Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snaglist

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Not in Ireland anyway. Same as our roads. We aren't patient enough to do the job properly.

Wouldn't say the same standards apply in a country like Germany where they do everything correctly.

Feck sake there are chancers and shoddy workers in Germany as well. Just like every other country

• Registered Users Posts: 33,276 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That all depends on whos building the build and whether the attention to detail is applied or not.

What's acceptable to you might not necessarily be acceptable to another person. The standards of building in Ireland is quiet poor to be honest.

I had a client once who, among other things, decided the gap between the door and frame when the door was closed was too much. He wanted absolute minimum gap (less than 1mm if possible, just once the door still closed properly without hitting the frame). I pointed out that the gap between the door and frame was to an acceptable standard as per the regs, and as such I wasn't going to put it on the snag list as it hadn't been requested or specified that he wanted absolute minimal gap and therefore the builder wouldn't have been working to that standard, and that the work required would either create a bigger gap hinge-side, or require a new door.

I told him I wasn't going to add it to the snag list, but he could ask the builder to do it himself. I think the builder agreed to do maybe two or three of the most used doors but said he wouldn't do others without a variation.

Some of these things are subjective, and the builders have tolerances and standards they have to meet. If you're expecting more than that, I hope you made it absolutely clear to your builder from the start and that he charged accordingly. Without being able to see your snag list, we can't judge if the builders work was below standard or not.

There will always be snags, as most of the time snag inspections are carried out while some works still on-going or to flag things to be done before it's given the final run-through or lick of paint. The builder might already be aware of most of the snags already without having to be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Feck sake there are chancers and shoddy workers in Germany as well. Just like every other country

I am not so sure about that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sydthebeat wrote: »

Ah here come on now. Are they proper sources? Don't believe everything you read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Don't believe everything you read.
    Your posts included in that statement?

Ah here come on now. Are they proper sources? Don't believe everything you read.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

COMSPIRACY THEORY FORUM THIS WAY
    >

There are none so blind.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

COMSPIRACY THEORY FORUM THIS WAY
    >

There are none so blind.....

Move along now if you have nothing to add.

muffler wrote: »
    Your posts included in that statement?

Good one.

Some time ago I was asked to snag a new semi-d house where the couple had already moved in. Basically it was client driven as they pointed out most of the faults but I did manage to find a few additional issues despite the house being furnished. The list was quite lengthy, maybe 40 - 50 items listed but as I said most were dictated by the client.

The guy living next door was an ex neigbour of mine so I popped in to see him when I was there. He had also just moved into his new home and on that particular day he had the Polyfilla out touching up the odd crack and the odd bit of missing plaster before he painted. The works he was doing were exactly what his neighbour wanted included in the snagging list.

But neither of them were wrong. They just had different opinions on what a contractor should be brought back to the property for.

Whether your list is 1 item long or 501 long its still a list and if reasonable should be addressed by the contractor. However, expecting sheer perfection is is pure folly.

• Advertisement

Move along now if you have nothing to add.

:D

its not me whos stuck LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP, what is acceptable is an imagined reality unless it is speced in the tender document.
    eg, if you wanted 3 mm gaps between the tiles, and it ends up as four, then tough unless it was speced.

You talk about holes etc, lets see a few pictures of what is bothering you
    This thread bothers me
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057988023&page=363

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

OP, what is acceptable is an imagined reality unless it is speced in the tender document.
    eg, if you wanted 3 mm gaps between the tiles, and it ends up as four, then tough unless it was speced.

You talk about holes etc, lets see a few pictures of what is bothering you
    This thread bothers me
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057988023&page=363

Very professional thanks. At least all the finishes I see here are top dollar :D

:D

its not me whos stuck LOL

Me either tbh. I guess I'm just a particular fussy bOllox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,276 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Me either tbh. I guess I'm just a particular fussy bOllox :D

It genuinely depends on what your snags raised were, especially the ones your engineer didn't have on his list. The truth likely falls somewhere in between. You might be right on many things, you might be expecting too much on others. But oftentimes the effort, patience and skill to get something from 95% right to 100% right really isn't worth it, especially if that 95% right version is still within all acceptable tolerances, standards and quality and doesn't cause any issues.

Advertisement