Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formerly respected journalists and broadcasters.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Roy Greenslade: Former Guardian columnist and former Professor of Journalism. Turns out he was a member of the Provisional IRA and SF for much of his career, while never revealing that. Revealed recently, and one of his nastiest pieces involved trying to minimise the rape of a 16 year old girl because it was someone very very close to Gerry Adams who brutalised her.

He was never a member of PIRA. He only became an SF member recently, though supported them for many years. It is questionable how secret his SF support was. Private Eye referred to him as 'Roy of the Provos', so it was presumably common knowledge in journalistic circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

tdf7187 wrote: »
    He was never a member of PIRA. He only became an SF member recently, though supported them for many years. It is questionable how secret his SF support was. Private Eye referred to him as 'Roy of the Provos', so it was presumably common knowledge in journalistic circles.
    Being english he could get away with such support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Snowflake yes, but "woke", while not ideal, is shorthand for something very real - namely the lack of tolerance for views that aren't extreme at all, just simply questioning. Even liberals (as I am) who would have laughed at it and viewed the idea as a right-wing delusion just a few years ago, are now concerned about it.

Ah, liberals. An outspoken group on many subjects. 10 degrees to the left of center in good times, 10 degrees to the right of center if it affects them personally.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Ah, liberals. An outspoken group on many subjects. 10 degrees to the left of center in good times, 10 degrees to the right of center if it affects them personally.
    "Everyone who doesn't agree with every tiny segment of certain ideologies... even the delusional bits... is Hitler."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

"Everyone who doesn't agree with every tiny segment of certain ideologies... even the delusional bits... is Hitler."

Who are you quoting there, P?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I can't think of one famous journalist that I hold in high regard.

I think the only way to become famous in the world of journalism is to lose your integrity

John Snow?

Was Icke ever a journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That was amazing!

"Im going to go off now and sue an old woman for a field"

:pac:
    Took him a while to get going, by the time he got to comparisons with the US President, he was in full flow. One of the funniest things I've ever seen, love the backhanded compliments thrown in too "this woman was elected by the people to be corrupt".

I like to think that some RTE producer creamed themselves when this was unfolding KEEP THAT F*CKIN CAMERA AND MICROPHONE ON THAT MAN!

Plenty of people would agree with at least some of what he said.

IIRC his name was Alan and he died a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was Icke ever a journalist?

A broadcaster, which is why I put journalist and broadcaster in the thread title.

A broadcaster, which is why I put journalist and broadcaster in the thread title.

Ok he was sports as far as I know. Just give the results. Piers Morgan be one. However he seem to got away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

OK so doubt he was ever respected but Paul Williams

Did his best to hang Maurice McCabe

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Hurrache wrote: »
    "Wokeness". I'd happily see the phrases blast it with piss/yore ma in return for this phrase, and everyone that uses it, being physically blasted with piss.

You mightn’t like it, but it identifies something real. (Proof of this is surely that it was initially used by the people it refers to before they abandoned it.)
    Everyone knew he was a canktankerous diva before but respected his journalistic skills. That situation is still the same.

Or maybe not so many of the general public knew the former and idolized him. But in the industry his reputation is the same as its always been.

Maybe his bad business acumen is a little more publicly known though.

He is still respected as a journalist by people though professionally even by people who don't like him personally.

I think people mistook his journalistic stance as being how he lived. As in being critical of bankers. And were disappointed to find out ...he didn't live like this.

I look at it differently. Someone who kept independent as a journalist. I respect that.

he could have bowed to a lot of people he didn't bow to in his line of work. Whatever he did personally is nothing to do with that.

Not entirely sure what his journalistic skills are. Certainly as host of Tonight his interviews consisted of barely coherent haranguing of guests.

What are you referring to about how he lives? House in Dalkey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 FactsANDLogic

The whole of the BBC can now be put in the bin.

Once the pinnacle of journalism and respect world wide.

The whole of the BBC can now be put in the bin.

Once the pinnacle of journalism and respect world wide.

Since the explosion of social media. They appear to be more interested in hits than give the story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 FactsANDLogic

YFlyer wrote: »
    Since the explosion of social media. They appear to be more interested in hits than give the story.

They took on the early days Buzzfeed model of posting questions in titles or using a cliff-hanger. It looks so cheap. They were investigated for clickbait and seemed to tone it down a bit.

They also got too 'Londonised'. Very group think. Their news and articles just don't resonate with ordinary folk. Lots of LGBT stuff which is fringe.

Advertisement