFH going forward, immediately quit. Nothing wrong with that either. Each to their own.

I wonder would their office pass the same test.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If they are a decent employer, they will have been doing the tests for their offices for years, and addressing any issues arising.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭techman1

It seems that all the older established workers want to continue to WFH but the new younger workers want to get back to the office so that they can bond and learn and really get with the job and the culture. Since covid started the power balance has been with the older workers who had most of the knowledge of how things worked up to now which they learned from not WFH but on site.

However as the main activity reverts back on site and as new methods and ideas will come from the younger workforce on site the older workers still WFH will find themselves like beached whales and increasingly obsolete and outside the loop

absolute rubbish. Some posters here seem to hate remote working - dont want it for themselves or anyone else and dont know how it works thats all. As someone else said... institutionalised to the office and only one way of working and thinking.

The real world is completely different and not that black and white. Lots of reasons people want or enjoy working remotely - age may be one factor but not the only one.

Younger workers with their traditional inability to grasp new technologies and ideas and love for the old fashioned ways.

It's why all these new tech companies, new media etc are full of older workers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/26/business/economy/return-office-young-workers.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Unfortunately not a subscriber but would love to be able to read that

Advertisement